2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Splash

Re: 2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Postby Splash » August 14th, 2015, 8:54 am

About Majora's Mask, I can sort of see why the Video Game Critic rated this game the way he did. The Video Game Critic hates fun period, and refuses to give good games the scores they deserve while giving AWFUL games A+. ...But seriously, no. Some of the things in this game are quite annoying. Sometimes you have to wait till another day in order to access an area in the game. Sometimes you even have to go through an elaborate set of events to access that area early. Not to mention having to do stuff you already did over just to access certain areas. I do like the ability to re-fight bosses, though this was done much better in other games. Still, I loved being able to transform into different creatures, I liked all the puzzles and the interactivity of the game. Actually, I kind of enjoyed this game more than Ocarina of Time. I dunno, I mean I liked Ocarina of Time, but something about it seemed... You know what, no, they're both good, what am I saying?

Edit: Let it go. Last warning.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 14th, 2015, 12:59 pm

I know that Velcrozombie had no ill intentions with his post. If someone (for whatever reason) has a problem with it, drop it. He already apologized which makes him the bigger man considering he gave it for something that no one else found offensive.

If you seriously have a problem with his post, get over it. Moving on.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 14th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Meanwhile, back on the topic of Dave's review. This is the 18th Zelda game he has reviewed, about half of which got A grades in some competitive libraries. That shows Dave knows the franchise, its history, its gameplay, its style and appreciates those things to give high scores to many installments. This was was an ET award raspberry of a dissappointment to him. He explained why he was disappointed as well. Thats not to say others may not like it, or even esteem it as the best in the franchise. What seems clear though is MM took a different path from the other installments Dave has reviewed, and the results disappointed him.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 14th, 2015, 3:26 pm

I'll never know myself, because it's hard enough these days for me to really get into a zelda type game anymore. My gaming time is rare and precious with five kids running around. I don't have the time or the desire to do much running around in a sandbox. I need a game that will keep on track the whole time. I tried playing this briefly, I think it was a special Gamecube disk or something, and my heavily ADD brain could not stop losing interest.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 14th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Agreed. I have the GameCube version of OoT, and, as great of a game as I think it is, it's
Going to take me 5 years to beat.

I need linear-styled games that can be played in 20-30 increments to stay engaged.

Which is a shame, because o really want to play and beat all of the zeldas.....maybe in a few years when the kids are older.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 14th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Voor wrote:Which is a shame, because o really want to play and beat all of the zeldas.....maybe in a few years when the kids are older.

I hear you. I have the same ambition, and the same limiting factors. I keep telling myself, "Maybe in a few years." Well, we'll see, but I'll keep hoping.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 15th, 2015, 4:08 am

Voor wrote:Agreed. I have the GameCube version of OoT, and, as great of a game as I think it is, it's

Did your GameCube OoT come with Majora's Mask? I'm positive my GC Majora's Mask came as a bonus pack-in with another GC game, but I couldn't remember if it was OoT or Wind Walker or what. Just curious...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 15th, 2015, 7:10 am

This review features you not even figuring out the banking system, and how long did you struggle with the clock before you found the song?

It sounds like you resented the time limit so much that you couldn't be bothered to figure out how to schedule your exploration.

And no, this game isn't nearly as hated as you're trying to claim. Your review, overall, reads like a random Gamefaqs rant.

It's a poor showing - the same critic who showed up for Slime World on Lynx.

NX17

Postby NX17 » August 15th, 2015, 1:16 pm

VGC, I appreciate your candor on the review, but disagree completely. I think our tastes in games are very similar. For the most part your reviews kind of go with my thinking. No strings attached, just pick up and play the game without being hamstrung by mechanics that interfere with the gameplay or make your jump through hoops: be it loading time or useless in your face tutorials just to play the game.

So from that standpoint I can see where you're coming from. Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda's, but yes, if you boil down what you actually DO in the game, you're waiting many times to be in a certain spot at a certain time the game dictates you be at. I haven't played the 3DS version, but if you're sitting there with a checklist saying 'ok to get this mask I need to be in the village at this spot when this person walks by' - I can imagine it was an annoyance.

With me, when I originally played it some 15 odd years ago, I basically would say 'ok this person has something going on, let me investigate what they need at different days to solve their problems, and in the meantime I can build my rupees up, help someone else, take out a dungeon, etc.' I found it rewarding,especially in the couple's case who liked each other and finally got to express themselves to each other an hour within the moon crashing into Earth. I thought that was so cool, one of my favorite Zelda moments.

It seems like you have some deep arcade style gameplay roots, which I can appreciate, but I just differ on occassions. One classic example I've noticed before is in Fire Pro Wrestling on PS2:

http://videogamecritic.com/ps2ff.htm?e=08379#rev2570

You basically had no idea how to play the game correctly, and it wasn't that complicated. I could explain how to play it in about 10 minutes. It's one of the deeper fighting games, much less wrestling games, I've ever enjoyed. Then again, this was back when I was a wrestling fan. My grand point is, sometimes the strings you put up with go hand in hand with enjoyment. For the most part, I have a similar taste as you. I'm not going to put dozens of hours in to enjoy an RPG or play SimCity or EVE Online myself, but I have a little tolerance to put at least a 2 or 3 on the effort scale on the learning curve into something if its a series or subject matter I enjoy. I don't review dozens of games for years though, so my experience is different. As always YMMV, and everyone's entitled to their opinion. Keep up the good work!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » August 15th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:
Voor wrote:Agreed. I have the GameCube version of OoT, and, as great of a game as I think it is, it's

Did your GameCube OoT come with Majora's Mask? I'm positive my GC Majora's Mask came as a bonus pack-in with another GC game, but I couldn't remember if it was OoT or Wind Walker or what. Just curious...

The GameCube disc that contains Majora's Mask along with Ocarina of Time is a compilation titled "Zelda Collector's Edition" that also includes the original Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, a 20 minute playable demo of Wind Waker, and a quick retrospective of the Zelda games that were then available. It was a special promo during 2003 when GameCube sales were sluggish, I got it as a bonus when I bought my GameCube in 2003 when they were selling new for $99. You could also get it by getting a subscription with Nintendo Power or registering your GameCube with two qualifying games at the time.

The OoT disc that contains the Master Quest was a separate bonus that was given out with preorders of the Wind Waker.

Return to “Review Feedback”