2017/4/7: Odyssey 2: Smithereens, Mission Impossible

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/4/7: Odyssey 2: Smithereens, Mission Impossible

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Here are two new Odyssey 2 reviews. One is an old classic that deserved an update, and the other is a new homebrew.

scotland

Re: 2017/4/7: Odyssey 2: Smithereens, Mission Impossible

Postby scotland » April 7th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Sweet reviews. Odyssey 2 reviews. Now we're processing with 8048 power.
Its why I love this place.

Thanks for saving me some coin on Mission Impossible. I celebrate homebrews, especially on the O2 to enhance a library in need of a Wonder Bra, but my spending on 'crappy 80s systems' has been notable recently.

I am not as big fan of Smithereens. It was a A before, was it not? The game mechanic is okay, but it could have been done with a single button. May as well be an RCA Studio II game - no joystick or paddle really required. I tend to get bored with it pretty easy. Once have the timing you can whollop the other guy while he is sliding out with his ACME personal catapult. Smack!

I just think with a few tweaks it could have been better. A bit of randomness, wind, aiming as well as power, a bird flyjng around, etc.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 7th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Nice re-review of Smithereens. While I can imagine that additional features could be fun, it's still the standout Odyssey² game for me, especially with The Voice.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 7th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Pretty sure that the Bowie song is "Space Oddity", although given the console involved, the mistake is understandable.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Ha! Can't believe I screwed up the song title like that!

Please note that the Smithereens I had originally on my multicart was not as complete as the version on the actual cartridge.
What was missing were the three rounds (with scoring), the victory animation, and some voice effects.
I'm not sure what drove me to get the actual cart, but glad I did.

But yes, the original review was also an A.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 8th, 2017, 1:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Please note that the Smithereens I had originally on my multicart was not as complete as the version on the actual cartridge.
What was missing were the three rounds (with scoring), the victory animation, and some voice effects.
I'm not sure what drove me to get the actual cart, but glad I did.

Whoa, that's very interesting information! Would you consider adding the specifics to the review?

I have an original Smithereens cart and the 233-in-1 multicart, but I think we've only played the original. I can't say I remember anything about the 3-round system -- my memory is that it was a 10-round game...?

BTW another game where there are differences between versions is Loony Balloon, which I still hope you'll review one of these days since it's a trip. You'll probably hate it, and it can be frustrating to say the least, but I liked it a lot. As I recall it had different maze layouts in the Euro vs. Brazilian releases, both of which were on the 233-in-1 cart.

Return to “Review Feedback”