2018/7/1: Sega CD: Stellar-Fire, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/7/1: Sega CD: Stellar-Fire, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2018, 7:27 pm

Here are two new Sega CD reviews for you to comment on. I'm working my way thought the Pitfall reviews...

Stalvern

Re: 2018/7/1: Sega CD: Stellar-Fire, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Postby Stalvern » July 2nd, 2018, 12:25 am

I cracked up at the "red schlongs" line because I'm actually a ten-year-old.

But seriously, how wobbly and stretchy is yours that you decided on that comparison? Yikes!

brendand

Postby brendand » July 2nd, 2018, 1:06 am

Interesting that Stellar Fire is not anywhere near Stellar 7 Draxons Revenge 3DO grade

jon

Postby jon » July 2nd, 2018, 9:07 pm

The thing with Dynamix is they were amazing with sports games. They're a pretty legendary developer. It's a shame this game doesn't look good. I have noticed that the 3do game got a good grade. There are a lot of mid to late 90's interesting looking mech and FPS games released by Dynamix for the computer though. What an unbelievable shame it is that they didn't release the football and baseball pro games for consoles. Let's just say those games made the SNES look like a joke. In fact, I remember thinking just that in 1994.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » July 3rd, 2018, 12:51 pm

I never bought a mega cd. I wish I had. There were some classy games for it. Now I look at reviews like this and think I dodged a bullet. As with the gizmondo and the N Gage. Consoles that looked awful. I know you like the mushroom but it was poorly supported in the UK. (32x)
The starting movie for Stella fire looks awesome and then the game comes on. It looks like Galaxian 3 a game that was all graphics and lousy game play.

It is a shame that the mega cd port of PTMA was not better. It was a bit like the Jag version in so far as the person making the conversion was not the original maker of the game so you did not get the full experience of a games producer at the top of their game.
Good reviews that get the flavour of the games.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 3rd, 2018, 10:27 pm

I was not disappointed with Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure CD in any way. It was 5 or 10 dollars cheaper than the Cart versions. It offered the video from the game's commercial. It offered far superior sounds which had a depth to them when played through a good stereo. The music was real CD quality and I think the tunes fit the gameplay better than the cart versions. Finally, there are more stages and expanded stages. Now, if you feel these additions aren't impressive, then put yourself back in the early 90s. More levels, video, and awesome CD sound is exactly what Sega promised with the system. You got the best version of the game and it cost less. The wee bit of load times was negligible.

On top of those CD extras, if you liked Pitfall and Pitfall 2, PTMA was a great 16 bit update, all the versions. Great smooth animation, lots of platforming action and a respectful update overall. I loved running into the old Atari version scorpion and finding the original Pitfall game hidden in this one.

Anyway, Stellar Fire to me is crap and no fun, a 4/10 at best, but PTMA CD is an 8/10.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 6th, 2018, 3:25 pm

^Cafeman's post matches what I've read from other folks who know P:TMA well. The Sega CD version has the extra levels that are also present in the 32X version, but without the framerate issues that plague that version. (The 32X cart updates about half of the onscreen elements at 30fps, the rest at 60fps, and the effect is almost physically unsettling.)

The Sega CD version also eliminates slowdown that's present in the Genesis version, or so I'm told. This post from Sega-16 is informative:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... post641726

Anyway, looking forward to the review of the 32X version -- which, with only three unreviewed 32X games left, will automatically get 1/3 of the remaining library done! :)

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 25th, 2018, 11:22 am

Here's an informative video about the different ports of Pitfall: TMA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnWruWDTfSw

The Sega CD version emerges as the clear winner.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » November 25th, 2018, 3:17 pm

goldenband wrote:Here's an informative video about the different ports of Pitfall: TMA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnWruWDTfSw

The Sega CD version emerges as the clear winner.

John's DF Retro are really a pleasure to watch.

Even when he's reviewing/analysing a modern game or a game I didn't even have the slightest idea existed, I'm just entranced.

Return to “Review Feedback”