2013/12/19: Dreamcast: MDK2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 19th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Very difficult game to play... and review!  Let me know what you think.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » December 19th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I couldn't agree more with the "frustrating yet fun" review of MDK2. Yes, the characters and their stages are different and annoying in sections. Yes, the bosses seem to take forever to defeat. Yes, it isn't all there graphically, but the shooting and puzzle action keeps you coming back for more. There's just enough variety in each character's stage. The VMU checkpoint beep is VERY satisfying. The game has plenty of humor. Once you figure out how to combine items, the Dr. Hawkins stages aren't all that hard. I really don't like the spark-shooting orbs that have to be on nearly every single stage.

If you're referring to Stage 8 when you talk about the long vertical jetpack portion with Max, perhaps this video that shows you to get past nearly the entire section with a hidden elevator in the ground might make your opinion (and grade) slightly better. It helped me to get to the end, because Stage 9 isn't bad (probably the easiest Dr. Hawkins stage), and Stage 10 you get to choose either one of the 3 characters to complete the game.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » December 19th, 2013, 6:51 pm

One more thing, you can put the Dreamcast disc into your computer, look for the MDK2 folder, and there is a good amount of bonus material -- pictures, soundfiles from the development team, and more.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » December 19th, 2013, 6:55 pm

That's a pretty good review of the game. Good job getting across what you like and don't like about the game.  The dreamcast controller wasn't exactly the best for these kinds of shooters.

I have the PC version and it essentially fixes all the problems associated with the Dreamcast version.  The graphics look less muddy, the controls work much better with WASD + mouse, and there are multiple difficulty settings.  Its truly a great game game on the PC.  I know you don't do PC games, but anyone else who is interested, look for it on gog.com

However, there is also a PS2 version called MDK 2 Armegeddon.  I have never tried it.  Has anyone here tried it?  Does it fix the control issues by having dual joysticks and does it have the multiple difficulty settings like the PC version?  Is it better than the DreamCast version?

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 19th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Right on the money with the review.  I would be more tempted to give it a D as it is really a noble failure.  I looks great and some of the time plays like a classic.  Most of the time it is so annoying you want to rip it out of the DC and smash it to pieces.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » December 19th, 2013, 9:59 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]That's a pretty good review of the game. Good job getting across what you like and don't like about the game.  The dreamcast controller wasn't exactly the best for these kinds of shooters.

I have the PC version and it essentially fixes all the problems associated with the Dreamcast version.  The graphics look less muddy, the controls work much better with WASD + mouse, and there are multiple difficulty settings.  Its truly a great game game on the PC.  I know you don't do PC games, but anyone else who is interested, look for it on gog.com

However, there is also a PS2 version called MDK 2 Armegeddon.  I have never tried it.  Has anyone here tried it?  Does it fix the control issues by having dual joysticks and does it have the multiple difficulty settings like the PC version?  Is it better than the DreamCast version?

[/QUOTE]

Haven't played MDK2: Armageddon, but I do know that it does have the dual analog control and extra difficulty settings, so Critic may like that version more.  There's also a download only version on the Wii, of all places, for $10, but I'm not sure how that one fares with its Wii-Mote/Nunchuck controls.

I have to say, though, of all the games on Dreamcast that would have been better with dual analog, I can't really think of one that felt better to control, despite that lacking element, than MDK 2.  It's not perfect, but it felt tighter to me than other similar playing games, like Fur Fighters, Kiss Psycho Circus, Outtrigger and Quake 3 (when played without the mouse and keyboard, obviously). 

JIMX860001

Postby JIMX860001 » December 19th, 2013, 10:43 pm

I had a feeling that this game hasn't aged well...

Especially since it was recently remade for the Nintendo Wii (via Wiiware service) and had a really improved control scheme! If I ever get this game, I'm probably going for that version.

On a side note, there's a game for the Dreamcast called Zusor Vasar. It was only released in Japan, but you review a lot of imported games on this console, so I guess there's a possible chance you're going to get that one (and probably give it an F-).

As for MDK2, good review.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » December 21st, 2013, 7:45 am

The PS2 port was an early argument for the Dreamcast being more powerful than the PS2. Textures and shading take a huge hit, if memory serves. The Wiiware version also sacrifices visuals, but further compromises sound. Either the PS2 or Wii ports do add in the much needed difficulty select, so feel free to check them out. It's all dated graphics on any of the platforms anyways.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 22nd, 2013, 4:52 pm

This game looks pretty solid but it is sad to see so many problems with what could have been a sleeper hit on the DC. From the way you described the game I'm surprised it didn't get a D.

Return to “Review Feedback”