2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I never got a chance to review Majora's Mask on the N64, but judging by my review of the 3DS version, I probably wouldn't be too crazy about. What is your opinion of the game and this review??

Splash

Re: 2015/8/11: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Postby Splash » August 11th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I don't know if it matters, but there is a female in one of the sectors who will save your rupees so you don't lose them. I... actually kind of liked Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time. I'm not sure why.

Also, I know it's off topic and I might have already said this, but I read your line in the Kid Icarus review saying it's "hard to dislike." Personally I found it very easy to dislike.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 11th, 2015, 6:34 pm

I get that MM is a little confusing, but think of where the series has been: Zelda, Zelda II--games that are impenetrable without a guide. And those reviewed really well on the NES, a system already crowded with great games.

Majora's Mask has its quirks, but this review came off a little over harsh.
Last edited by ptdebate on August 12th, 2015, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 11th, 2015, 6:59 pm

...I'm going to go make some popcorn.

David

Postby David » August 12th, 2015, 1:05 am

Well, didn't expect that score! A couple things I things I think worth mentioning. Your opening line implies that there's this groundswell of opposition or dislike to this game, which is probably the opposite in reality. Just anecdotally from various opinion pieces, random internet comments, and also the fact that Nintendo felt the demand for this game to be remade in the first place, Majora's Mask has actually grown in popularity over time. People seem to appreciate its differences from the rest of the series, and its dark undertones. The second major gripe I have is your review doesn't mention that Termina is really a living town, which is significant. People have their own schedules, with things happening in their lives specific to them depending on the day and time. It's quite a departure for the series and makes the game stand out as a dark horse, even moreso being it was preceeded by the venerated Ocarina of Time.

On a different topic kinda, but relatable here. You grade things on a curve for each system, so regardless of the type of game, expectations, etc., an A should be better than a B, B than than a C and so forth. There's just something wrong about having Majora's Mask lower on the totem pole than Angry Birds and Pilotwings Resort. I know your reviews are yours only and all, but man...and I actually enjoyed Pilotwings and played the hell out of it when I got it at the 3DS launch!

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » August 12th, 2015, 4:42 am

velcrozombie wrote:...I'm going to go make some popcorn.

What did you mean by this message?

D-Pad

Postby D-Pad » August 12th, 2015, 7:25 am

Mario500 wrote:

A sizable chunk of the Zelda fanbase considers Majora's Mask to be one of the best games in the series, perhaps even better than Ocarina of Time, hence this review may be contentious.

My personal experience with this game is limited, I played it on a rented N64 at a time when 3D console games were new for me, and thus I didn't get used to the gameplay in time. Id did intrigue me though, so I hope to play it again some time.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 12th, 2015, 7:31 am

Mario500 wrote:What did you mean by this message?

It means he/she's waiting for the drama to unfurl, and he'll watch it like a movie while eating popcorn.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 12th, 2015, 1:19 pm

The grade works for me.

It's not as fun as past games. For me it started the trend of buying a Zelda game and giving up at some point through it. Previous games never did that to me. This one...it's a different cup of tea. And one that at the time I couldn't understand. Today, maybe, it would be a different story. But certainly not when it came out. I don't think I have the patience to learn everyone's routine. Yuck

Splash

Postby Splash » August 12th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Mario500 wrote:

He's being a jerk for no good reason, pretty much.

Personally, I actually quite liked a lot of the puzzle aspects of this game. I really liked being able to transform into different creatures too. All in all, I actually quite liked the mask system.

Return to “Review Feedback”