11/21/2006: PSP: Family Guy, Lumines, Twisted Metal Head-On

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 25th, 2006, 10:56 am

I didn't say I always agreed with them.  I looked at it that they were parrodying the fools who think that releasing massive amounts of carbon and sulphur compounds into the atmosphere was not having an effect.   I mean most the characters in the show are stupid, so generally what they think is often wrong.  I took it that way anyway.

a0

Postby a0 » November 25th, 2006, 4:48 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

I didn't say I always agreed with them.  I looked at it that they were parrodying the fools who think that releasing massive amounts of carbon and sulphur compounds into the atmosphere was not having an effect.   I mean most the characters in the show are stupid, so generally what they think is often wrong.  I took it that way anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I took it as them taunting the side that believes global warming is happening. They had that man-bear-pig episode which made fun of Al Gore, basically saying he invented a problem to help himself politically. Then they had the global warming panic episode where everyone thought global warming was happening immediately, and they made fun of people who take global warming seriously. It seems to me like they don't understand that global warming is a legitimate problem.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 25th, 2006, 5:11 pm

[QUOTE=a0]

I took it as them taunting the side that believes global warming is happening. They had that man-bear-pig episode which made fun of Al Gore, basically saying he invented a problem to help himself politically. Then they had the global warming panic episode where everyone thought global warming was happening immediately, and they made fun of people who take global warming seriously. It seems to me like they don't understand that global warming is a legitimate problem.

[/QUOTE]

Or... they don't accept that it's a legitimate problem.  The jury is still out on that one, friend.

It pays to be skeptical about claims like these until overwhelming evidence states otherwise.  As I pointed out, severe global climate changes have happened regularly, century-wise not epoch-wise, and they had little to do with our own pollution.

a1

Postby a1 » November 25th, 2006, 5:16 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]Or... they don't accept that it's a legitimate problem.  The jury is still out on that one, friend.

It pays to be skeptical about claims like these until overwhelming evidence states otherwise. 

[/QUOTE]

It seems as though if global warming is a real threat, which I am almost certain it is, by the time we see the overwhelming evidence you're looking for it would be too late.

Once again these forums turned political, so let's change it back to games. Wouldn't a game where you fight CO2 monsters to defeat global warming be awesome?

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 25th, 2006, 5:29 pm

I have never heard anyone outside of the US ever make that claim.

It is fact.  The ozone layer is permanently destroyed in some areas.  That has never happened over the years.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 25th, 2006, 5:44 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

I have never heard anyone outside of the US ever make that claim.

It is fact.  The ozone layer is permanently destroyed in some areas.  That has never happened over the years.

[/QUOTE]

We have no real clue if it happened over the years.  When I was in New Zealand for instance, which has one of the largest ozone holes hanging over it, it was readily acknowledged in their own museum that data about the ozone hole wasn't collected UNTIL we had the capability of recognizing that it existed.  As for what caused it, there is no conclusive answer.

It could very well be that the ozone layer is destroyed due to so-called greenhouse gasses, but no evidence thus far is conclusive.  I remain skeptical.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 25th, 2006, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=a]

It seems as though if global warming is a real threat, which I am almost certain it is, by the time we see the overwhelming evidence you're looking for it would be too late.

Once again these forums turned political, so let's change it back to games. Wouldn't a game where you fight CO2 monsters to defeat global warming be awesome?

[/QUOTE]

And once again, someone expects me to rush to action, both in vote and in my personal life, to allow politicians to disrupt business and thus the quality of my life, on something that has no conclusive evidence backing it up.

No thanks.  In the last thirty years, there have been at least a handful of such environmental concerns ultimately translated into legislation which ended up being built on these imminent threats that cannot wait for evidence, most of which turned out to be red herrings.  Given that much of that legislation still persists (it is much harder to abolish a law than to pass one), it's been a legal cancer introduced into our national bloodstream for the sake of a disease that was never there.

As I said, I remain skeptical of anything that smells like BS.

By the way, this program has not only the founder of Greenpeace showing his skepticism of global warming, it also has at least one non-American environmentalist who is extremely skeptical of global warming.  So, bluemonkey, you can no longer say you haven't heard one say it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 25th, 2006, 11:09 pm

In the 1970's, the buzz was about global cooling - the inevitable next ice age.  In another 20 years, it will probably be something else.

I recently had a conversation about this with a respected Baltimore weatherman.  He explained that the earth goes through temperature cycles since it was formed.  These cycles would occur even if we were not here.  Correlation does not equal causation.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 26th, 2006, 2:37 am

I agree we should get back to gaming here. EVERYone has their own views on politics, which I don't even follow.
Wasn't there a genny game called TOXIC CRUSDAERS, tied in with MC-Donalds? I remember that as an enviormental game.
BTW, in my post it may have sounded like I don't believe the earth has cooled/warmed over decades and centuries. OF COURSE it does, constantly! It's called a WEATHER SYSTEM! Some years or even decades will show drastic changes. But the OVERALL trend is getting warmer. Scientists are not always right, though. I love dinosaurs, and Brontosaurus is a perfects example. Discovered by C.Marsh, a half skeleton was mounted with the head of a CAMAROAURUS and called BRONTOSAURUS! Duh! It took them almost 40 years to realize, the skeleton had already been found and named- we now know Bronty is really APATOSAURUS, and had a skull totally different then the original. Be skeptical of EVERYthing!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2006, 12:55 pm

I agree that you have to be skeptical about everything.  Medical "experts" are debunking each other's theories constantly, and politicians are clueless.  Check out this 1974 time magazine article
about global cooling.

Return to “Review Feedback”