2019/5/30: Game Boy: Super Mario Land, Duck Tales

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/5/30: Game Boy: Super Mario Land, Duck Tales

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2019, 7:37 pm

You wanted Game Boy reviews and you got em. Let me know what you think.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/5/30: Game Boy: Super Mario Land, Duck Tales

Postby Sonicx9 » May 30th, 2019, 8:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:You wanted Game Boy reviews and you got em. Let me know what you think.

Great reviews, and for Ducktales case, man back in the black and white Game Boy days, many handheld ports where gimped compared to the bigger console brothers and it shows with the huge review score difference between the NES original and the water down Game Boy release. The only thing I hope someday that Capcom ports Ducktales Remastered on Switch along with The Disney Afternoon Collection so the full fat console experience can be fuelled on the go.

sixam

Postby sixam » May 30th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Super Mario Bros.(NES) should be 1985, not 1995.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 30th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I always thought SML on the gameboy was a classic and good to see your review reaffirms that.

djc

Postby djc » May 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I always liked how Super Mario Land was presented in the same graphical style as the original Super Mario Bros. yet Super Mario Land 2 looks more like the SNES Super Mario World. Shows just how powerful the Gameboy really was once the developers learned how to better utilize the capabilities of the system.

I have fond memories of playing SML on my Gameboy and still have my original cart (as well as my original Gameboy). It's even more impressive that the game (when played on a Gameboy Color/Advance/SP) had pretty decent color support. Great forward thinking by Nintendo on that one.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 30th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Sorry, but SML getting an A+ is simply shortsighted, and I always thought the game was a little cruddy after coming back to it in 2005 for the first time in 15 years. The controls are unresponsive, no matter what system you play it on. The stages are poorly designed, with questionable placement of certain items. The shooting stages are kind of fun, but there's only 2. 2 stages that feel like second-rate Sqoon levels aren't going to win any awards in the objectivity camp. The game feels thrown together. Sure, in 1989 it was probably the best portable platformer, but it's quite obvious it's not well designed in the least. The only thing it has is personality, as the music is very lively and takes you back to it's era. I loved the game when I first played it in 1989, and for a year it followed me EVERYWHERE. But being able to play far better platformers on the same platform now, it's quite obvious there are major hiccups. The fact that Ducktales, which is FAR more playable than SML, got a lower score is a crime. If the game is the best portable platformer you've ever played, I'd suggest actually playing another portable platformer again.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Yeah, the A+ for Super Mario Land seems a tad overblown. It's a perfectly competent game, but just about every subsequent portable Mario platformer blows it out of the water. I recommend the sequel Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins as well as the main four Wario Land games (the first of which is confusingly called Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3), which in my opinion have aged better and are more sophisticated.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 30th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Not typos per se but errors in wording: In the Super Mario Land review, "a run for the money" should be "a run for their money", and in the DuckTales review, "the quality of the stages are uneven" should be "the quality of the stages is uneven".

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 30th, 2019, 10:39 pm

You know, maybe an A+ is pushing it, especially given how great Wario Land the the later Super Mario Lands are on the Gameboy, but it is still an A game. Maybe not A+, but certainly an A or A-. I feel it still holds up today.

/Have no clue what happened to my gameboy and gameboy collection. I swear my mom snuck it out of the house or something.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 31st, 2019, 6:11 am

This was a pleasant surprise. Most controversial opinions on the internet lean towards the negative.

And it's good to see Super Mario Land finally getting its due, instead of being bashed by people who confuse the offbeat minimalist charms with poor design. It's just long enough to be a breath of fresh air. I've always enjoyed it more than its prettier and more in-depth sequel, where far too much time is spent in the air, with not much to actually do up there.

I still wouldn't give it an A+, but seeing you enjoy it that much made my day.

I can't wait to see what you make of the other Gameboy classics.

Return to “Review Feedback”