2019/4/1: Xbox One: Sid Meier's Civilization: Flat Earth Edition

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ActRaiser

Re: 2019/4/1: Xbox One: Sid Meier's Civilization: Flat Earth Edition

Postby ActRaiser » April 2nd, 2019, 12:09 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:As a long-time reader who is an ACTUAL flat-Earther (yup, I'm nuts) this is my second favorite April-Fools review.

Is that a Mormon thing?

I used to have to fly to Utah occasionally for work. Nice people. Definitely, almost everyone was LDS. I got asked that as I checked into my hotel multiple times.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 2nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:As a long-time reader who is an ACTUAL flat-Earther (yup, I'm nuts)

Definitely not nuts, I have a friend who believes the world is flat and he works as an Engineer for Boeing. Smart guy and completely sane.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

A lot of work went into this review, so I put together a very entertaining behind-the-scenes article about it, complete with screenshots and moderator discussions. One rejected review idea was rated obscene, and another overtly sexist! Good times.

To read all the salacious details, be a Patreon supporter! For a buck a month you get access to a treasure trove of articles, and you'll help keep the site going!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/25833277

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 2nd, 2019, 9:30 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:As a long-time reader who is an ACTUAL flat-Earther (yup, I'm nuts)

Definitely not nuts, I have a friend who believes the world is flat and he works as an Engineer for Boeing. Smart guy and completely sane.

How does he think the planes he works on get to their destinations when their itineraries are determined according to a spherical surface? And planes are only a recent development in centuries of world travel built on coordinates that would completely fall apart on a flat Earth. There is no physical way for a flat Earth to accord with how people move around on it.

But believing idiocies isn't a matter of sanity; it's a matter of will.

David

Postby David » April 2nd, 2019, 11:00 pm

DrLitch wrote:

I hate to break this to you, but he probably isn’t as smart as you think...

Funny review, but man is it depressing to read that there are people that believe the Earth is flat.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 3rd, 2019, 8:44 am

Stalvern wrote:How does he think the planes he works on get to their destinations when their itineraries are determined according to a spherical surface? And planes are only a recent development in centuries of world travel built on coordinates that would completely fall apart on a flat Earth. There is no physical way for a flat Earth to accord with how people move around on it.

But believing idiocies isn't a matter of sanity; it's a matter of will.

No idea how he thinks Flat Earth works in practicality. Religion and Politics are topics I avoid discussing with people. His Flat Earth belief is highly correlated with his Religious viewpoint. So called God and his Ant Farm.

I do not go there, people believe in things, so be it... I have seen people in Whole Foods with crystals on a chain that purportedly tell them what fruit is good or bad depending which way it swings...... hard not to roll eyes, but not my place to tell people what they can and cannot believe in.

David wrote:
I hate to break this to you, but he probably isn’t as smart as you think...

Yeah it is subjective. Musing further will take us towards topics that are best not discussed. I will change the wording to: He is educated.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 3rd, 2019, 1:10 pm

DrLitch wrote:They believe Antarctica surrounds the Earth as an Ice Wall, much like the Wall in Game of Thrones that keeps the White Walkers out.

I'm struggling to understand this too. He apparently has faith in Antarctica's existence based on the accounts of people who have been there, but he refuses to accept their descriptions of its size and shape, only that it's cold and far away. Why even believe in Antarctica at that point?

(Not to mention that the part of the world south of the equator would be three times larger than the area north of it in this scenario, which again clearly can't be true given how people travel on it.)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 3rd, 2019, 3:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:I'm struggling to understand this too. He apparently has faith in Antarctica's existence based on the accounts of people who have been there, but he refuses to accept their descriptions of its size and shape, only that it's cold and far away. Why even believe in Antarctica at that point?
(Not to mention that the part of the world south of the equator would be three times larger than the area north of it in this scenario, which again clearly can't be true given how people travel on it.)

Antarctica and the conspiracy theory involving the military stopping people from going to the end of the world is one of the hard ones to defend - the concept that suggests a ring of 30000 odd miles is surrounded by an army of millions stopping would be travelers from reaching the edge of the world.

Flat Earth map is topological. The flight from London to New York are a straight line on a Flat Earth Map, the distance is a good approximation to the geodesic circle they use in navigation on a globe between these two points. The model is very good at least from perspective of distances between places (ignoring where things are such as Antarctica). It crashes when the Sun and Southern/Northern constellations get involved.

According to the model, the Sun is 3000 miles above the flat disc, 30 miles in diameter, and moves around a circular path (24 hours) that slowly drifts between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn to simulate the position of sun in the sky at certain times of the year. Issue is this: The angular size of the Sun in this model is indeed accurate at first glance, but given they hover a mere 3000 miles above the flat Earth, with the flat Earth diameter at least 10000 miles across, then the angular size of the Sun and Moon should drastically alter while they move. What we observe is not this - the Sun/Moon do not alter size irrespective of where in the sky they are. Furthermore, high school level Trigonometry can be applied to calculate the position of the Sun/Moon. At no point in the sky are they anywhere near the horizon (the closest they get is around 22 degrees by my calculation). Yet we observe the Sun and Moon setting. Just a couple of easily tested examples. Add to that the Sun never theoretically setting (perpetual daylight). Flat Earth proponents argue about "perspective", the concept that something vanishes in plain sight given a distant observation where both the sky and ground will move to eye level from your perspective (perspective is readily applied to the long corridor - the top bottom and walls converge at eye level if the corridor is long enough. The Sky and ground can be thought of as a very large corridor). In theory, it could be a fair observation provided the object size is diminutive enough to not be resolved by the human eye. As we established, the Sun/Moon do not change angular diameter and thus never reach the point of non-resolvability. Furthermore, you cannot stop propagation of light - light does not care about angular size - it is either bright enough to be resolved or not bright enough. A counterargument is "the sun and moon are spotlights, the light just moves out of view". This of course superimposes onto a previous issue established - that being the Sun and Moon therefore setting even higher than they already theoretically do.

Astronomer's would be correct to question why they cannot see the Big Dipper or Northern Cross in the Southern Hemisphere.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 3rd, 2019, 11:29 pm

Simply going to say the fact that your phone has GPS means the earth being flat is BS. Satellites don't work around a disk. (In fact, orbits don't work around a flat disk, period.)

Absolute fantastic work on the prank review, seriously well done.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 4th, 2019, 9:03 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:A lot of work went into this review, so I put together a very entertaining behind-the-scenes article about it, complete with screenshots and moderator discussions. One rejected review idea was rated obscene, and another overtly sexist! Good times.

To read all the salacious details, be a Patreon supporter! For a buck a month you get access to a treasure trove of articles, and you'll help keep the site going!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/25833277

I have to admit that Egg Hunt idea that you received by email was pretty great.. it took me awhile to get it, until I read the last line. I kept reading it like "this is completely nonsensical" and then got to the last line, and had to go back and re-read the whole review. Then I was reading it like "this is genius" how he set up the joke at the end, but I understand why it was too obscene to be a viable option..

Return to “Review Feedback”