7/24/2006: Sega CD: Batman and Robin, Burning Fists, Lethal Enforcers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Post your feedback here!

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » July 25th, 2006, 8:31 am

Wow, the Sega CD gets some love from Dave.  The heat must be really be getting to him if he's choosing to play this system/games over the newer, cooler systems... but I digress!

I completely disagree that 'Batman and Robin' is 'D' material.  Far from it, once you accept this as a racing/action game and play the game like one this offers some of the best sounds/graphics a licensed game ever offered on the Sega CD (a small list that also includes Virgin's outstanding Sega CD version of 'The Terminator').  Control is a little iffy but if it were perfect then the game would be too easy and unchallenging.  I would have rated this a 'B' or 'B+' but hey, it's not my website and I'm not 'THE critic.'  As for 'Lethal Enforcers,' I never liked it on the arcade and I certainly haven't enjoyed it the few times I've played it on my PlayStation compilation (which also includes the Western-themed 'Lethal Enforcers II').  This old-school shooting gallery-type games are only good to remind us of what a Godsend it was that Sega brought polygons, selectable paths and body-part specific damage to the genre with 'Virtua Cop' (with Namco not too far behind with their 'Point Blank' and 'Time Crisis' series).  Without them there wouldn't have been a 'House of the Dead' series, or a 'Confidential Mission' (joke!).

I wonder if the industry's move to HDTV (which doesn't support old light gun technology) will mean the death of the light gun genre.  Any news/word on any 'Virtua Cop'-type games in the works for PS3 or XBox 360 that employ a new type of gun that works with plasma screens and LCD's?  Also Dave, what monitor did you use to play 'Lethal Enforcers' with the gun?  You brag about your Pioneer plasma screen but I'm sure yours doesn't accept light guns.  Do you have a tube TV sitting somewhere to play this old-school games?  just curious!

hi there

Postby hi there » July 25th, 2006, 10:22 am

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]I wonder if the industry's move to HDTV (which doesn't support old light gun technology) will mean the death of the light gun genre.[/QUOTE]

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/749/749075.html

Nope.

Caféman

Postby Caféman » July 25th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Quite a coincidence about Batman & Robin CD. I just spotted it at The Exchange and picked it up ($8.00). I remember renting it way back in the day, and not liking it much. But I'm anxious to try it out again.

So, I enjoyed your review and wasn't surprised by the "D" rating. I bet I enjoy it more than "D". I like finding old lost games and trying them out, even if they are pretty dated.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2006, 7:19 pm

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

I wonder if the industry's move to HDTV (which doesn't support old light gun technology) will mean the death of the light gun genre.  Any news/word on any 'Virtua Cop'-type games in the works for PS3 or XBox 360 that employ a new type of gun that works with plasma screens and LCD's?  Also Dave, what monitor did you use to play 'Lethal Enforcers' with the gun?  You brag about your Pioneer plasma screen but I'm sure yours doesn't accept light guns.  Do you have a tube TV sitting somewhere to play this old-school games?  just curious!

[/QUOTE]

I play my light gun games on a "normal" TV, not the plasma.  However I hear they will be releasing light guns that work on digital TV - I think one is already available here
Also, I think the Wii controller can function like a light gun.

a1

Postby a1 » July 26th, 2006, 10:04 pm

The Wiii controller has a sensor that is put above or below the tv, so I can't see the type of tv being a problem.

Return to “Review Feedback”