7/26/2006: Xbox 360: Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Have at it guys.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » July 26th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Nice reviews...I only played a demo of Perfect Dark and although I thought it was a good game I wasn't all that impressed even if every other review site gave it high marks. I am glad I held out!

I am not into fighting games but bought DOA4 and to be honest I was rather bored with it. Maybe it's just me....

Looking forward to your COD 2 review and one other thing, do yourself a favor and pick up GRAW! The game is amazing and it is nothing like Full Spectrum Warrior!

Superjay

Postby Superjay » July 26th, 2006, 7:10 pm

I agree with both of your reviews. Perfect Dark is the one game I have for the 360 that I wish I didn't buy. The reason why I didn't by DOA4 was because it didn't look like much of an improvement. I was almost compelled to buy it because you can play as a Spartan but I'll wait till it's $30 or less.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » July 26th, 2006, 7:13 pm

It's sad that Rare's Joanna Dark continues to be the only videogame heroine you need to upgrade your gaming gear to be able to play around with (the 4MB pak for the N64 and the XBox 360 itself) but her games continue to disappoint.  Since you haven't taken Joanna's new 360 game into online multiplayer then your review is somewhat incomplete and the rating slightly unfair Dave.  'Perfect Dark' games were meant to be multiplayer affairs, and the solo game of 'Zero' is lame compared to the N64 prequel.  'DOA 4' just bores me to tears and, after renting it, has made me appreciate my 'DOA 3' and 'DOA 2 Ultimate' XBox games more than before.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » July 26th, 2006, 8:35 pm

You should know, Critic, that the Spartan is not Master Chief. It's actually Nicole, Spartan-458. If you don't know that, then you can just put a little note in the review.  But yeah, good reviews. I only like PDZ's online and multiplayer. The single-player's completely easy, due to god-awful AI.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Hasn't Ryu been around in DoA from the beginning (or close to, at least)?

a1

Postby a1 » July 26th, 2006, 10:05 pm

[QUOTE=Linkdude]You should know, Critic, that the Spartan is not Master Chief. It's actually Nicole, Spartan-458. If you don't know that, then you can just put a little note in the review. 
[/QUOTE]

How the hell do you learn something like that? And how do you expect anyone else to know?

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » July 26th, 2006, 10:52 pm

[QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Linkdude]You should know, Critic, that the Spartan is not Master Chief. It's actually Nicole, Spartan-458. If you don't know that, then you can just put a little note in the review. 
[/QUOTE]

How the hell do you learn something like that? And how do you expect anyone else to know?

[/QUOTE]I do research. I've done it for quite a long time. Well, they may check websites for information on returning characters (like I do when I review games). Hey Critic, did you actually unlock that Spartan character? You for sure can know that it's a girl Spartan when you do versus matches with her (when hearing her voice).

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 27th, 2006, 3:36 am

That whole Spartan thing is pretty well known.

Anyway I don't understand the anti-PD0 feelings a lot of people have. 

1.  Just to be anal you said "most the guns have zoom functions", but they don't -  most don't have scopes.

2.  Only a couple of the missions emphasize stealth the vast majority don't.  Also when playing the missions on the harder difficulty settings (which has to be done) you shouldn't be able to break cover too much.

3.  This was the kicker for me though - "the missions themselves are a mess, and if not for white arrows directing me every which way, I'd never know where the heck I was supposed to go."  This line kind of makes me think you did not put much time into the game.  If it isn't presumptious to ask what difficulty settings have you completed the game on?  The whole point of the game is that the levels are a bit on the large size the first time round which is why you use the waypoints.  But most levels have a ton of different routes and options available to the player.  After a few plays the levels should be memorised and the waypoints turned off (which also wasn't mentioned in the review - but none of the reviews I have read anywhere made mention of it).  I still find myself finding little nooks and crannies everywhere.  The levels are also incredibly realisticly fleshed out, little armories in the China mission, power boxes all sorts of little bits and bobs.  The levels play very differently depending on gadget loadout and difficulty setting.

4.  "These can also be played cooperatively with a friend, but that's even more confusing."  It just looks more and more like you have hardly played this game.  I have only completed it on Agent and Secret Agent and I know all the levels backwards.  How is it confusing?  It is also easier in co-op, particularly in levels where the other player can take over Jack Dark's role or other NPCs.  You made no mention of the fact that they tweaked the levels to make them more fun for two players and add in some diversity.  You also made no mention of the fact that unlike previous co-op split screen FPS titles the two players are not restricted to the same small area (see Halo) btu can roam the WHOLE level!  And the Rooftops co-op is revolutionary.

5.  "The graphics and audio are fair"  This is rubbish.  There is nothing on the current gen that even comes close to this game in terms of graphics.  Have you not seen the huge draw distance while maintaining beautiful lighting effects and filtering the whole damn scene using the RCP-90 or x-ray filters?  While at the same time doing it in split screen and bump mapping everything for miles to see?  I mean come on this is just wrong.  It blows this current gen away and for a launch title looks great.  Sure it does not have the same pisazz as something like GRAW but it looks amazing.  There are a ton of very nice effects thrown in , ranging from the Night Club to the China missions.  I mean look at Bridge Assault near the end - a HUGE draw distance, a MASSIVE section of rendered water, a very detailed skybox and the game renders around 20 guys on screen without taking a hit - how can you say these graphics are "fair?!?"  Maybe I am being out of line but it seems like you are letting your feelings for the gameplay override things that are factual.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » July 27th, 2006, 6:05 am

If I had to put money on it I would bet he didn't. You have to beat the game with 2 different characters. That's not easy.

Return to “Review Feedback”