2017/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 18

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 18

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 14th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I think this review turned out pretty good. It definitely honest! Your thoughts?

Retro STrife

Re: 2017/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 18

Postby Retro STrife » September 14th, 2017, 5:45 pm

I think it's a very fair review, although I feel a little differently. I've given my thoughts in the Now Playing forum, so I won't repeat them here. But to me, it's more of an A- or B+. However, I admit that I have a different perspective, since I haven't played a Madden game in nearly 10 years. From my viewpoint, those incremental yearly changes have built into one monumental leap, and the game is extremely well-refined in my eyes. But I understand that the game is probably just "more of the same" for gamers that buy it each year and experience the changes in much smaller doses. It's fair to compare it to last year and expect more.

I'm confused by some of your critiques though, because I haven't had the same issues, such as the following:

*Passing icons - I always hold R2 before each play to give a view of the whole field and check the various passing routes and icons, as a reminder to myself. If you don't use that method, give it a shot.
*Close camera angle while running - I haven't felt the same way. I wonder if your camera settings are off. Either that or we just have different preferences.
*Low passing view - This really makes me feel like your camera settings are off. The default passing view is very high and a very wide view of the field. In fact, I think it's too high and too wide! Based on how far I sit from the TV, the players are almost too small for me to see adequately on passing plays, due to the width of the view. It is much wider than the old Madden games I used to play. Trying hitting the D-Pad buttons before the snap..that changes the camera angle, I think. You may have inadvertently changed the setting to a bad view?

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 14th, 2017, 6:49 pm

No criticism of this game can be made until you view the alternative I have to deal with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwfjxR5t5M

No, those are not real teams (but they are based on real teams, cutting right up against trademark). No, those are not real players names. No, this is not PS1, it is this year.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 15th, 2017, 6:04 am

Be fair. That's at least early PS2 quality. Look at all that texture smoothing and the excellent frame rate. Nobody's made out of visible triangles.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 15th, 2017, 9:00 am

Not much of a sports fan, but I must say that Madden screencap is impressive; it looks like a photo at 1st glance.

The Canadian Football game; is it really that blurry? More important than the graphics, is it fun to play? Not everyone $30 million for realistic modeling, so I can forgive bad graphics if it plays well (and is cheap $10-$20 instead of $50-$60.)

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 15th, 2017, 11:46 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Be fair. That's at least early PS2 quality. Look at all that texture smoothing and the excellent frame rate. Nobody's made out of visible triangles.

Hey, I'm being pretty fair, as I'm going to buy it soon anyway. :) 3 down football is still 3 down football, regardless of graphics or team names. I'm just saying, I wish EA would just do a CFL DLC pack some year for Madden. I'd buy a system, game, and DLC just for that.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » September 15th, 2017, 11:48 am

pacman000 wrote:Not much of a sports fan, but I must say that Madden screencap is impressive; it looks like a photo at 1st glance.

The Canadian Football game; is it really that blurry? More important than the graphics, is it fun to play? Not everyone $30 million for realistic modeling, so I can forgive bad graphics if it plays well (and is cheap $10-$20 instead of $50-$60.)

I'll know in a week or so when I buy it how it plays. On Steam it's $21 Canadian (Steam recognizes Canadian currency directly, so I'm not sure what the price is in USD).

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Mutant League Football is my favorite football game of all time. ALL TIME!

That's literally all I have to add to this. I don't like sports games.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 17th, 2017, 10:34 pm

My favorite football game is still the Mattel handheld. Can team headshot sniper dots beat team inexpensive cat distraction?

If we're talking anything that resembles an actual sport, it's Tecmo Super Bowl.

But then again, the last football game I watched in its entirety was Flash Gordon vs. Ming's guards. I'm just not a fan of the sport interrupting all my commercials. (I know the commercial breaks don't last long - oops, I meant, breaks from commercials! But still.)

Return to “Review Feedback”