Super Nintendo Classic Edition Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Super Nintendo Classic Edition Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 9th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Finally wrote it up. Let me know what you think.

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/revi ... lassic.htm

ActRaiser

Re: Super Nintendo Classic Edition Review

Postby ActRaiser » October 9th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Nice write up. I would humbly suggest including the ease with which it takes to mod it to add your own roms. Frankly, it was the only way I would ever experience Terranigma. (wonderful game by the way)

There's a niche audience that's willing to pay someone else to do it for them based on what one can find searching eBay. As a result, one can either mod it themselves or have someone else help to put all the games they own onto a single system to avoid having to swap out cartidges. ;)

Hagane

Postby Hagane » October 9th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Nice review, you could have put the new Star Fox 2 game on the "pros" section, it's an exclusive to this system.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 10th, 2018, 5:44 am

Great review and always a pleasant read. I love my SNES classic. I missed out on most of these games "back in the day" so it is fun to be able to enjoy them now at a very reasonable price. My only complaint is that 20 games seems a bit light. I would recommend the 8bitdo wireless controller, it is terrific and you can snag it for under $30.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 10th, 2018, 9:06 am

With all due respect critic, I really can't see how anyone would expect to have physical manuals with this system. You had the same complaint with the NES classic. The point of these systems is to be plug and play and have a couple of dozen games on one device. Nice and easy. I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to have 21 physical manuals in the box.

It would be similar to downloading an album off of Itunes and then complaining that they didn't mail you the physical liner notes.

i get where you're coming from though, I loved those old Nintendo manuals too. But I think for these devices, being able to download the manuals and having those handy on your tablet/phone next to you while playing is pretty reasonable.

Great review though!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 10th, 2018, 10:21 am

Great review. I would have liked some of the real exclusives for the system. Doom. The first version I ever played. Utterly superb. Zombies ate my neighbors.

I am still holding out for the Jaguar Flashback console.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I believe Star Fox 2 was finished back in the day even though it ultimately went unreleased. I don't think Nintendo finished it for the SNES Classic Edition like the review says.

And while I don't think physical replicas of the original manuals were realistic, I'm still slightly annoyed that the digital scans aren't accessible from the system itself. These pdf files aren't very big and 720p is plenty of resolution to make them easily readable.

And I'd take it a step further had I been the one making decisions and include high quality box scans of the original system box and the game boxes as bonus materials. And a final nice touch would've been a scan of the original system manual like we've seen done with some VCS collections.
Last edited by Atariboy on October 11th, 2018, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Great review. I think it's a great system. Especially good for casual retro gamers that want to experience an SNES, without the usual price of entry (at least a few hundred for a system and starter collection of good games). While 21 games feels a little light compared to the 30 on the NES Classic, there's a lot more substance and quality here than on the NES Classic. As your review mentioned, several of these games are worth more than $80 on their own if you bought the cartridges. There's also a lot more classics here worth playing, with very few fluff games, whereas there are many games on the NES Classic that I wouldn't ever bother playing.

My two biggest gripes: (1) the controller cords are longer which is nice, but they are still way too short for most living rooms -- controller extensions are almost mandatory, but fortunately the Wii U / NES Classic extensions work here too; and (2) like your review mentioned, I hate the need to get up and go to the system to reset -- if they don't want to put a home button on the controller (for purity reasons), then at least allow a soft reset by holding down all of the buttons.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2018, 7:08 pm

bluenote wrote:With all due respect critic, I really can't see how anyone would expect to have physical manuals with this system. You had the same complaint with the NES classic. The point of these systems is to be plug and play and have a couple of dozen games on one device. Nice and easy. I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to have 21 physical manuals in the box.

It would be similar to downloading an album off of Itunes and then complaining that they didn't mail you the physical liner notes.

i get where you're coming from though, I loved those old Nintendo manuals too. But I think for these devices, being able to download the manuals and having those handy on your tablet/phone next to you while playing is pretty reasonable.

Great review though!

Have to disagree with you there. I think the main point of these system is to recapture the magic of playing these old games. Hence the classic-stylings and CRT-scan option. I don't think anyone would have complained about 21 manuals in the box. In fact, I bet a lot of classic gamers would have purchased it for the manuals alone!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 10th, 2018, 8:21 pm

I was on the fence about this console but ultimately went with the Analogue Super Nt. Can't go wrong either way - both are easy to mod and play tons of games. Nice review!

Return to “Review Feedback”