2014/11/23: Wii U: Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 24th, 2014, 12:26 am

Josh- well it comes with the territory, there is plenty of stuff "in between", and it seems very silly and narrow-minded to write an entire generation of games merely because of it.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » November 24th, 2014, 9:07 am

[QUOTE=Josh]See, I would love to play something like this but the blood, gore, and vulgarity turn me way off. I mean, could they not make a game with this sort of intense gameplay without all that crap? It seems these days you only have a choice between Super Mario/Kirby and something like Bayonetta. There's nothing in between. I guess that's why I have almost totally fallen out of interest with the current gen. There's nothing for me.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Sunset Overdrive, not sure if that counts. But yeah, I get what you mean. More Mario/Kirby style whimsy and cartoon-like games I would really like to see, but the excessive amount of overly serious games is really ticking me off too.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 24th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Josh- I can name plenty "big boy", and writing it all off just reeks of laziness and shallowness if you ask me.

Try out "Never Alone" and see what I mean.

There aren't that many "overly serious" games.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 25th, 2014, 3:16 am

OK "Big boy":

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Alan Wake

Batman Arkham series

Dark Void

Lost Planet series

007 Blood Stone

Need For Speed series

Burnout series

Red Faction Guerilla

Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » November 25th, 2014, 8:46 am

...So in other words, no they don't exist. None of the games you listed really fall into that "in between" catigory Josh mentioned. They still have the same personality-less graphics, the same gameplay staring the same personality-less human and what-not. What, just less gore and vulgarity makes them different? If anything you're proving Josh's point.

Honestly, I really do share Josh's pain. I feel like videogames are all becoming the same. They all need to have personality-less generic human characters either using generic guns or knives and swords slashing about similar scenes colored almost completely in navy-scale/sepia-scale graphics with no real color. Diversity feels like it's dying in general. Whatever happened to the days when there were lots of fun and colorful platformers staring charming characters that didn't need to be the same species fighting all sorts of whimsical badguys that don't include the same giant monsters or evil dude with about as little personality as the main hero? Games in general felt like they had more color, more personality and were overall more fun back then. Now, everything just feels the same.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 25th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I fail to see how any of the games I listed are "disturbing crap" in the least, sounds like you're just being WAY too picky.

Splash- yes they do exist obviously and there is plenty of "diversity" in gaming, you're just not looking hard enough.  Games most definitely do not feel "the same" today in the least.  Platformers aren't as common anymore because of oversaturation during their heyday, so people got tired of them and were looking towards different experiences.

Return to “Review Feedback”