2019/3/26: Playstation 4: God of War

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sut

Re: 2019/3/26: Playstation 4: God of War

Postby Sut » March 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Every generation there is group then moan that this is the worst generation. It’s a nonsense narrative there are some great games this generation like the generations before it.

I think some people focus too much on the ‘AAA’ titles there is another tier of titles (albeit mostly digital these days) where there are lots of ‘traditional’ games.

But digital is an hard sell round these parts.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 2:50 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:It because I am judging it based on critics reviews what games from the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U have gotten regular B or higher and what games have hit the A range not many. Just my two cents.

Conversely many online zines and metacritic indicate several current gen titles are highly revered. Plenty of A games out there. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a release in the past few weeks, most sources indicate it is an A game. Is it really an A game? For some yes, others, of course not...

While reviews serve their purpose, the person who ultimately counts in enjoying a game is the individual that purchases it. Opinions on matters that are highly subjective should be taken with a pinch of salt, you might agree, you might disagree with the review once you experience it yourself. Your personal experience need not rest on the shoulder of another...

To be frank when I look at the critics reviews for current gen on this site (PS4/Xbox One Wii U before being replaced with Switch.) It just looks like the critic is not crazy at all about this gen as it full of mediocrity. If the gen was so great their would have been more A grade games or higher or even regular B or higher as this point. This is quite possibly the critics lowest score gen bar none and not hard to see why based on the reviews alone.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 30th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Sut wrote:Every generation there is group then moan that this is the worst generation. It’s a nonsense narrative there are some great games this generation like the generations before it.

I think some people focus too much on the ‘AAA’ titles there is another tier of titles (albeit mostly digital these days) where there are lots of ‘traditional’ games.

But digital is an hard sell round these parts.

In terms of group then moan that this is the worst generation. This is the worst I have seen it to date. If you go on things like Reddit, Gamefaqs, YouTube, Facebook, etc. It becomes very reminstic to the recent political devide in recent years. (Not to be political, but an example.) And some groups like the PC Master Race sometimes get compared to the Tea Party Movement. ( I know not that extreme, but still.)

Am I missing something, or do I take Critics opinions too seriously?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 31st, 2019, 12:20 am

Sonicx9 wrote:To be frank when I look at the critics reviews for current gen on this site (PS4/Xbox One Wii U before being replaced with Switch.) It just looks like the critic is not crazy at all about this gen as it full of mediocrity. If the gen was so great their would have been more A grade games or higher or even regular B or higher as this point. This is quite possibly the critics lowest score gen bar none and not hard to see why based on the reviews alone.

This generation is an upgrade from the 7th generation rather than overhaul. In this context, with novelty perhaps the line that separates a B game from an A game, the 8th generation had been treading ground already well trodden by the time the PS3/Xbox 360 were retired from production.

Considering the here and now, this generation is probably the best yet, by a mile, but familiarity breeds contempt.

The step from the 7th generation to the 8th was one of eye candy yet game expansiveness or novelty did not greatly increase. The step from 6th to 7th generation was chasm-like, as has usually been the case for each generation. Big steps have been replaced by smaller steps.

The upcoming 9th generation is going to be a massive disappointment, rather than a leap over a mountain, it will be a small step to avoid standing on a dog turd. The hardware leap between 1080p and 4K is indeed huge but the way it translates onto the screen will not indicate that. We are hitting diminishing returns. How something looks on a screen will ultimately be called to judgement, not how many Tflops the hardware was performing to get us there.

Hardware difference between PS3 and PS4 was substantial, but despite the better looking graphics, Tomb Raider 2013 on the PS3 still played like Tomb Raider on the PS4. Sure, the PS3 release barely ran at 720p 30fps while the PS4 version ran at 1080p 60fps. Without splitting hairs, it was the same game but with different number of pixels and a smoother frame rate.

Developers have to think and act fast. Will the new generation stick or swim? Will they gladly forgo a boring old PS5 when their tablets have the appeal of novelty and their Macbooks/Laptops have the processing power to play console games? The 9th generation may be the last for consoles. There is only so much one can do with the concept of plugging a box into a TV and inserting a game disc.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 31st, 2019, 2:48 am

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:To be frank when I look at the critics reviews for current gen on this site (PS4/Xbox One Wii U before being replaced with Switch.) It just looks like the critic is not crazy at all about this gen as it full of mediocrity. If the gen was so great their would have been more A grade games or higher or even regular B or higher as this point. This is quite possibly the critics lowest score gen bar none and not hard to see why based on the reviews alone.

This generation is an upgrade from the 7th generation rather than overhaul. In this context, with novelty perhaps the line that separates a B game from an A game, the 8th generation had been treading ground already well trodden by the time the PS3/Xbox 360 were retired from production.

Considering the here and now, this generation is probably the best yet, by a mile, but familiarity breeds contempt.

The step from the 7th generation to the 8th was one of eye candy yet game expansiveness or novelty did not greatly increase. The step from 6th to 7th generation was chasm-like, as has usually been the case for each generation. Big steps have been replaced by smaller steps.

The upcoming 9th generation is going to be a massive disappointment, rather than a leap over a mountain, it will be a small step to avoid standing on a dog turd. The hardware leap between 1080p and 4K is indeed huge but the way it translates onto the screen will not indicate that. We are hitting diminishing returns. How something looks on a screen will ultimately be called to judgement, not how many Tflops the hardware was performing to get us there.

Hardware difference between PS3 and PS4 was substantial, but despite the better looking graphics, Tomb Raider 2013 on the PS3 still played like Tomb Raider on the PS4. Sure, the PS3 release barely ran at 720p 30fps while the PS4 version ran at 1080p 60fps. Without splitting hairs, it was the same game but with different number of pixels and a smoother frame rate.

Developers have to think and act fast. Will the new generation stick or swim? Will they gladly forgo a boring old PS5 when their tablets have the appeal of novelty and their Macbooks/Laptops have the processing power to play console games? The 9th generation may be the last for consoles. There is only so much one can do with the concept of plugging a box into a TV and inserting a game disc.

That is my problem the 8th gen was a small leap compared to the past as many games did not look that much better then the PS3/Xbox 360, this video says it best.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKXK1d7Jdu4

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 31st, 2019, 2:29 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:That is my problem the 8th gen was a small leap compared to the past as many games did not look that much better then the PS3/Xbox 360, this video says it best.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKXK1d7Jdu4

Just a recommendation, Sonic. No need to quote someone's entire post, only the specific part(s) you are planning to respond to. It takes up way too much space in the thread to have these repeating walls of text.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 31st, 2019, 4:18 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Just a recommendation, Sonic. No need to quote someone's entire post, only the specific part(s) you are planning to respond to. It takes up way too much space in the thread to have these repeating walls of text.

I will do it next time ok.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 1st, 2019, 7:06 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:All this review tells me is you are not a big fan of the PS4/8th gen in which I can not blame you considering how weak this gen is. And this review also shows why I take Nintendo Switch over PS4 ..... But the same can not be said about PS4/Xbox One/Wii U as that gen was very mediocre and lackluster and boy does it show.

It's funny to me that some people actually imagine the Switch as "next gen" rather than properly grouping it with the PS4 and Xbox One generation.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 1st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
It's funny to me that some people actually imagine the Switch as "next gen" rather than properly grouping it with the PS4 and Xbox One generation.

Debatable as it either part 8th gen, in my opinion the only console thatnis worth only beseds the 3DS/PS Vita, or 8.5 along with PS4 Pro/Xbox One X and even the New 3DS to a lesser degree as they upgraded over the precursors.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 1st, 2019, 7:46 pm

Retro STrife wrote:It's funny to me that some people actually imagine the Switch as "next gen" rather than properly grouping it with the PS4 and Xbox One generation.

Yeah, similar to Dreamcast which slotted between two gens. Dreamcast was way ahead of it's competition though when it was released, the Switch is not.

Return to “Review Feedback”