2019/4/20: Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/4/20: Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

Who says the VGC doesn't review download only games? This one is a winner.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/4/20: Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight

Postby Sonicx9 » April 20th, 2019, 4:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Who says the VGC doesn't review download only games? This one is a winner.

Critic, because you love the game, you may want to get the physical version coming next month: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hollow-kni ... Id=6338790

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 20th, 2019, 7:36 pm

A+! I might actually have to get around to playing this.

bengalhoel

Postby bengalhoel » April 20th, 2019, 10:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Who says the VGC doesn't review download only games? This one is a winner.

Im so glad that you played Hollow Knight. I dont know what is happening with my game tastes, but triple A titles are just not doing it for me anymore and I wonder if I have Video Game burnout.

Then, a game like this comes along and I feel like a kid again. I honestly could play a good MetroidVania any day of the week, but dismissing this as a clone is doing it a disservice. This game has rocketed into my top 10 game of all time. It has everything that a classic game needs to do, and does it almost perfectly. Secrets, side missions, alt boss battles etc..

I could nit pick a few things but it isnt worth it, just play this game. It is one of the best games of all time.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » April 20th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I have this downloaded on my Switch, but the dozens of other quality indies have distracted me from it. That said, I'll definitely revisit it thanks to this review.

Speaking of quality indies that are now on the Switch, I think it's safe to say Cuphead would also get a ton of praise if the VGC ever decided to give a shot.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 20th, 2019, 11:58 pm

I've been looking forward to this review for a while, and I'm actually a tad surprised to see the perfect score. Not because I don't think the game deserves it, but because I thought a couple of the issues I have with the game are known to be issues that you don't get over too easily. I've logged countless hours into this, and by FAR my lone, glaring, worth-mentioning issue is the scarcity of the fast-travel locations. As far as I can tell, this game dwarfs all other Metroid Vania titles in its scope and size, and I am at a point in the game where I have run out of any easily-accessible areas, and now am forced to travel all over this map at all the suspicious-looking spots, hoping for an opening of some kind, and it is absolutely killing the fun factor right now, and I've been at it for hours and hours. It seems like every fast-travel location is located at the edge of its area, far from almost everything I need to get to. Not a deal breaker, but it's getting to the point where I would probably give the game a regular A instead of an A+, based on this alone.

And you are absolutely correct about the slow start. To be honest, I kindof hated the feel of the game almost immediately, and after an hour of playing I put it aside and assumed I would never touch it again. Thankfully some talk about it in the message boards here piqued my curiosity and I logged in another hour or two, and finally I began to feel compelled to play. Now it's in my top ten, I'd say. Pretty amazing when you think about it. I may have never touched it again...

djc

Postby djc » April 21st, 2019, 8:34 am

Great review (as always). One small thing - at the bottom of the review where you put links to the game on the various other sites (e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc...) it says "Find X-Box Live Points at..."

Not sure if that is intentional or not.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 21st, 2019, 8:54 am

Great review. I downloaded this game last night and at $15 it's a steal. I am enjoying it but the map doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How do I know where the heck I am at on the map? Am I missing something. There doesn't seem to be anything on the map that marks my current location. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

brent

Postby brent » April 21st, 2019, 9:07 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Great review. I downloaded this game last night and at $15 it's a steal. I am enjoying it but the map doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How do I know where the heck I am at on the map? Am I missing something. There doesn't seem to be anything on the map that marks my current location. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome to Hallownest! You're going to want to find the Wayward Compass charm in one of the shops in Dirtmouth. For most of the game, this is a must have charm to keep equipped. I typically only removed it when I needed the notches (your budget for using charms) for boss fights or near the end when I had the world nearly memorized.

While you're up there and charm shopping, if you have the geo (currency) make sure to pick up Gathering Swarm. It ensures that the geo simply flies to you.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 21st, 2019, 9:45 am

djc wrote:Great review (as always). One small thing - at the bottom of the review where you put links to the game on the various other sites (e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc...) it says "Find X-Box Live Points at..."

Not sure if that is intentional or not.

Originally my program would stick this in, because Xbox Live points were what you needed to download games. Now that's not the case. I don't know what link I could use. Guess I'll just omit it?

Return to “Review Feedback”