11/21/2006: PSP: Family Guy, Lumines, Twisted Metal Head-On

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2006, 6:09 pm

Now it's your turn to comment on the latest batch of PSP reviews.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » November 21st, 2006, 6:48 pm

Nice reviews although I really enjoyed Lumines and would have given it a B. I do believe you are right, the game is overhyped. I played Twisted Metal and really enjoyed the game although there wasn't much to it. I would have bumped it up a grade b/c the multiplayer is kick ass. Anyway, nice reads despite the fact that I don't necessarily agree with you.

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » November 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm

I rarely disagree, but if you're gonna give Family Guy a B and give Lumines a C-, why don't Hamburgers eat people? Why don't criminals chase cops?

You should've given RE4 a D- if you're working on the crazy scale critic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2006, 8:17 pm

[QUOTE=Zen444]I rarely disagree, but if you're gonna give Family Guy a B and give Lumines a C-, why don't Hamburgers eat people? Why don't criminals chase cops?

You should've given RE4 a D- if you're working on the crazy scale critic.[/QUOTE]

Gee, thanks for the insightful comments.  Don't bother offering any reasons or alternate views.  You probably haven't even played the games.

And oh yeah, if you're looking for reviews that "fall in line" with everyone else, IGN and Gamespot are open 24/7.  Enjoy.

Austin

Postby Austin » November 21st, 2006, 8:18 pm

I enjoyed Lumines alot more than you did. I would have given it about a B or B+.

a1

Postby a1 » November 21st, 2006, 8:41 pm

Lumines was a decent puzzle game that didn't deserve half the hype it got. It held my attention for maybe a couple days couple days. I was just glad I had only rented it. Why is the visual style even praised at all? It's a puzzle game so I wouldn't expect it to look great, and it hardly looks any better than any other puzzle games. I'd bump the grade up to a C or C+ because it wasn't awful, but it wasn't all that special either.

thrust261

Postby thrust261 » November 22nd, 2006, 3:02 am

I almost completely agree with the review. When I played Lumines for the first time, I couldn't understand why it was so popular. And I still can't!

BTW: Nobody has explained yet why it should get a higher rating. So maybe you can "enlighten" us? ;-)

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 22nd, 2006, 4:38 am

Well, that was discouraging. I always wanted a PSP, and LUMINES was a main reason, as I love most good puzzle games. However, I'm suspect on this because the critic also gave only an average review to ZOOKEEPER, one of my all time favorite puzzle games on the DS or ANY system (I was completely addicted to that for a LONG time). Yes,Zookeeper had bland graphics and bad music, but who cares if the gameplay is something you can't put down? Graphics and music are important on a shooter, not a puzzler.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 22nd, 2006, 5:05 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Well, that was discouraging. I always wanted a PSP, and LUMINES was a main reason, as I love most good puzzle games. However, I'm suspect on this because the critic also gave only an average review to ZOOKEEPER, one of my all time favorite puzzle games on the DS or ANY system (I was completely addicted to that for a LONG time). Yes,Zookeeper had bland graphics and bad music, but who cares if the gameplay is something you can't put down? Graphics and music are important on a shooter, not a puzzler. [/QUOTE]

Uhm... the Critic gave Zookeeper a B+ -- see here.  That's not average.  That's well above average.

I agree with you about the game though.  I bought Zookeeper for my five year old godson, but I ended up keeping it for myself for a long time before giving it to him.  I couldn't tear myself away from it.  Thank goodness I was able to get my hands on Ouendan and Trauma Center, or he might have never gotten that game.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 22nd, 2006, 5:31 am

My experience with Lumines is limited, but my experience with its DS sister game (Meteos) is not.  The critic was one of the few reviewers I came close to agreeing with on that one.  He gave Meteos a C+, and I'd have gien it a C-.  As a result, I'm thinking his thoughts on Lumines would also line up with mine.  Maybe other reviewers simply haven't played any puzzle games except Tetris, and don't have the right scale to see these as medicore. I've already explained why I think fans fell for them.

Return to “Review Feedback”