2019/4/20: Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sturmgeist1989

Re: 2019/4/20: Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight

Postby Sturmgeist1989 » May 31st, 2019, 10:33 am

You know, this game IS a slow burner. My first play through ended rather aruptly when I just sort of lost interest. However, once I gave it another shot, I fell in love. I love the idea that the characters are insects in a subterranean, gothic wonderland that's at once desolate, lonely, and somehow wonderfully welcoming. It's like listening to a Joy Division album from start to finish. Definitely not for everyone, but if you are fascinated by the deep dark corners of the mind (but not TOO dark), give it a go!!!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 31st, 2019, 11:17 am

Just a reminder that the physical version of Hollow Knight is now available at Best Buy. I'll be picking up my copy later today.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2019, 12:49 pm

So I used a Best Buy gift card to pick up a physical copy of Hollow Knight. It's a such a great game, I think it's worth owning.

Anyway glad I did because it contains a small map and a nice glossy (albeit small) instruction manual. This would have been nice for me to have when I started playing, as I had to figure everything out myself!

So if you're in the market for this game, I'd advise picking up a physical copy now that it's available. I've removed the download-only icon from the review.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 10th, 2019, 3:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I used a Best Buy gift card to pick up a physical copy of Hollow Knight. It's a such a great game, I think it's worth owning.

Anyway glad I did because it contains a small map and a nice glossy (albeit small) instruction manual. This would have been nice for me to have when I started playing, as I had to figure everything out myself!

So if you're in the market for this game, I'd advise picking up a physical copy now that it's available. I've removed the download-only icon from the review.

Critic, in case your not aware some early Switch physical versions had to be recalled as it did not have all DLC and patches, and if you are having issues you can replace it for free from Fangamer. More info here: https://amp.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... _physical/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Looks to me that this only concerns people who ordered directly from fangamer.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 10th, 2019, 4:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Looks to me that this only concerns people who ordered directly from fangamer.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

What version does your copy say when put into the system, the latest version is 1.4.3.2 or is it later patch update. And one way to tell is delete the digital version put the cart into console and try selecting update to see if you have the complete version on cart. If it incomplete it should have 1.7 GB download, if it has no update it should be fine and another way to tell if you have the Godmaster DLC selectable in the game. If you can bw transparent on that info because you got your copy in August a few months after the Switch physical launch let us know?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Update: For people like the critic and others want to know what Switch version of Hollow Knight has everything on cart Corrected version with all DLC actually on the cart now available from Fangamer (original cart's back etching is AKLHA22A000, new one is AKLHA22A001) If critic and others have AKLHA22A001 on the back of the Switch cart they are good, if they have AKLHA22A000 they need to contact Fangamer about the issue to replace it.

Reddit info: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... available/

Fangamer info: https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindli ... placements

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Well I got the old version, so I guess I need to send it back. What a pain in the ass!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2019, 1:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well I got the old version, so I guess I need to send it back. What a pain in the ass!

How are you sending it back by fangamer or BestBuy?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm

Well, I've finally jumped on the Hollow Knight wagon. Bought it for the PS4 and have been playing it the past couple months. I've been a fan of Metroidvania games since Castlevania SOTN, so you guys piqued my interest with the rave reviews. I mean, the Critic gave it an A+ and a couple guys called it their new all-time favorite game.. pretty high praise. If not for that, this game would have totally passed me by.

Anyway, I'm 25+ hours into the game and can tell it's easily a 60+ hour game if I really want to be my usual completionist self. I could play this game casually for hours on end, even if sometimes I feel like I'm not even accomplishing anything except wandering around. If it has a drawback, the biggest for me is the length. No I'm not bored yet, but I suspect that I will be before the game is finished. And I'm hoping the story picks up toward the end. So far the characters and setting are interesting, but I haven't seen much story yet, and I'm hoping it pays off as I progress.

I think the Critic's review is on point, and re-reading it just now made me better appreciate all the little details the developers put into this game. Barring some unforeseen event, I don't think Hollow Knight will replace Castlevania SOTN as my favorite Metroidvania, but it's been a really good game so far and I'm glad everyone here mentioned it.

Return to “Review Feedback”