2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

I wasn't expecting much from this one, but I got a lot! Comments please!

red_curry_paste

Re: 2019/1/3: Nintendo Switch: Slain: Back From Hell

Postby red_curry_paste » January 4th, 2019, 8:39 am

Currently 2.99 on the Playstation store, but there's a bit of a discrepancy between the Critic and reader scores. Would love to hear some other folks' thoughts.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm

I bought this one this week, based on the Critic's positive review, and because the download is on sale for $3 on the PS4. The game hasn't reviewed well -- it's currently averaging a 67% out of 100, according to GameRankings.com. But the unique premise and low price tag was enough for me to give it a shot. I haven't played it yet, but I'm interested to see if I side more with the VGC or the other critics on this one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I wonder how many reviewers who trashed this game have never played classic side-scrollers?
Those games were hard, but you kept plugging away!

Today's games tend to walk you through the motions, resetting you immediately where you died.

I want to hear from someone who's actually played this to confirm I'm not crazy.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 5th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Bought the game for about $3 during the recent Steam sale and played through the first level so far, which took about 40-45 minutes. I haven't poured a ton of time into the game - I'm playing a different game each night to try and make a dent in my backlog - but I'd personally give it a B at this point. Love the visual design and music, the combat is fairly simple but it's well-balanced so far. I don't feel the game is excessively challenging - all you have to do is make it to the next checkpoint and your life and magic are refilled and the checkpoints are spaced out at what feels like a reasonable distance. I skimmed the reviews on Metacritic and it looks like the Switch got an inferior version that has since been patched and brought up to a similar level with the other releases, something that hasn't been reflected in the review scores - the PC reviews are much closer to your own experience.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 6th, 2019, 1:31 am

Can anybody give me a good answer as to why a game like this would FORCE you to use the analog stick? Even with the pro-controller? What is that all about? And for that matter, can anybody give me a good reason why EVERY GAME EVER MADE doesn't have an option to completely customize your controls, especially these days, and especially a game like this, a game that is meant to hearken back to the days when we only had a digital pad? I played through the first level but I was honestly so miffed that I was being forced to use the analog stick that I haven't gotten back to the game.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » January 6th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:Can anybody give me a good answer as to why a game like this would FORCE you to use the analog stick?

That's odd that the Switch version forces you to use the analog stick. In the PS4 version you can go into the option menu and change control to the d pad.

I would probably give Slain a B grade too, but I would say it's definitely not for everyone. If you're like me and grew up with games like Castlevania, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, etc, you would probably like it. But if you grew up with games from the the 3D era, you probably won't.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 6th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I think you meant to say "Iron Maiden" album cover, not "Iron Maid." Then again, maybe there is a metal band I don't know about by that name.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 6th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I don't get the bad reviews , yes this game is hard , but so were the other games in this style back in the day , but this is well done and I definetly like it

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I wonder how many reviewers who trashed this game have never played classic side-scrollers?
Those games were hard, but you kept plugging away!

Today's games tend to walk you through the motions, resetting you immediately where you died.

I want to hear from someone who's actually played this to confirm I'm not crazy.

You're not crazy. Now go replay Bloodborne and give it the A+ it deserves :)

Return to “Review Feedback”