1/2/2007: PSP: LocoRoco, Mortal Kombat Unchained, Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2007, 12:00 pm

These games got far more credit that they deserved in the general media.  It's time for the VGC to set the record straight on this overrated titles.  Feel free to chime in.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 2nd, 2007, 12:49 pm

I would personally give LocoRoco something in the "B" range. I really enjoyed the stages and I loved the music. I wish the game was more difficult as you can breeze through each stage with no problem. I usually don't enjoy the "collect items" aspect that some games offered but I liked this one. Hopefully they will have a sequel that will be more compelling. I haven't played the fighting games so I can't comment on that. I do like how you throw in the "bump up/down" grade aspect. I mean, if you never played Tekken before (I haven't) then it sounds like this would make a pretty good fighting game on the psp; I'll have to give it a try.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 2nd, 2007, 1:17 pm

I wouldn't call LocoRoco "critcally acclaimed"...

IGN gave the game a relatively lofty score of 9.0, while Gamespot ranked it at a much more average 7.7. 

Gamerankings overall score is an 8.5, but people seem to be all over the place with this one.  Perhaps it falls into the "love it or hate it" category of games.

I had high hopes for the title, but when I get a PSP I will wait for it to drop down in price.

Anywho...nice to see some more handheld reviews.  I eagerly await your new crop of DS reviews.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » January 2nd, 2007, 1:55 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]These games got far more credit that they deserved in the general media.  It's time for the VGC to set the record straight on this overrated titles.  Feel free to chime in.
[/QUOTE]

Based on your review, "LocoRoco" reminds me of the old game "On The Ball" for SNES. Not too original.

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » January 2nd, 2007, 3:44 pm

I mean, the technical achievement of Tekken is something that cannot be ignored. It's rather amazing to see something like this on a handheld--especially one that plays this well and has so little in terms of loading times.

I love Tekken, so this game would get a very high score, in my eyes. I think you underrated it a bit, but whatever.

If anyone is curious, Tekken DR is fantastic. At least rent it, if you have a mild interest in fighting games or the PSP.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 2nd, 2007, 3:52 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I wouldn't call LocoRoco "critcally acclaimed"...[/QUOTE]

I think the game was hyped for a long time.  It was eagerly anticipated, and when it turned out to be less than stellar, it was a severe disappointment.

It can happen the other way around too.  I remember when many critics were expecting "God of War" to be a big flop.  Then when they actually got and played the game, they were almost universal in acclaiming it.  RE4 was expected to be a hit, and was, but "God of War" wasn't anticipated to be as great as it actually was.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 2nd, 2007, 4:23 pm

Perhaps these games got good reviews because they were considered a step up from the millions of mediocre to bad PSP games.  If the state of PSP software doesn't tell you that the system will (hopefully) be dead by the year's end, I don't know what will (well, I guess the fact that a lot of the "best" PSP games are being ported to more popular systems like PS2 and 360... and that the Japanese are buying 360s at a more rapid rate than PSPs).

Nice reviews, by the way.  And just out of curiousity, what saved MK: Armageddon from the F?  

Shawn

Postby Shawn » January 2nd, 2007, 4:52 pm

How is the system going to be dead? I don't get that. It has sold 17 million units since it's release.  The 360 has sold 10 million, is that system almost dead to? There are plenty of great games out there but I won't try to convince you.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 2nd, 2007, 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

How is the system going to be dead? I don't get that. It has sold 17 million units since it's release.  The 360 has sold 10 million, is that system almost dead to? There are plenty of great games out there but I won't try to convince you.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's going to die at all.  Rather, it seems to be coming into its own.

I don't think it will ever outdo the DS, but I think it will grow to be a good system with some quality games.  I think the only problem is that those games are as high-end as home systems, which always  leaves developers with the temptation to capitalize on those games by releasing home console versions as well.  I am willing to bet that "Silent Hill 0rigins" will eventually go to home console, for instance.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 2nd, 2007, 7:41 pm

if the PSP is going to make a real impact, sony really needs to redesign the hardware yesterday.

Return to “Review Feedback”