2018/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 19, Tempest 4000

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 19, Tempest 4000

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 14th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Let's hear your thoughts on these two new PS4 reviews.

Sonicx9

Re: 2018/9/14: Playstation 4: Madden NFL 19, Tempest 4000

Postby Sonicx9 » September 14th, 2018, 2:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's hear your thoughts on these two new PS4 reviews.

Good review for Tempest 4000, wish it had a Switch port because it perfect for it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 14th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Great review on Madden. I buy a new Madden once every 5 years or so. I got last year's version, so I'm on the sideline for this one. But I still like reading your take on it. A couple good laughs -- the pick-offs was a great line; and the "30 years" sarcasm at the end. Sounds like there's a lot of little annoyances in the games, but (assuming it's the same as last year) I actually think Madden plays a better game of football than people give it credit for. Modern sports games (especially football) might just be the hardest genre to develop because they are not open to interpretation at all -- you have to perfectly replicate a game of football, with all 22 players on the field acting realistically, and while still remaining fun. Make an FPS, adventure game, whatever else, and you have much more freedom, and mistakes or imbalances are not as obvious.

Interesting review on Tempest 4000. I've played the original Tempest, along with Tempest 2000 on Jag, and Tempest 3000 on Nuon, but none of them have ever hooked me. They get great reviews, but they're just not for me. Tempest 4k sounds like more of the same.. probably just a slight upgrade to Tempest 3000. A few months back, I wrote up a review of Tempest 3000 for the Readers Review forum, but hadn't posted it yet. Maybe I'll finish that soon. My understanding is that the game is only available on Nuon - which is now an expensive system to collect for. I was fortunate to get mine back when it was easier to find.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » September 15th, 2018, 10:00 am

Tempest 4000 - are you sure that's not the New Atari Vcs version .... Oh wait my bad ... Lmao sorry I thought that might give everyone a good laugh !

Rev

Postby Rev » September 18th, 2018, 9:03 am

I liked the reviews. This was my favorite line in the whole thing:

Random messages like "PLEASURE" and "YES YES YES" make you feel like you're indulging in some sort of perverted fantasy.

I laughed for like a minute in this line.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » September 18th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Tempest 4000 is quite the thrill to play I admit, I own it and if you have Canadian Dry and Brandy to combine, It'll be just as trippy as the game itself. :idea:

Sut

Postby Sut » September 18th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I wrote up a review of Tempest 3000 for the Readers Review forum, but hadn't posted it yet. Maybe I'll finish that soon. My understanding is that the game is only available on Nuon - which is now an expensive system to collect for. I was fortunate to get mine back when it was easier to find.

I would be really interested in reading that there is very little on Nuon games out there.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 18th, 2018, 5:55 pm

The Madden review didn't surprise me, unfortunately. Herschie started a topic a few weeks back about his time with the game, and the general consensus was that the game made a good first impression, before it became obvious that, well, "it's Madden." Another takeaway from that thread is that plenty of us are still pretty fond of the classic 16-bit series, most of us gravitating towards Madden '92. I still own '92, myself, as well as a few other games in the series, and still come back to them from time to time. I also love Mutant League Football, which gets a regular amount of playtime in my home, as well.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, has anyone out there tried the recently released Mutant Football League? I know it's currently only a downloadable game, but a physical release is coming next month for all three current home systems. I'm thinking about picking it up since, for one, it retails for $30, and for two, it'll be the only modern football game available for the Switch. Sorry, but downloading Ten Yard Fight from the eShop doesn't count :-P

I haven't played MFL, myself, but I enjoy it's predecessor, and the reviews I've read have been fairly positive. If nothing else, it's not a perfect or particularly well-made game, but it's fun, and you can tell the developers were putting forth the effort to make something different from the more traditional football games out there. Of course, the same could be said for the Mutant League games on the Sega Genesis - they weren't the best, but they were fun, and were a great alternative to the Madden and NHL series on the console.

Since a fair amount of us here seem to be tired of Madden year in and year out, myself included, it might be worth it to give MFL a shot.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 28th, 2021, 10:53 pm

I play Tempest 4000 on my PC. It is a game that has woeful controls. I loved t2k and t played them to death. This one has seen 7 hours play in the last year or so. It has a whole host of problems before you even get to the game. One of the benefits of Steam is you can use big picture mode and play it on your TV. Fab, well almost as you have to set the resolution each time you play the game for the first time. It does not save your preference nor can it detect the configuration of your PC.

When First playing it, the graphics are rather underwhelming. Given how outstanding they were on the Jag I am not sure he went the vector look. What really lets this game down it the controls. Even though you were playing on a digital d pad the controls were so tight you went where you wanted to go. On the PC T4k has over steer.

Plus I was watching it on the ps4 and it looked better, had better sound and just looked the gen above the pc. Plus there is a bug on the pc. If you finish the game it just ends with the game stopping playing and then crashes.
It plays like a C and looks inferior to the ps4 version. The critic makes the ps4 version look good and I am certainly tempted to see if it is any better on xbox 1.

Return to “Review Feedback”