2015/3/24: PSP: SNK Arcade Classics 0 (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Let me know what you think of this new PSP review.  It's a Japanese import.  PSP games are region-free.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 24th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Too bad that the original Vanguard was left off here along with several other pre Neo Geo SNK games that have since been made available as standalone downloads on the PSP, Vita, and PS3). Vanguard would've been the highlight of it for me.

Vanguard 2 reminds me more of something like the Time Pilot series (Especially Time Pilot '84, equally as forgotten as Vanguard 2) or Bosconian with its 360 degrees action. 

What hurts this the most for me are the controls. The LS30 rotary arcade stick used in games like the Ikari Warriors titles wasn't translated well to the PSP for this collection or the various PSP Minis downloads. The shoulder buttons being used to rotate where you're aiming are just too slow, cumbersome, and not intuitive enough for my liking when the action heats up. Would've preferred to have seen the four action buttons used instead for independent aiming, like Robotron 2084 does with the ABXY buttons for example on the Williams compilation for the Super Nintendo where it's almost as effective as today's right analog sticks are for such games. 

And the messed up aspect ratios are annoying as well. They mapped pixels 1:1 here, but the pixel proportions of the PSP screen don't match the original arcade monitors. That's why the vertical arcade games are so narrow on here, instead of true 3:4 which would've provided a wider picture that filled more of the PSP's widescreen.

It's similar to why tv/out for games on the PSP results in an incorrect aspect ratio.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 24th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Yea, leave it to Sony to mess up a collection like this. I was really looking forward to this review, as I'm such a huge Neo Geo fan.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 25th, 2015, 12:45 am

They might as well had dubbed this comp "Before the Neo Geo", because that's essentially what it is. I have to disagree
with a few assessments here, as far as Athena, Psycho Soldier and Prehistoric Isle (which did spawn a Neo Geo sequel).
The latter is one of my favorite shmups! If you own a PSP with TV output, you owe it to yourself, try it out on the big screen!

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 25th, 2015, 1:05 am

[QUOTE=Jon]Yea, leave it to Sony to mess up a collection like this. I was really looking forward to this review, as I'm such a huge Neo Geo fan.[/QUOTE]

Sony didn't have anything to do with this title. It was developed and published by SNK.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 25th, 2015, 2:02 am

Actually, it was developed by G1M2, a contract studio for publisher SNK.

G1M2 is known for Data East Arcade Classics on the Wii and the better received SNK Neo Geo compilations from a few generations ago (Terminal Reality did some others, often to poor effect).

They're also the developer responsible for all the pre Neo Geo SNK PSP Minis available to download off North America's PSN service, which essentially split up and recycled this collection for a Western release. This lineup with the exception of a single sports title all saw such a release, along with another half dozen or so games from SNK's early library that didn't originally make the cut such as the original Vanguard and Ozma Wars (This B&W arcade game was SNK's first ever).

Some decent games here, although the first Vanguard is the only one I'd consider a must have for the classic arcade enthusiast. Well worth the $3 it costs on PSN to download it.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 25th, 2015, 7:28 am

[QUOTE=Jon]Yea, leave it to Sony to mess up a collection like this. I was really looking forward to this review, as I'm such a huge Neo Geo fan.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh! Looks like someone doesn't understand third party publishing.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 25th, 2015, 11:41 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]They might as well had dubbed this comp "Before the Neo Geo", because that's essentially what it is. I have to disagree with a few assessments here, as far as Athena, Psycho Soldier and Prehistoric Isle (which did spawn a Neo Geo sequel). The latter is one of my favorite shmups! If you own a PSP with TV output, you owe it to yourself, try it out on the big screen![/QUOTE]
Great that someone shouts out for Prehistoric Isle.  It is a superb game.  I used to play it in the arcades.

Thanks for the review I might have been tempted to buy this.  Though not at the price it is being offered.

Also I agree it would be great to get the original Vanguard. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 25th, 2015, 6:16 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher][QUOTE=Oltobaz]They might as well had dubbed this comp "Before the Neo Geo", because that's essentially what it is. I have to disagree with a few assessments here, as far as Athena, Psycho Soldier and Prehistoric Isle (which did spawn a Neo Geo sequel). The latter is one of my favorite shmups! If you own a PSP with TV output, you owe it to yourself, try it out on the big screen![/QUOTE]
Great that someone shouts out for Prehistoric Isle.  It is a superb game.  I used to play it in the arcades.

Thanks for the review I might have been tempted to buy this.  Though not at the price it is being offered.

Also I agree it would be great to get the original Vanguard. [/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I discovered this game in the arcades 2 or 3 years after having been introduced the NES. I couldn't believe how much more advanced it all looked. It also came out on top when compared to other games available in my local arcade at the time. It's a shame this game was never ported to retro consoles, too much for our 16 bits to handle methinks, and a little dated by the time the PS1 and Saturn came along, it did came out in 1989 after all! Still, a Saturn port would have been super sweet, can't think of
a better looking shmup, and I'd say it looks way better than the Neo Geo sequel, despite the more advanced technology.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » March 25th, 2015, 6:17 pm

I've been eying this game for awhile. I totally NEED to get it. Disappointed that it doesn't deliver like SNK Volume 1 did. Next time I put money in ebay I'm getting it!

I think POW is what I'm most geeked for. I loved the NES game and only got to play the arcade game a couple of times.

Return to “Review Feedback”