2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Let's hear what you have to say about these two new Wii U reviews.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Postby Sonicx9 » July 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's hear what you have to say about these two new Wii U reviews.

Good reviews,

For Shovel Knight case you may want to consider reviewing the 3DS version for some of the exclusive content: https://shovelknight.fandom.com/wiki/Ve ... ntendo_3DS, their is also a rare limited physical PS Vita version sold from Fangamer that now goes fo heavy prices online. But it basically the handheld version of the PS3/PS4 versions and given you played the PS4 version, it more of a collectors item. But one thing worth mentioning is the Switch version is getting a physical release under the Treasure Trove name that includes all of the DLC expansions up to that point. So maybe reviewing that version would not be a bad idea when it comes out as it been delayed a lot.

As for Rodea the Sky Soldier, not a fan, played the Wii U and 3DS versions at Anime Expo 2015 and not impressed like you. In fact I have the Wii U version just for the Wii version. But even that version I was not impressed. Played it with a friend and had trouble with the controles. Would be nice if a Switch port came with improved controls, but given the game was flop it highly unlikely to happen. Also critic are you going to review the Wii version as a seperate review or no? And BTW the Wii U version is a HD port of the 3DS version which is why it looks like a HD Wii game critic.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 14th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Shovel Knight was a fantastic game, A- is fair. I also played this on the WiiU.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » July 14th, 2019, 10:54 pm

I'd honestly love to see a review of the wii version, especially since the game was meant for the system to begin with. See how better it'd play than the Wii U counterpart. Not sure if it's worth it though since it's just an unfinished game bundled with the box iirc.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 14th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Crummylion wrote:I'd honestly love to see a review of the wii version, especially since the game was meant for the system to begin with. See how better it'd play than the Wii U counterpart. Not sure if it's worth it though since it's just an unfinished game bundled with the box iirc.

Same thing as it different and better supposedly?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 15th, 2019, 1:19 am

The Wii version is a completely different game.

I bought Rodea back when it was first released, mainly for the Wii version. Supposedly, the Wii version was finished years prior to the release of the Wii / Wii U combo pack, but the publisher feared the game would flop as it was releasing too late into the Wii lifecycle. They insisted the release be delayed and re-worked into a 3DS and Wii U game, which is the game The Critic just reviewed.

The Wii version is pretty fun. I didn't play it all the way through, as the difficulty spikes quickly and, to me, the game just wasn't worth the effort to finish. Still, it reminded me a lot of Nights on the Saturn, and the motion controls worked well, with catchy music, good voice acting, and colorful graphics rounding out the package. Not the best game ever, but a fun one. Would have made for a perfect weekend rental back in the day.

Yes, the Wii U version stinks, and as Sonic pointed out, it's more or less a home console port of a rush-job 3DS game. Give the Wii version a try, though, and you'll find a quality title that is worth a quick play session, at the very least.

Here's hoping for a review of the Wii version!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 15th, 2019, 3:01 am

I don't own a Wii U, but I bought Rodea the Sky Soldier just to play the Wii version. It even has a reversable cover so it looks like a Wii game on the shelves! So I don't know about the Wii U version, but I enjoyed the Wii version quite a bit. I thought it was closer to Nights (Saturn) than the Wii Nights sequel. I recommend you to give the Wii version a try!

As for Shovel Knight, that's just one of my favorite games of all time. Your review is to the point, though I miss that you mention the progress in upgrades the knights acquires that make the game quite a lot easier.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 15th, 2019, 3:03 am

Crummylion wrote:Not sure if it's worth it though since it's just an unfinished game bundled with the box iirc.

I don't agree. I played through the entire Wii game and the product is completely finished and works fine. If I only could beat that final boss...

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 15th, 2019, 8:15 am

Games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge could use a "Retro" icon, as the proper use of the term.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 15th, 2019, 9:56 am

When I picked up a Vita again recently, I was very pleased (and shocked) that my digital copy from 2+ years ago was grandfathered in to the free updates that included all of the patch DLC/extra modes. One of the best indie games right up there with Axiom Verge and Shantae.

Return to “Review Feedback”