From Bedrooms to Billions Documentary

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2015, 9:43 pm

I posted a new review of a new video game documentary now available on DVD or Blu Ray.
It's called From Bedrooms to Billions.

I also re-edited the following DVD reviews and put them on their own pages:

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/videos/classicgameroom.htm

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/videos/onceuponatari.htm

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/videos/starcade.htm

Enjoy!

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 12th, 2015, 6:43 am

Thanks for the FB2B review.  I was thinking of getting this.  This was my time in the UK. Playing loads of spectrum games until I went to the Atari 800xl.  I programmed my own text adventures as a young adult.  I never published any of them and I think I was the only person who ever play any of them. 

Eidos was US Gold.  It was a company that specialized in importing hits like Raid over Moscow, Beach Head and Summer Games to the C64.  As they became hits they transferred them to other pcs such as the ZX Spectrum (made by Timex in the US).

Ocean software survived right up until they were bought by those French hacks (who destroyed Atari) Infogrammes.  A lot of times they just made home versions of arcade games but in the early days they produced original work.  Then survived to produce SNES stuff like Jurassic Park (which the critic hated and I liked). Plus they made a version of Choplifter for the SNES which was also very good.

Rare were originally called Ultimate play the game.  They produced really good games for the sinclair spectrum.  They were the absolute pinnacle for that system and they went on to become Rare. It is a real shame they never produced a greatest hit compilation like Sega or Namco did. 

There were a whole host of computer companies that produced great games for the time but faded into the night.  Imagine.  They were the name of the game! Or that was their motto.  (The name was bought later by Ocean). They decided to produce an add on that would revolutionise the ZX spectrum.  This ultimately caused their demise.  Really it was like a ram pack from what I could work out or perhaps they were trying to produce a star path supercharger.  They produced games like Zoom which seemed to be a lot like Subroc.  I spent hours on that game. Also the Alchemist which was a rudimentary arcade adventure game.  Also Stonkers which was the best RTS I had played for years.  Well up until Halo Wars.

It is great to relive the past. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 3rd, 2015, 9:37 am

Good review.  So good I clicked the link to buy the DVD.  Holy crap $45.  That does include free shipping and it's from the UK.  

I'll add this one to my wish list!

Good stuff though.

Return to “Review Feedback”