2018/8/10: Playstation: The Mummy, The Simpsons Wrestling

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/8/10: Playstation: The Mummy, The Simpsons Wrestling

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Here are two entertaining little Playstation One reviews. What do you think?

Sonicx9

Re: 2018/8/10: Playstation: The Mummy, The Simpsons Wrestling

Postby Sonicx9 » August 10th, 2018, 4:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here are two entertaining little Playstation One reviews. What do you think?

Good reviews,

For The Simpsons Wrestling, I am so glad I never owned or played this game as a kid, because this could have been the worst game I ever loved if I did so glad I did not touch it as it could have traumatized me like how Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Ghostbusters 2016 and the infamous Emoji Movie where when I watch all 3 of these terrible movies!

As for The Mummy game some fun facts related with the game. It was once planed for the Sega Dreamcast, but it was canceled because Konami was cutting it Sega Dreamcast support around that time period, it not just effect that game, but also affected Woody Woodpecker Racing Dreamcast port and even the port of Microsoft Age of Empires II which would get a PS2 version in Japan and Europe instead, along with a Japanese release of a game that did show up in the west which was The Grinch which has Japanese voices on the GD-Rom disc data FYI. In fact the only Konami/Universal Interactive Studios game that saw the light of day on Dreamcast was The Grinch likely because Konami was giving up it support around that time frame just to focus on the PS2/GameCube and Xbox respectively. Also a different Game Boy Color version of The Mummy was also released along with both Woody Woodpecker Racing and The Grinch respectively.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 10th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Nice. Another F- rating. I'd never even heard of this stinker.

Would it have been better if it was just a standard 3D fighter rather than trying to incorporate the wrestling aspect?

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » August 11th, 2018, 9:48 am

Don't remember The Mummy, But yes I owned The Simpsons Wrestling and it is as bad as the Critic said but much more than he really knows, I did remember at the time that game stores like Hollywood Video refused to take this game for rent or purchase as the N64 was mainly dominate in that store and the only place one could find it was at the time:Movie Gallery.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm

You mentioned that the Simpsons Wrestling was surprisingly popular back in the day. Was it really? I know it was released for a lot of consoles but didn't realize it sold well. If it did, that is pretty shocking because I remember it getting torn apart on reviews back then.

Anyway, good review!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Yeah I was perusing an old Gamepro or EGM magazine from the late 90's, and there were sales charts for all the popular systems. The Simpsons Wrestling was at the top of the Playstation chart. I'm sure it didn't stay they for long though, once word got out.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » August 11th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Sounds like a huge pile of dinosaur do dos. Though I loath the simpsons anyway. So I would never have purchased this.

The Mummy. It looks like a run of the mill psx game of which there were many. It started off as such a fine system and like everything soon the real trash starts appearing.

Talking of trash it must be time to re review Kiss Pinball. That was a real stinker. Speaking as a Kiss fan of 40 odd years.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 11th, 2018, 5:41 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:Talking of trash it must be time to re review Kiss Pinball. That was a real stinker.

If I'm remembering it right, KISS Pinball was a budget title, which I think retailed for $9.99. Seemed like there were quite a few brand new PlayStation games that went for the same amount right around the end of the system's life cycle. I remember being in Best Buy looking at PS2 games when that system first launched, and seeing an entire rack of new PlayStation titles all going for about ten bucks. Not that price always dictates quality, but I do remember seeing KISS Pinball there, and the price point definitely set off some alarm bells.

Also,yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! I remember that The Simpsons Wrestling didn't get very good reviews back in the day, but an F-? That, sir, caught me by surprise. I guess that Half Price Books in Louisville knew what they had on their hands when they priced it for three bucks!

Reminds me of an actual Simpsons episode, where Homer bought an auto-dialing machine and was calling up everyone in Springfield at odd hours of the night. Mr. Burns picks up the phone, and Homer's message is something along the lines of, "Hello, friend! Do you want to experience eternal happiness? Then just send one dollar to Homer Simpson at... Thank you, and have a nice day!" Mr. Burns hangs up the phone, ponders for a moment, and says, "Hmm... one dollar for eternal happiness? I think I'd be happier with the dollar."

Classic :D

Return to “Review Feedback”