2015/1/13: Game Boy Color: Pac-Man: Special Color Edition, Pokemon Pinball, X-Men: Mutant Academy

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/1/13: Game Boy Color: Pac-Man: Special Color Edition, Pokemon Pinball, X-Men: Mutant Academy

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2015, 8:39 pm

I'm trying to fatten up my Game Boy sections a bit.  Let me know what you think about this latest set.

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » January 13th, 2015, 8:58 pm

If Pac-Man: Special Color Edition gets an A, then Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition should logically get an A+...though it does also include Super Pac-Man, which I seem to recall you didn't care for.

knoll3601

Postby knoll3601 » January 13th, 2015, 10:26 pm

For future reference original Game Boy games should be played on the Super Game Boy (it adds extra features to some games) while Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games should be played on the Game Boy Player for GameCube. If you play a Game Boy Color game on the Super Game Boy it will remove the color (that and some aren't even compatible).

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » January 13th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Just read the Pokemon Pinball review. Great review of a great game.

Speaking of Pokemon, you should totally try to get The RPG Critic to review one of the main series Pokemon games.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » January 14th, 2015, 9:12 am

I'm not sure about the Pokemon Pinball review. I really like Pokemon, and to a lesser extent pinball, but Pokemon Pinball always seemed a bit too luck based rather than timing based like a Pinball game should be. It feels like when I smack the ball with a flipper, no matter how I time it, it just goes wherever it wants. It might just be me, but I've always kind of felt a bit uneasy about the controls in that game.

As for Mutant Academy, if you want a good fighting game for the Gameboy/Gameboy color... yeah, good luck with that. They all pretty much suck.

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » January 14th, 2015, 9:51 am

In regards to fighting games, SNK VS Capcom: Match of the Milennium on Neo Geo Pocket Color got extremely positive reviews back in the day (1999) and is still considered very good for a handheld fighter. It's a bit pricier than the other NGPC fighters, though.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » January 15th, 2015, 9:54 pm

[QUOTE=Splash]I'm not sure about the Pokemon Pinball review. I really like Pokemon, and to a lesser extent pinball, but Pokemon Pinball always seemed a bit too luck based rather than timing based like a Pinball game should be. It feels like when I smack the ball with a flipper, no matter how I time it, it just goes wherever it wants. It might just be me, but I've always kind of felt a bit uneasy about the controls in that game.

As for Mutant Academy, if you want a good fighting game for the Gameboy/Gameboy color... yeah, good luck with that. They all pretty much suck.[/QUOTE]

I would exempt Battle Arena Toshinden for Game Boy, which was actually pretty good.  In fact, it's arguably better than the Playstation version was and that'd be a good and cheap one to pick up.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 16th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Good reviews. I used to love Pokemon Pinball when I first got my GBC. I played a lot of it and thought it was a ton of fun. I never caught them all though... It was probably my first pinball game that I played growing up. I think your review was pretty spot on though.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 17th, 2015, 12:09 am

If you want a good, retro fighting game, I would highly recommend Fatal Fury Special for the game gear! It's stunning what they managed to pack into that little cartridge!

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » January 17th, 2015, 8:08 am

Always great to see more Gameboy reviews. Thank you, Critic.

If you enjoyed Pokémon Pinball on the GBC (so did I), try the GBA edition. It's up there with any version of Devil's Crash as the most fun I've had playing pinball on the go.

For portable 8-bit fighting, the best on the GBC is Street Fighter Alpha. It's making the most of the technology, combining 8-bit pixel art (complete with dramatic pitch black shadows) with an arcade quality experience. The only real downside is playing any Street Fighter title with just two face buttons is a compromise many people aren't wiling to make.

Other good, but very old portable fighting games:

For the original Gameboy, Toshinden isn't at all bad, though I disagree that it's better than the original. (Unless you prefer 8-bit pixel art to early PSOne polygons.) May I recommend Samurai Shodown? The game has always been more about when you strike, more than how many buttons you have to strike with. And they found an elegant partial solution to the lack of face buttons - hit both at once for the most powerful ordinary strike, making it feel like an easy special. The cherry on top is the soundtrack, one of the best on the platform.

See also: King of Fighters 96 (import), World Heroes Jet, Killer Instinct.

Seconding the Fatal Fury Special on Game Gear - It loses a lot of unnecessary fat, and not just by eliminating all of the questionable out of shape characters to save on cart space - the signature extra planes of fighting gimmick is also gone, so there's no AI jumping back and forth to dodge the fight. It replaces both Krauser and his matador of a right hand man, and makes Geese from the first game the end boss, again, to save on cart space, but adds Ryo from Art of Fighting as an apology - this was once a pretty big deal for SNK fans on the go. The end result, feels like a director's cut remake of the first game and makes clear the ties the series has to King of Fighters. Despite the poor quality of the sprites, which suffer from the problems you normally expect from bad pre-rendered/digitized sprites, I must confess I play this version more than the NEO-GEO original, and it's not just due to the nostalgia - the AI plays fairer, and all of the sacrifices to the gameplay only improve the experience.

See also: Samurai Shodown (but not if you're prone to seizures from sprite flickering), Power Rangers.

Return to “Review Feedback”