12/16/2006: Playstation 2: Family Guy, Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 16th, 2006, 11:32 am

Please feel free to leave comments on these new reviews.

Austin

Postby Austin » December 16th, 2006, 11:50 am

Good job with the MKA review. and i agree completely. There are just too many stupid minor charcters in the roster, and the new fatality system sucks.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » December 16th, 2006, 12:36 pm

I found myself not really liking the new fatality system, since I have a major list of ways to finish off the opponent. Do this, do that, and you have a fatality. Seems boring. I'm getting the Premium Edition soon, and I'm glad Midway added Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 as a playable version. That's why Collector's Editions in games are better...

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 17th, 2006, 5:43 am

VGC, help me out here! I am not an MK fan, so I have no doubts that MK armageddon is a mediocore game, as your TEXT seems to keep pointing out. From just reading the review alone, one would guess you gave the game a D+, certainly no more than a C- ! Saying "This should tide MK fans over" and "they didn't put much effort" into the story mode (along with many, many other comments) really makes the game sound sub-par, yet you gave it a B , without saying WHY it deserves such a high mark. You really didn't seem to like much about it at all ("too many characters" "..seems gratuitous", etc...) ! Was the B a mistake or were you feeling depressed while reviewing it ("Ah, all games suck these days anyway!")

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 17th, 2006, 10:42 am

You make some good points, and I went ahead and adjusted the grade to a B-.  The reason it's still a good game is because the gameplay is still fun.  It's a let-down with regard to the new features and "enhancements", but it's still the same solid fighter underneath.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 18th, 2006, 1:13 am

My feeling is that MKA is  "C" grade game at best.

This is the game that embodies "more is actually less".

Simply too many compromises to get all those 60 fighters into the game, which are~

*many fighting stances/styles are recycled among the characters

* the endings are just spoken text, no pictures or movies to go with it

*the universal generic fatality system

* too few stages/backgrounds

*the reduction of the number of fighting stances for each character

My feeling that they should have not wasted memory on the "Konquest Mode" and "Motor Kombat", and instead, made sure that characters got good ending-cinemas and trademark fatalites instead.

But even brushing all those issues aside, I think the gameplay has become outdated. It's not fun gameplay like the VGC insists. I think the air-combos and reduction of fighting-stances was a step-back from the MK Deception.

It also really urks me that, in "The Krypt" they tell you what the bonuses are before you buy them. What made "The Krypt" so fun in previous is games was the mystery of not knowing what you were buying.

My biggest nagging feeling of all is that this game should have been an Xbox360/PS3 release. With all that extra memory, EVERYTHING in this game could have been alot better. You could have had a "Motor Kombat" with alot more tracks&cars to use. The "Konquest" mode could have been a deeper, longer, more eleborate game. Most importantly, all the compromises I listed above would have been easily overcome. I also think the extra graphical splender would have been good, as MKA looks somewhat graphically dated to my eyes.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » December 18th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Well, MK: Armageddon is coming out for the Wii soon, yet it probably won't boost the graphics very much (if at all).  So, I guess that's the closest we'll get to next-gen MK for a while.

Having said that, I'm curious on how they'll use the Wii-Mote for that version of the game.  Perhaps decapitating a guy by swinging the Wii-Mote sideways? Or gutting a guy by sticking the Wii-Mote forward and twisting?  The possibilties for virtual death are endless!

Austin

Postby Austin » December 19th, 2006, 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]

Well, MK: Armageddon is coming out for the Wii soon, yet it probably won't boost the graphics very much (if at all).  So, I guess that's the closest we'll get to next-gen MK for a while.

Having said that, I'm curious on how they'll use the Wii-Mote for that version of the game.  Perhaps decapitating a guy by swinging the Wii-Mote sideways? Or gutting a guy by sticking the Wii-Mote forward and twisting?  The possibilties for virtual death are endless!

[/QUOTE] They'll probably use the classic controller.

But motion control would be amazing

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » December 28th, 2006, 2:53 am

I made my review on Mortal Kombat Armageddon, and I also showed the pros and cons between the two editions of the game. Hope you guys like the review, it's been a while since I've made one. And yeah, I'm hoping that the Wii version of Armageddon is better, with some cool motion-sensing controllers. For example, you could jab the Wii Remote forward to attack.

Return to “Review Feedback”