Retron 5 Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Retron 5 Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2017, 7:18 pm

I've never seen that region free version of Retro Freak in stock EVER on PlayAsia's site. If it ever becomes available I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't know what the deal is.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 30th, 2017, 10:50 pm

The Retro Freak is in stock now on Amazon for $165 free shipping. Again, the region free version is the same except that it comes with an nes to famicom converter. You can buy those on Ebay for $10. Or, you can just load the nes roms directly and forgo the adapter. I play my NES games on either my AVS or Analogue NT, so I never bothered with an adapter for the Retro Freak.

I think it's worth it just for the Turbografx/PC Engine support. I like being able to play my PC Engine and Turbografx games on an HD TV using a real PC Engine controller. I paid about $190 on Amazon a couple months ago, and now they are down to $165.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 30th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I forgot to mention, the Retro Freak also plays Supergrafx games...all six of them!

Rev

Postby Rev » August 31st, 2017, 6:40 pm

Nice! I'm glad you reviewed this. I enjoy mine as well and does what it says it'll do. Won't replace mine either but I still like it.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » September 7th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I've never paid these systems any attention, due to owning the original consoles. But I think you're review might have won me over.. You point out some good advantages--the biggest (for me) being the ability to stick this in the family room as one consolidated retro console. Despite having a game room, sometimes it's nice to play games in the family room, but it's always a hassle to bring the systems out for that. So this would come in handy. The graphics upgrade sounds interesting too.

For RPGs and other games with battery backup, will it save to the cartridge AND the Retron 5, or just to the Retron 5?

Yeah, the reason I bought a Retron 5 is that I sometimes like hooking up the old systems to the big tv in the main room, especially when I have people over who want to play them. It is great because it is an easy way to have multiple classics hooked up at once, and it looks a lot better on the HDTV than it would if I used the composite cables in the old systems.

Return to “Review Feedback”