2018/11/3: Atari 7800: Midnight Mutants

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/11/3: Atari 7800: Midnight Mutants

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

Considering my previous review for this game was dating 8-1-1999, I think an update was in order. Where has all the time gone?
Anyway I think this expanded review is pretty good, although I did lower the grade slightly from B to B-.
Hope you enjoy it.

Breaker

Re: 2018/11/3: Atari 7800: Midnight Mutants

Postby Breaker » November 3rd, 2018, 11:19 am

Nice review; I love the joke about Atari knowing 90's kids loved 60's comedies!

I'm curious on re-reviews: I know you grade based on how good/fun/well-designed it is today compared to other games for the system. If a grade changes, is it more likely that your perception of good/fun/etc. has changed, that you found out more about/or got further into the game, or that you've experienced more of the catalog so it's relative place has shifted? Or something completely outside of these reasons?

Probably some combination, but I thought I'd ask if any one of them was typically a larger driver than the others.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 3rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

It's a good question, but I don't think I could have provided a better answer than you did!

Despite all those factors, the tone of the review is usually the same, and the grade usually close. More often than not I just like to spice up the older reviews which seem a bit short or generic.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 3rd, 2018, 11:34 pm

80's kid here. 60's comedies were still in reruns, and for many kids, they were way more appealing than the modern comedies, because they tackled relatable situations like Batman, witchcraft, and monsters of both the human and inhuman variety.

They weren't hurting for new fans.

With that said, Grandpa Munster? Is that really the best Munster they could think of? Sure, he's a vampire, but, he's also a nice old grandpa, in a time when the NES was tempting us with Freddy and Jason instead. And if kids were forced to choose between getting advice from the best grandpa ever, or becoming a dream warrior and fighting an undead pedophile armed with the coolest glove ever invented?

I mean, Nightmare on Elm Street 3 was the closest thing we had to The Avengers.

But with that said, I'm glad this game exists. It's theme is so awkward, and confused, and sometimes, even a little bit cool for a few minutes, that it feels like a game an actual grandpa made for his grandchildren.

I hope everyone who made it has a lifetime of the best Halloweens ever.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2018, 9:34 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
I hope everyone who made it has a lifetime of the best Halloweens ever.

I second this. With the variety of monsters and random phrases that run across the top of the screen, it's clear the programmers had a passion for the holiday. And it makes a difference!

Return to “Review Feedback”