Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2015, 12:14 pm

ptdebate wrote:
With that being said, here are my top 5 lists:

Wii U:
1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Super Mario Maker
3. Bayonetta 2
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

PS4:
1. Bloodborne
2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (also on PS3, but this is the definitive console edition)
3. Until Dawn
4. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
5. MLB 15: The Show

Honorable mention to PT, which isn't technically a game but one of my favorite game-like experiences of all time.

Xbox One:
1. Killer Instinct. COMBO BREAKERRRRRRRRRR!!!
2. Ori and the Blind Forest
3. Forza 5
4. Titanfall
5. Halo: MCC (despite the online issues, phenomenal, endlessly replayable collection of single-player campaigns in a sleek package)


I agree with most of the list, but some games like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, MLB 15: The Show, Killer Instinct, Titanfall are all not exclusives and do not count as it should only be single system games in the top 5, also Halo: MCC is just remasters of Halo 1-4 with broken online multiplayer/bugs and or glitches if applied, and Super Mario Maker is not a 100% legit game but a level editor title, so it should be replaced with either Pikmin 3 or Splatoon as those games are 100% legit games compared to Super Mario Maker.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby ptdebate » September 20th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Sonicx9,

Super Mario Maker is a game. It has a scenario, rules, and objectives. It's a game about making games.

The PC is not under consideration, so Killer Instinct and Titanfall are exclusives. If the PC is under consideration, it wins by a country mile, but we're restricting ourselves to consoles for a reason.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 2461
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby scotland » September 20th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Just tossing some ideas out.

1) Consider multiplats. This would serve to isolate the WiiU from the others, and the 8th generation seems to be embracing multiplats due to the cost of AAA development. Upcoming games like Witcher 3 and Star Wars Battlefront being only on the PS4 and XboxOne is important. Star Wars is huge, and that Battlefront is not on Nintendo hurts. Not sure if there is a name for the opposite of a system seller. Multiplats also gives a basis of comparison, as the PS4 seems to have a performance edge (you can argue that point if you want, but if a multiplat is important to a reader, then how it runs on each console may be important too)

2) Consider whom you game with. If all your gaming friends are on Xbox Live, that will influence your decision.

3) Consider price. I know Dave dismissed it earlier, reasoning that prices change. Fair enough, but this generation has seen these consoles be pretty stable in price. Also the review is dated up top, and dated in content with a list of games. Plus an intelligent reader can factor a holiday deal. I think price is important. If you are conflicted, and then you find one choice has a deal, that might tip the scales.

4) Consider the Wii U lifespan. If you are choosing a console for holiday 2015, that the WiiU is a year older, that sales have been disappointing, and that there is public discussion of a successor console should give you pause. The list of future great Wii U games might be a short list now, while the Sony and MS consoles may have years of exciting surprises.

5) Consider 'None of the Above' - Here is a clip from a similar article from a Motley Fool writer from the other day that talks about Apple working to raise the bar of mobile on your HDTV gaming, and VR systems, people using apps and streaming on their expensive consoles more than gaming on them, etc.
In short, non-console options are starting to grow more viable, making a multiyear investment in a new PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U a cloudier decision. Right now, nothing compares to an Xbox One or PS4 gaming experience. The same may not be true in just a couple of years.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2015, 8:36 pm

ptdebate wrote:Sonicx9,

Super Mario Maker is a game. It has a scenario, rules, and objectives. It's a game about making games.

The PC is not under consideration, so Killer Instinct and Titanfall are exclusives. If the PC is under consideration, it wins by a country mile, but we're restricting ourselves to consoles for a reason.


If you want the most accurate representation of single system console exclusives of the 3 8th Gen Consoles here is Andrew Eisen:(the mastermind behind the For Everything But Wii U list: http://www.ign.com/blogs/andreweisen/20 ... -but-wii-u) video/blog on the must have single system exclusives of the 3 8th Gen Consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkuL1UVHYJA and http://www.ign.com/blogs/andreweisen/2015/07 (note:Some of the information is outdated so cut Andrew Eisen some slack.)

Also Titanfal is on both the Xbox 360 and PC along with Xbox One, and because of the game being on Xbox 360 it is not a true next-gen in mind exclusive like in the case of games such as Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Bloodborne, etc.

NX17

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby NX17 » September 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Sonicx9,

Super Mario Maker is a game. It has a scenario, rules, and objectives. It's a game about making games.

The PC is not under consideration, so Killer Instinct and Titanfall are exclusives. If the PC is under consideration, it wins by a country mile, but we're restricting ourselves to consoles for a reason.


If you want the most accurate representation of single system console exclusives of the 3 8th Gen Consoles here is Andrew Eisen:(the mastermind behind the For Everything But Wii U list: http://www.ign.com/blogs/andreweisen/20 ... -but-wii-u) video/blog on the must have single system exclusives of the 3 8th Gen Consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkuL1UVHYJA and http://www.ign.com/blogs/andreweisen/2015/07 (note:Some of the information is outdated so cut Andrew Eisen some slack.)

Also Titanfal is on both the Xbox 360 and PC along with Xbox One, and because of the game being on Xbox 360 it is not a true next-gen in mind exclusive like in the case of games such as Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Bloodborne, etc.


It really doesn't matter about exclusives when it comes to Wii U vs. PS4/XBox One. Sure, Wii U has more games *only* on it's system, but the fact is Wii U gets basically ZERO third party games that come to PS4/XBox One, for all intents and purposes it's the same result as an "exclusive." Games like Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, etc aren't on Wii U regardless.

User avatar
Rookie1
Posts: 705
Joined: August 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby Rookie1 » September 23rd, 2015, 7:50 am

NX17 wrote: for all intents and purposes it's the same result as an "exclusive." Games like Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, etc aren't on Wii U regardless.


I never understood that. Seemed like the GC catered very much to the adult gamer. If I remember correctly, BMX XXX for the GC was the only version to show nudity. Every other system censored it. Yet they still failed to support some of the best selling adult oriented games of the time.

Im not really sure what Nintendo's strategy is with that. I dont think I could really justify paying $300 for a WiiU for it to be used as a kids toy. Maybe the $100 for a used 3DS, but not $300+.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14101
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 23rd, 2015, 11:47 am

I took you guy's advice and added some lists of games available for each system at the bottom of the article. I think the lists are fairly representative.

juhis815
Posts: 19
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby juhis815 » September 23rd, 2015, 12:32 pm

I mostly agree with the Wii U games that you listed there, but I seriously doubt about Sonic Boom game on that list, especially that game is not held on high esteem, but each it's own, I guess.

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1487
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby Rev » September 23rd, 2015, 1:11 pm

I like the idea of the lists however I have to agree that Sonic Boom should probably be replaced with something else... The game has had really poor reviews (everywhere other than this site) and most of the public holds it in a negative light... Even if you like the game it probably isn't the best representation for the list.

Good games to substitute:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors
NES Remix Pack 1 and 2
New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3 (probably my top pick)
Wii Sports Club

and.. Mario Maker is actually called Super Mario Maker.

User avatar
MoarRipter
Posts: 192
Joined: July 12th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Re: Article: Which Console Should I Buy?

Postby MoarRipter » September 23rd, 2015, 2:09 pm

One quick correction, Donkey Kong Country is called Tropical Freeze not Deep Freeze.

I suggest replacing Ducktales Remastered with Rayman Legends in the list for the Wii U, or at least add it in addition to. While not an exclusive and graphically no better than the versions available for the competition it does include the Murfy levels that utilize the special functions of the Wii U Gamepad such as rotation and the touchscreen for guiding Murfy automatically through the levels by helping him out with obstacles in his path. Ducktales Remastered, while a great game, is also available on the 360/PS3/PC and is the exact same game across platforms, it's nothing special on the Wii U.

I suggest adding Lego City Undercover to that list as well, sadly it is difficult to find on disc now, but at least readily available from the eShop.


Return to “Review Feedback”