2014/5/15: Game Boy: Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2, The, Donkey Kong, Game & Watch Gallery

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
PSX1

2014/5/15: Game Boy: Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2, The, Donkey Kong, Game & Watch Gallery

Postby PSX1 » May 16th, 2014, 10:55 am

Nice.  I'm not much of a Game Boy fan, but I do agree that reviews for it would be really good for the site.  I say Tetris would be a good one to take on next.  Just simply because it was the pack-in title and is pretty important from a historical perspective for helping to make the Game Boy so popular.  If it helps motivate you, the Wikipedia article for it says: "In an interview with IGN, Alexey Pajitnov noted that the Game Boy version of Tetris as his favorite, describing it as very close to his original version."

Also, I remember loving the original Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (NES) when my family rented it when I was very, very young.  I think I liked it at that age because it was so easy for me to play.  Of course, for that same reason, it's not surprising that the lack of difficulty was one of your knocks on the game, which you reviewed and gave an F.  I actually bought Crazy Castle 2 for Game Boy at a game store just a few weeks ago, based on my memories of the original.  I haven't played the NES game since I was a kid, and haven't tried the Game Boy game yet, but I'm glad to hear it's likely better than the original.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 16th, 2014, 2:26 pm

I too bought Crazy Castle 2, it was decent fun, though I got stuck on something like level 20 and never quite got around to figuring out how to get past it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2014, 5:07 pm

This first set of reviews was hard to gauge because I never had the original Game Boy (my first was the Advance).  I usually like to begin with a good, medium, and bad game to set the scale.  Glad to see I was more or less on target with these.  I bought an Ebay "lot" of Game Boy carts a few months back so expect to see a lot of random titles in the next few weeks.  

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » May 16th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Very good reviews, and thanks for splitting the categories up into GB, GBC, and GBA. I've played through about half of the games in the Crazy Castle series, and so far BBCC2 for Game Boy is the best one I've tried. Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands was OK.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » May 16th, 2014, 7:57 pm

very suprised about Game & Watch Gallery Grade. It was one of my favorite game back then.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » May 16th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Thank you so much for finally covering the original Game Boy, and for splitting up the different Game Boy sections.  I agree with the DK score, though it's strange to say that it reminds you of Mario versus Donkey Kong since it's related.  Here's what Wikipedia says about Mario versus DK: "The game is the spiritual successor to Donkey Kong, which was released in 1994 for the Game Boy. "  

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 16th, 2014, 11:44 pm

[QUOTE=Glitchologteam]very suprised about Game & Watch Gallery Grade. It was one of my favorite game back then.[/QUOTE]

I remember liking the "Modern" iteration of "Fire" quite a bit.

Game and Watch gallery was great for car rides. My sister had received it as one of her first Game Boy games ... and I would steal it frequently.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » May 16th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Good to see the Game Boy reviews, especially the excellent Donkey Kong, though I don't agree with the F on Game And Watch Gallery and, honestly, putting that aside, it doesn't really sound like an F review based on what you said about it.  Usually, your F reviews have a level of rancor or unforgivable game flaws that emphasize a hatred of it that this one lacks.  

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » May 17th, 2014, 12:28 am

Yes! The day has finally come that the VGC decided to review original GB games and split the systems up! Here's some games I'll think you'll love:

Pokemon Red/Blue
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tetris

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » May 17th, 2014, 12:50 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]This first set of reviews was hard to gauge because I never had the original Game Boy (my first was the Advance).  I usually like to begin with a good, medium, and bad game to set the scale.  Glad to see I was more or less on target with these.  I bought an Ebay "lot" of Game Boy carts a few months back so expect to see a lot of random titles in the next few weeks.  [/QUOTE]

My first Gameboy was the Advance as well. Even when the Gameboy was brand new I thought it looked like crap. I knew someday a colored Gameboy would come out so I figured I'd just wait. By the time color came out I was too busy with at the time to pay attention. I suspect that the Critic is a "closet" Gameboy hater. I can admit easily that I thought the Gameboy was ugly as sin. I think since the Critic is the Critic that he feels obligated to do Gameboy reviews and is trying to keep an open mind, but may be struggling with it. I mean it's taken him a long time to review Gameboy games right? Also, like I already stages the games were ugly even back then. I can't imagine finding much enjoyment looking at them now. Anyway I'm glad the Gameboy games are seperated now.

Return to “Review Feedback”