2019/4/1: Xbox One: Sid Meier's Civilization: Flat Earth Edition

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
matmico399

Re: 2019/4/1: Xbox One: Sid Meier's Civilization: Flat Earth Edition

Postby matmico399 » April 1st, 2019, 11:25 am

On this day we always get a real treasure! :D

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 1st, 2019, 11:46 am

Yeah, this game is awesome. It even has tidbits on quotes from Lyndon B. Johnson.

Control of space means control of the world. From space, the masters of infinity would have the power to control the earth's weather, to cause drought and flood, to change the tides and raise the levels of the sea, to divert the gulf stream and change temperate climates to frigid. There is something more important than the ultimate weapon. And that's the ultimate position. The position of total control over the Earth that lies somewhere in outer space.
—Lyndon B. Johnson, Statement on Status of Nation's Defense and Race for Space, January 7, 1958

One month later, Lyndon Johnson and the Senate Special Committee on Space and Astronautics drafted a resolution to change the name of the US Army's Ballistic Missile Arsenal to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

NASA's early rocket research is well documented to have been a complete failure, plagued by one disaster after another. At some point, perhaps after the Apollo 1 disaster, it was decided to fake the space program outright and use rockets which only needed to fly into the air until they disappeared from sight. NASA went from nearly every launch being a failure to a near flawless track record, able to land man on the moon multiple times without error, and with only two public spectacles of failure in 45 years.

The earth is portrayed as round in NASA media because NASA thinks it's round. They are not running a real space program, so they wouldn't know what shape the earth truly takes. At the time of NASA's creation the general population already believed that the earth was round, based on the handed down teachings of the Ancient Greeks, which is why it was depicted in that manner. As with everyone else in the country, the people at NASA were taught the fiction of a globe earth from the cradle, so there was no doubt in their mind as how to display it.

I love that! It might all be bunk but it's still cool how the game gives you tidbits like that.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » April 1st, 2019, 11:55 am

Critic,
Do you know when it is being released? I tried to buy it or pre order it but there is no mention of it on the British MS site? Is this a US only release?
I also tried Amazon and nothing.

It looks so great, I must have it in my collection.

I like Gamer score and trophies. How easy was it to get them?

Thanks
GOT

sixam

Postby sixam » April 1st, 2019, 12:32 pm

Does the game map rest on the back of a giant turtle? And does that turtle rest on the back of an even bigger turtle? Is it really turtles all the way down?

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » April 1st, 2019, 1:03 pm

sixam wrote:Does the game map rest on the back of a giant turtle? And does that turtle rest on the back of an even bigger turtle? Is it really turtles all the way down?

That's partially right. It actually rests on the back of four elephants. The elephants, of course, rest on the back of a giant turtle which, in turns, rests of the back of a larger turtle and etc., etc.

Sadly, those blased round-earthers have prevented children from learning such basic science in school. It is a crying shame...

bigladiesman

Postby bigladiesman » April 1st, 2019, 5:10 pm

You really startled me this morning, VGC :lol:

Happy AF to those who celebrate it today (we celebrate it on December 28th).

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » April 1st, 2019, 6:18 pm

Ok ok guys I'm new!!! Tis funny though :D

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 1st, 2019, 7:43 pm

Well I do actually have a friend who believes in the Flat Earth. They believe Antarctica surrounds the Earth as an Ice Wall, much like the Wall in Game of Thrones that keeps the White Walkers out. Very nice guy actually, would give you the shirt on his back, just a fellow with an odd belief and watched too many Youtube videos.

GTS

Postby GTS » April 1st, 2019, 10:58 pm

I just downloaded the game, and one thing drove me nuts. Those invisible walls along the edge of the world. You know, the ones that keep all the water from rolling off the edge.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 2nd, 2019, 10:31 am

As a long-time reader who is an ACTUAL flat-Earther (yup, I'm nuts) this is my second favorite April-Fools review. Nothing will beat the screenshot of Bioshock on the 2600

Return to “Review Feedback”