2014/9/19: Playstation 3: Diablo III

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » October 7th, 2014, 8:34 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Unfortunately, this is no "engineering mistake" on Blizzard's part--save-editing is and has always been very common in online RPGs where the user's save data is stored locally (Diablo II, Phantasy Star Online, Dark Souls).[/QUOTE]

If they are having an issue with console players editing local save game files and then using in online multiplayer games, I'd say that is indeed a HUGE engineering mistake on their part.  The fix is simple, keep all info on their servers like they force PC players to do.  How could this have occurred to them for PC players but not for console players?

[QUOTE=ptdebate] The number of players who have no interest in playing online with others--the game's defining feature--is very, very insignificant. [/QUOTE]

I disagree with your 'insignificant' statement.  Do a search for 'offline Diablo III patch' and see how many thousands and thousands of hits and thread complaints about it you find, even on Blizzards own forums.  It may be a minority of customers as in less than 50%, but I'm quite certain it's probably in the 20-30% range.  Check out all the complaints on Amazon, Newegg, etc.  Lots of long-time fans of the series are unhappy with this.

[QUOTE=ptdebate]What those few players would have greeted as a saving grace, others would have seen as a needless complication. [i]Entirely separate[/i] characters, items, and gear for offline and online modes? I'm sure someone at Blizzard thought about this idea and then rapidly dismissed it on the grounds that it's inelegant and only caters to a very small part of their audience anyway. [/QUOTE]

Yes, it may only cater to a few 10's of thousands of people, but the implementation is so quick and easy why not give them that option?  It does nothing to hurt the people that want to play online, and satisfies the desires of many longtime Diablo fans.

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Whence all this dread for signing in to the Internet when you play certain games? Diablo is a series designed with this kind of play in mind. Is it the fear that, someday, the servers will shut down and you won't be able to play your game anymore? I say to you that that day will be pandemonium for players like you! Anyone will be able to mod and edit their no-longer-monitored software product to their heart's content. When the heyday of Blizzard has passed (like this is ever going to happen), you can finally have your PC game on your terms, played the way you originally wanted to--offline.[/QUOTE]

I don't need them to shut down their servers in the future; I spent my first week with the game barely able to play because Blizzard was unable to keep their servers up and functioning.  At that point I gave up in frustration.  I wanted to play the game solo, I'd already registered the serial code (so they know I paid), but I couldn't play because they can't stay on top of their own technology?  Why should I be forced to connect to their servers to play a game solo?  All would have been forgiven had they simply refunded my purchase price, no harm no foul.  I didn't realize it was essentially an MMO, and I'd like my money back.  They refused, so I'm done with them as a company.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 7th, 2014, 8:42 pm

@Sudz I understand where you're coming from about the server issues--I experienced the same thing when I got the game. I think we could continue debating this for an eternity, so I'm going to respectfully bow out.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » October 8th, 2014, 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]@Sudz I understand where you're coming from about the server issues--I experienced the same thing when I got the game. I think we could continue debating this for an eternity, so I'm going to respectfully bow out.[/QUOTE]

Good enough, thanks for discussing the issue!  I think you're probably right, this had no natural end :-)

Return to “Review Feedback”