2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 6th, 2019, 7:48 pm

First, I did mean to say Iron Maiden, and I fixed that.

Also, went back to check Slain to see if there was an option to use digital control.
Nope, because the directional pad selects your weapon.
The thing is, the right thumbstick already does that! Pretty bogus.

Retro STrife

Re: 2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Postby Retro STrife » January 7th, 2019, 9:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I wonder how many reviewers who trashed this game have never played classic side-scrollers?
Those games were hard, but you kept plugging away!

The reviews are all over the map on this game. There isn't a big sample size, but the PS4 version averages around 67% while the Switch version is around 45%. Frustrating gameplay is a much bigger complaint on the Switch version. Is it due to differences between the two games? Or are Switch gamers just wussier? Tough to say. Velcrozombie noted that the game may have received some patches, which explains why it plays better than the reviews suggest. Not sure if that's true, but if so, bravo to them for fixing it.

As for saying that reviewers can't handle the old-school difficulty... I don't know if that's true. Games like Dark Souls and Celeste have been well reviewed over the years, despite tough-as-nails gameplay. Celeste is an indie game and 2D platformer too, and much harder than Slain, and it reviews at over 90%. Thankfully, Slain does have infinite lives, which is the only reason it's playable. I hate difficult old NES games where you get 3 lives, restart at the beginning, and can never beat the game... Ain't nobody got time for that these days.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I want to hear from someone who's actually played this to confirm I'm not crazy.

I took up the torch and played 2 hours or so of this so far. I finished the first area, reached the hub world, and played about half of the Highlands world. Beforehand, I fully expected to side with the reviewers and come back with "Critic, you're losing it, this game sucks"... but guess what? This game is awesome and I fully support the B rating. I won't say that it's objectively better than Celeste, but I will say this -- I personally like it more than Celeste, no matter how much critics want to rave about that game. (Yes, they're not in the exact same genre, but similar enough to compare the fun factor.) Slain is tough, you'll die a lot, and sometimes I wish the checkpoints were closer, but so far I'm really liking it and plan to keep playing. The music, graphics, and combat system are all spot on. Thanks for reviewing the game or I would have missed it.

Return to “Review Feedback”