Best Sports Video Games of All Time!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best Sports Video Games of All Time!

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2019, 7:04 pm

This is it! Let me know what you think. You're allowed to disagree!

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/them ... sports.htm

brent

Re: Best Sports Video Games of All Time!

Postby brent » May 14th, 2019, 7:13 pm

It's a wild world when world of outlaws is the only game (or honorable mention) released in the last 10 years on the list (super pro tennis for intellivision doesn't count)!

Why have sports games gotten so bad?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2019, 9:17 pm

It's a good question Brent. I suspect that in order to justify being on the latest systems the publishers feel the need for maximum realism, resulting in maximum bloat and tediousness!

A good sports game should not require you to complete an one-hour tutorial first!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Why did you include horse racing and auto racing, but no motor racing? (Not that I'm especially fond of that, I'm just wondering).
And athletics? (Or does Track & Field does the deal for that?) And didn't you also review many skiing, snowboarding, skating, wrestling, swimming and chess games? Where are they? Aren't those proper sports, but bowling is?

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 15th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out a sports game?

jon

Postby jon » May 15th, 2019, 3:57 pm

I like the list and think it is very accurate. Some of these are almost impossible to choose between one of two games. The best sims like College Hoops 2k8 got represented and was the highest rated realistically for a realistic game. Football is impossible between Tecmo Super Bowl and 2k5

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

mbd36 wrote:Is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out a sports game?

Oh wow I totally forgot about the Punch Out series! A few adjustments may be necessary! Thanks.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 15th, 2019, 7:53 pm

mbd36 wrote:Is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out a sports game?

Good question. You could make the case that it's not an actual sports game but instead a boxing-themed puzzle game.

red_curry_paste

Postby red_curry_paste » May 16th, 2019, 9:05 am

I remember reading a retrospective a while ago about NFL 2K5. The gist of the article was that, despite its age, we'll always love it not necessarily for the quality of the game itself, but because of what it represents - a time before the Madden-opoly. Sentimentality can distort our memory.

That said, it's nonetheless a stellar football title (and gets more play time than any other football game in my library).

Also, Ben Watson just re-signed with the Pats fifteen years after we drafted him, so now the in-game roster is a little more accurate!!

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 16th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, NHL '94 is an awesome game for both the SNES and Genesis. But for me, my favorites will always be NHL '96 and NHLPA Hockey for the Genesis. '96 because of the vast amount of options you have at your disposal ( ie; full season mode, full stats, create a player feature and trades) and NHLPA because of the fights and the crowd meter. And to me, it's just a little more fun to play than '94 because of that..

Return to “Review Feedback”