Top 50 Console Games List REVISED!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Top 50 Console Games List REVISED!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2017, 7:54 pm

With so many great new games released of late, I had to revise my Top 50 Console Video Game List with three new titles!

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/theme ... -1.htm?j=3

Comments??

DrLitch

Re: Top 50 Console Games List REVISED!

Postby DrLitch » December 7th, 2017, 3:09 am

Your list has a nice balance of titles. Brave list as well, no Metroid or Ocarina of Time to be seen! Thanks for update, many of these titles I have never played.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 7th, 2017, 8:55 am

I notice that Metal Slug is listed as a 1994 release both here and on the Neo Geo page (it's from 1996). Also, a couple typos: "avante-garde" (from the BioShock comment; should be "avant-garde", although I think that term is better applied to something like Killer7) and "userful" (from the Sonic 2 comment).

By the way, Gran Turismo 5 has a B- grade from 2013. Is that review going to be updated?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 7th, 2017, 9:16 am

Still a great list. Your list is much different than the traditional "best of" lists around the internet (which always seem to have the same games), and I think it's a good thing that yours is that way. I'm glad to see games like Virtua Tennis, Road Rash, NBA Jam: TE, and Tony Hawk 2 make the list, since those games are ridiculously fun and addictive, yet somehow sports/racing titles never seem to get respect on these lists when other people make them. Personally, I'd put Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) ranked higher than any other sports game, but to each his own. As I mentioned last time you posted this, my biggest qualm is with Vandal Hearts, since I think you would find that it is a very average strategy-RPG if you gave superior games in the genre a shot (like Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1/PSP).

Also, setting aside my recent anti Super Mario Odyssey complaints, I still find it tough to put any brand new game at #1 on the list. I feel like it'd be better to have a game there that has stuck with you long term and has proven to stand the test of time, rather than one that you just started a few weeks ago and are probably still in the midst of playing. It sets up an issue a few years from now if you're re-editing this list, as to whether you have to downgrade it due to the passage of time (rather than a usual reason, like other games surpassing it). I think it's a fair point, because I know that you felt similarly about Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 when you first played them and yet they didn't even make your original Top 50 list.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 7th, 2017, 11:47 am

No Tank Pong. List is invalid.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 7th, 2017, 7:04 pm

CURIOus. Why Double Dash over MK8?

Great list , though I definitely expected to see Super Metroid or Prime on there somewhere.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 7th, 2017, 7:43 pm

I just cannot agree with you that Mario Odyssey is the greatest game of all time. I am not even sure if it would make my top 20 or 30. I fun read but I am not buying it.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 8th, 2017, 8:06 am

newmodelarmy wrote:I just cannot agree with you that Mario Odyssey is the greatest game of all time. I am not even sure if it would make my top 20 or 30. I fun read but I am not buying it.

Lol. I don’t think he’s selling it.

Have you played Odyssey? I haven’t but everyone I’ve talked to that has said that despite its cheesiness, it wins you over with its charm and excellent control. “I don’t want to like it.....but it’s just so fun!!!”

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 8th, 2017, 9:16 am

It's nice to see Crash Bandicoot and Crash Team Racing on the list. Too often Crash is considered an "also ran" by modern gaming press, but when released these games were a big deal. For PS1 owners he was equal to Mario or Sonic. It disappointed me when the next generation had Crash games on every console.

The 1st game pushed the PSX's graphics so far people couldn't believe they were real; when Naughty Dog demoed the game at the CES the audience thought the game was running on a $100,000+ Silicon Graphics workstation.

None of the games had much exploration. They emphasized action over exploration. Compare Crash to his contemporary Croc. Croc is a good game, but it's fairly slow paced. Usually your in a room with one or two enemies. You have to avoid them to get to the next door, but the main challenge is jumping between platforms over bottomless pits or lava.

That's not to say Crash's games offered nothing to explore. Crash 2 had it's fair share of secrets and branching paths, if you look hard enough.

Crash was fun. He should be remembered, and I hope the recent re-release may bring him back into the limelight. I doubt it will; it's like asking for Felix the Cat or Popeye to come back. Their time has passed, and I doubt they could repeat their earlier successes. But I can dream, right?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 8th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I fixed the typos, and I really should go back over that GT5 review.
My friend Brent lobbied hard to get that one on the list! Cars are his thing, so if it's the best racer, he would know.

Return to “Review Feedback”