2019/8/28: Genesis: Shadow of the Beast, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/8/28: Genesis: Shadow of the Beast, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Let's hear your thoughts on these new Genesis reviews.

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2019/8/28: Genesis: Shadow of the Beast, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 28th, 2019, 7:21 pm

You are right on the money about Sotb. Style over substance. Looked fantastic back in the day. Played so badly.

I had not seen the other game.

goldenband

Re: 2019/8/28: Genesis: Shadow of the Beast, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure

Postby goldenband » August 28th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I loved Shadow of the Beast and got onto its wavelength quickly, but I can't blame anyone for not liking it. It's definitely a computer-style game for a player who likes a certain kind of challenge and doesn't mind tearing their hair out a bit.

I wonder what the Critic will think of Fatal Rewind when the time comes? :twisted: The Japanese version, released as The Killing Game Show, might be more palatable since it has an easy mode with unlimited continues.

Come to think of it, there's also a unique Japanese version of SOTB for the Mega Drive as well, with difficulty options not present in the US version. It also runs at the right speed -- the Genesis/NTSC-U version famously runs too fast because it wasn't optimized for the 50Hz > 60Hz transition, though I personally didn't mind the increased speed.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 28th, 2019, 9:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's hear your thoughts on these new Genesis reviews.

Good review of Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure. I had that as a kid when I got my Sega Genesis system. It was also one of my early memories of owning a Konami title as well. And if you want to see more like this, you should review Tiny Toon Adventures (NES), Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (Game Boy), Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland (NES), Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES and my favorite one of the bunch, heck I have it on my modded SNES Classic system as that game is basically abandonware at this point.) and Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Montana's Movie Madness (Game Boy). I did not list Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop (NES), Wacky Sports Challenge (SNES and Game Boy different games with the same name.) and ACME All-Stars (Genesis) as those are non-platformer ones and non-Konami made ones as the best ones are all the Konami platformer ones.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 28th, 2019, 10:00 pm

goldenband wrote:I wonder what the Critic will think of Fatal Rewind when the time comes? :twisted: The Japanese version, released as The Killing Game Show, might be more palatable since it has an easy mode with unlimited continues.

Fatal Rewind was about as fun as ramming your head into a wall... rewinding.... ramming your head into a wall... rewinding (see what I'm doing here?).

This may have been the only Genesis game I owned that I just couldn't bring myself to get into.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 29th, 2019, 4:54 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's hear your thoughts on these new Genesis reviews.

I had an Amiga when Shadow Of The Beast came out and all the magazines at the time were making such a big deal out of it and I couldn't understand why..I mean the graphics were good but I didn't care much at all for the gameplay

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 29th, 2019, 8:24 am

Shadow of the Beast as a franchise is known more as a pure Style over Substance, with graphics (and music) being the main draws over gameplay. Psygnosis would eventually move on to making games that combined both graphics and music with the element of game play to make worthy games.

Sadly, this fact doesn't change the fact that SotB on any platform plays out as an exercise in pain. Far from the worst game I can think of (HEAVY NOVA), but not one that I plan to play or revisit any time soon...

For Tiny Toons, stock licensed platformer is stock platformer. There are less fun games that feature this franchise (mostly late 1990 releases), but not as enjoyable as the Game Boy or SNES games. Still, better than, say, the Cheeto games...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 29th, 2019, 10:45 am

Shadow of the Beast had two sequels on its original Amiga platform. The second Beast game is even more of a poke in the eye than the first, but the third is actually pretty good. It's possible to actually figure things out (although you still need to be very careful to not screw yourself over) instead of just needing to know the entire "script" and follow it perfectly.

The visuals aren't so much influenced by H. R. Giger as by Roger Dean, who was a close Psygnosis collaborator (he designed their logo and supplied a lot of of their box art, including the art for this game). He's probably most famous for his album covers, especially for Yes. The sequels really double down on his imagery.

Last edited by Stalvern on August 29th, 2019, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 29th, 2019, 2:08 pm

MSR1701 wrote:For Tiny Toons, stock licensed platformer is stock platformer. There are less fun games that feature this franchise (mostly late 1990 releases), but not as enjoyable as the Game Boy or SNES games. Still, better than, say, the Cheeto games...

Critic should review the SNES/NES and Game Boy ones as they are all different games and maybe critic could see which one is the best, my vote is the SNES one.

Also I was smart adding the SNES Tiny Toons games on my modded SNES classic as they are now abandonware at this point.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 29th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:Fatal Rewind was about as fun as ramming your head into a wall... rewinding.... ramming your head into a wall... rewinding (see what I'm doing here?).

This may have been the only Genesis game I owned that I just couldn't bring myself to get into.

I beat it recently -- on Normal, anyway. It's punishingly difficult at first, but once you know what to do it's not too bad. However the harder difficulties just get stupid, since enemies take too many hits.

Funny thing is, it should really be called "Fatal Fast-Forward" since that's really what you're doing!

Return to “Review Feedback”