2013/12/13: NES: Cliffhanger, Dragon Strike, Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 13th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Here are three new NES reviews for your reading enjoyment.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 13th, 2013, 5:55 pm

I loved the Lee Tevino review. I thought it was hilarious and it is a pretty funny title for a generic golf game. Glad to see these games have some redeeming qualities to them. The Cliffhanger game is a bit unique in the fact that being hit doesn't knock you back (very common in the NES period) causing a lot of irritating deaths. Great reviews.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 6:06 pm

When I hear the title "Fighting Golf," I expected something along the lines of Ninja Golf. Nope. Just regular ol' golf.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 14th, 2013, 8:08 am

The NES sank without a trace in the uk
That is why I love the NES reviews on this site.  Loads of games I have never heard of.  Also the critic loves writing about Cliffhanger which features the worst London accent ever! 

Keep up the good work.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 14th, 2013, 10:19 am

Nice reviews.  I'm with Splash.  I had never heard of Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf, so I thought I was about to learn about a game similar to Ninja Golf.  I've wanted to buy Ninja Golf for years but I've been deterred by the price, so the title for Fighting Golf made me think it might be a much cheaper alternative.  As it turns out, you're right, it's just the most misleading game title ever.  I guess kids couldn't be bothered with golf games back then, so you throw "Fighting" in the title and you might be able to rip-off just enough children and parents to turn a profit...

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » December 14th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Mr. Critic, I'm a bit disappointed with your review of Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf. Sure the title is stupid, but other reviewers have already made a big deal about that. I think the game is actually pretty good. It's no NES Open, but it is better than many of the other NES golf games available. I think you made too big a deal about the stupid name and didn't explain the mechanics of the game enough. For example how the golfers each have different speeds in their swings. It makes the characters feel more different from each other than merely being cosmetic. Also how's the putting? No mention of that or the graphics. How does the ball fly on the screen, a lot of roll or does it die once it hits the ground? How about game modes? I know you like golf games, much like I do, so I expected a bit more effort on this review. One last thing; this game requires either the instruction manual or a faq guide. I found and printed one easily enough. The reason is that each golfer hits different distances with each club. The game does not let you know what distance each golfer hits with each club.  

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » December 15th, 2013, 4:41 am

I'm guessing this "Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf" must have been the game The Simpsons parodied with "Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge" in the episode "Marge Be Not Proud".

The colours in DragonStrike (there's no space in the game's name, by the way) look a lot more vivid than most other NES games; it almost looks like a Master System title to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2013, 11:54 am

Tron,
I am looking at the Lee Trevino manual right now, and it does not list the distances for the individual golfers.  Perhaps you were looking at an FAQ that contained additional info.
VGC

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » December 15th, 2013, 11:19 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Tron,
I am looking at the Lee Trevino manual right now, and it does not list the distances for the individual golfers.  Perhaps you were looking at an FAQ that contained additional info.
VGC[/QUOTE]

I did indeed get the information from a FAQ online. I just falsely assumed that information would be in the instruction manual. I believe Power Golf on the Turbo Grafx 16 has the info in its manual and I must have assumed the info would be in the Lee Trevino manual as well. That's pretty awful that the info isn't in the manual. The game would be very difficult guessing the distance for each shot or very tedious for someone to have to figure it out. BTW my fave golfer was Chousuke. Who was yours?     

Return to “Review Feedback”