2019/3/29: Genesis: Puggsy, Coach K College Basketball

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/3/29: Genesis: Puggsy, Coach K College Basketball

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2019, 8:13 pm

New Genesis reviews! Coach K is an update (B+ -> A-)

Cafeman

Re: 2019/3/29: Genesis: Puggsy, Coach K College Basketball

Postby Cafeman » March 30th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Although I have always gotten much entertainment from the VGC F- grade, in my opinion Puggsy ain't that bad. It isn't all that exciting but it is something a bit different from the norm. Technically, it seems well made too.

How many people write these reviews? Other than the RPG correspondent reviews, I thought the VGC himself wrote and edited all the reviews. But if so, what's the point of purposely placing profanity in the review text but them edit it out replaced with "expletive" ?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Cafeman -
It's my writing. My reviews tend to be streams of consciousness but I am not going to allow bad words on the site. It's just a way to provide more emphasis without being profane. I've been writing like that since the beginning. You're just noticing?

I should also mention that Puggsy review was in progress for about five years! I alway thought that if I kept giving it a chance I would eventually start to like it. But after one last try (with friends) I determined there was no hope for this one.

I have no doubt there are people out there who like it, but I suspect more people will have my same reaction.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 1st, 2019, 5:05 pm

Nice timing on this NCAA game. I've been watching the tournament more than usual this year, mostly thanks to the hype for Duke and Zion Williamson, which came to an end this past weekend. I usually play NBA games, but Coach K sounds like I might give it a look - especially when you say it could be the best college basketball game ever.

bigladiesman

Postby bigladiesman » April 1st, 2019, 5:08 pm

First of all, thanks for letting me join in, and I hope it's fair game if I just take old threads and necropost a bit. However, it's not my goal to discuss the reviews, but to share feelings about the games themselves. It comes out as obvious, but in gaming, as with music, cinema, comics or literature, everybody is entitled to have an opinion about having to justify oneself.

Now, on to the first game...

I actually adore Puggsy (the game: the Critic is spot-on when it comes to the character itself. I mean, it's an alien pear with eyes :? ). I've had it for about 25 years and it always brings me back. It made me a Traveller's Tales fan: I'm still a sucker for their Lego games!

About why I like it, well, first and foremost for its slow pace and mechanics. Puggsy is one of those rare old games that manage to be actually soothing: except for the chase levels and the bosses, there's no time limit and one can spend his sweet time figuring the puzzles out. The crayon-like backgrounds and Matt Furniss's music help to create this feeling of calmness.
Secondly, the action :mrgreen: is full of secrets and self-referential jokes that have made it to many TT games. I love when games go so hilariously meta.

Its main weakness are the one-hit - and many times cheap - deaths. Then, there's the level layout and some of the puzzles: yes, it's a relaxing game, but after all these years, there have been levels I haven't been able to figure out. This is a good thing from my point of view, as it expands the experience, but it comes as no surprise that many gamers prefer to try new things instead to try and try and try again that very same, ridiculously short level for weeks.

Still, with its shortcomings, I still love this game, and it seems it's actually very popular between us Euro gamers.

Return to “Review Feedback”