2019/9/22: Nintendo Switch: Horizon Chase Turbo, Dragon's Lair Trilogy

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2019/9/22: Nintendo Switch: Horizon Chase Turbo, Dragon's Lair Trilogy

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Couldn't disagree more with your review of the Dragon's Lair Trilogy.

First half of my objection: Is Dragon's Lair really as confusing as the other two games?

Because it just seems more intuitive than any other FMV game in that genre. Attack the tentacle in the moat. Swing on the ropes. Don't drink the suspicious bottle. Leap off the falling platform before it crashes. Leap to safe places on an electrified floor. Avoid the giant pool balls before crossing the street. Even without light up button overlays, I could usually get pretty far into this game.

At it's best, it's like an FMV version of Wario Ware, that somehow uses nearly every action fantasy NES trope ever made. Not too bad at all for an arcade game in 1983.

Second half of my objection: The other two games are just Simon Says for masochists. Even back then, we knew there was a sudden drop in quality.

Space Ace is so chaotic that you'll almost immediately die if you try to play it like Dragon's Lair, and survive if you completely ignore your enemies and follow orders that would get you killed anywhere else. Worst of all, Cinematronics knows this, and goes out of their way to bait you into making a mistake.

At least in Dragon's Lair, sometimes, it almost feels like I'm controlling Dirk. In Space Ace, it almost always felt like I'm controlled by a bad rhythm game.

And then there's Dragon's Lair II, which, as you noted, is unplayable. That doesn't do justice to how bad it is.

The most positive review I could find, from a man who restored an original arcade cabinet, ended like this:

(Loses all his lives on stage one.) "Maybe I was supposed to go down? Sometimes it's a little bit confusing." (Continues and dies on stage 1.) "All right, we'll try it one last time folks. No use to just abuse myself." (Continues and dies on stage 1.) "So there you go folks, that was the famous Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp. By the time you see this video, Dirk the Daring may have rolled out the door, to someone else's house."

- Joe's Classic Games.

Sure, I'm skipping over all the defeated sounds he made, and a few protests he didn't have enough willpower left to finish, but overall, I think he liked it. Most reactions to stage 1 were more like:

"What the f*** is that thing?!" "J**** C*****, how am I supposed to retain information right now?!"

- the Game Grumps.

The only way it doesn't disappoint, is if you're either already beaten into submission, or enjoy watching the suffering of others. Mind blowing visuals aside, for most gamers, isn't it the very definition of a Golden ET award winner?

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » September 23rd, 2019, 1:02 pm

I guess I would have expected Horizon Chase Turbo to receive around an average grade, due to being unspectacularly playing.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 23rd, 2019, 1:16 pm

Normally I don't feel too compelled to post in these review wrap-up posts. However, if my feedback does truly matter, then I want to be sure my voice gets heard!

I haven't played either of the games reviewed here. I my mind, Dragon's Lair is Dragon's Lair, no matter what system it's on or how it's dressed up for the modern age. It's never been a game for me. I know that it has fans (and more power to them!) but whenever a re-release comes along, it gets a pass from me 100 out of 100 times.

While I've also never played HCT, I have seen it compared to OutRun over and over again. Whenever I see screenshots or see it in motion, though, it doesn't really remind me of OutRun as much as it does Top Gear. As others on here have pointed out, Top Gear is this game's greatest influence, right down to using the same composer. That's all well and good. Never was the biggest Top Gear fan (though I did like the two Lotus games on the Sega Genesis, which were of course very similar) so I let HCT pass me right by. Besides, I already have OutRun in some capacity for at least four different consoles around the house, so if I need my fix, I can get it.

To go along with what others have said, I didn't think the language in the HCT review reflected its overall "F" rating, even though it was clear from the review that The Critic did not enjoy the game. That got me thinking for a bit, and made me wonder about something else I felt like I've noticed here on the VGC lately. Does anyone else feel like the's been a greater concentration of "F" or "D-" reviews this year than in years prior?

Granted, there have been some recent, outstanding positive reviews (OutRun 2006 getting the coveted "A+" comes to mind) and while I haven't actually taken a count of the overall reviews for this year or years prior, I just feel like I've seen a lot of games get poor scores here on the site lately. Maybe just a run of bad luck?

I feel for The Critic in cases like these. He has a steady job as well as family obligations, and gaming is a hobby that he truly enjoys. While I can't speak for him, for me personally, there't nothing worse than clawing your way through work and school, getting everything done around the house, and finally carving enough time out for yourself to enjoy something like a video game, only to have that game be no good. For me, it feels like I completely wasted me my time, taking what precious little time I have in a given day and spent it doing something lousy whereas I could have absolutely spent it doing something else that I know I would have enjoyed. I know that one of the perks of being a critic is that you can tell people what games to avoid, but it seems to me like The Critic here has had a bit of a run of bad luck lately, getting stuck with quite a few games that just haven't done it for him.

Is HCT really all that bad, bad enough to get an "F"? I'm not sure. I don't really care too much either way as, again, it's not really a game that I think I want to play, anyway. But again, I feel like the grade is more of a reflection of The Critic's overall experience, one of those cases where the game is "less than the sum of its parts." Yes, it might have some nice backgrounds or catchy music, but if it's no fun to play, then it kinda fails at the most important aspect of its existence as a video game.

As I've said on other posts, gaming is meant to be a fun hobby, and ideally our time spent playing video games should be enjoyed and valued. Nobody wants to be stuck playing a bad game. The main reason why I stick around this site is for the general positivity compared to plenty of other gaming websites out there. If I just want to read "reviews" of bad games where the reviewer goes on and on about how bad a game is, "This game suxxxxx and here's why, LOLZ," then I can get my kicks at dozens of other websites.

The last thing I ever want to see happen here on the VGC is for The Critic to intentionally review games that he knows ahead of time are generally understood to be awful. AVGN and countless others already have that base covered, thanks. While I don't think that has ever been the case on this site, it still bums me out whenever I see a game get a poor score on here. I don't enjoy reading bad reviews, but I appreciate the fact that someone is trying to steer me away from something that isn't worth my time. Even games that get a poor score on this site tend to have a pretty level-headed review to go along with them. As long as that continues to be the case around here, then The Critic will continue to get my "clicks."

In the meantime, Critic, here's hoping the rest of your gaming year is full of absolute gems. I think this site is better, and we're all better because of it, when we know that you're spending your time playing games that you enjoy.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

Stalvern wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:typo in Turbo.. half the time you do not even notice the cans until you have driven past them...

The gas cans. Not a typo.

No one drives past gas cans... it has to be gas guzzling cars? :)

Cataclysm

Postby Cataclysm » September 23rd, 2019, 6:43 pm

Horizon Chase Turbo is an example as to why no one on the Internet bothers with VGC's reviews and why no one talks about his site in game communities.

"The idea of having to collect 'gas can' icons just to maintain enough fuel to finish the race is idiotic."

And why is this?

"Half the time you don't even notice the cans until you've driven by them."

THEY ARE SHOWN ON YOUR MINIMAP. You're just making up criticisms because you are lazily reviewing a game you didn't play (or played so horribly it doesn't matter). The gas cans also make multiplayer more interesting. Not everyone can get them.

You did play multiplayer... right? Oh that's right, there is no mention of it there.You didn't even mention the game HAD multiplayer in your "review". Even if it was a game I'd hate, I'd still mention the multiplayer.

I'm not sure who says Horizon is like Outrun, I have heard no one say it is. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to these other reviews? It is definitely more like Top Gear or Pole Position. Is there something wrong with being like those games? You don't say. Apparently, the game is 'wrong' because it isn't like Outrun (but who said it was like Outrun?).

"Hitting other cars bumps you back and slows you down, making it very frustrating to pass on narrow roads."

No way! You get PUNISHED for running into other cars? HOW DARE THE GAME DO THIS! hahahahah

As far as the online criticism, I believe the game's options allow you to turn it off. The game is sold on physical cart after all.

Why does this game get an 'F'? While people have different tastes, the game is very smooth, has appropriate visuals and music, and there is a lot of content in it. The controls are very responsive. I guess if you hate Top Gear and Pole Position you'd hate this, but should a game get an F because it tries to be like classic racing games?

The only thing that gets an 'F' is the Critic who is being called out on his lazy writing. Even IGN is better than this.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 23rd, 2019, 7:58 pm

Cataclysm wrote:Horizon Chase Turbo is an example as to why no one on the Internet bothers with VGC's reviews and why no one talks about his site in game communities.

But they do. I've seen them. And we're here now, talking about them.

Yes, he's prone to wild bias. But he admits that. And he welcomes feedback. That personal touch in every one of his reviews, and the community built up around it, is why I come here.

You can make your points, without making it a personal attack on the critic himself.

Edit: Also, it's pretty clear what he thinks of Pole Position. Or at least, what he thinks of the sequel on the Atari 7800, where he's just as unreasonable, and wages war on braking. : p

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 23rd, 2019, 8:49 pm

Great feedback. I respect the opinions of all the people who took the time to respond. There is really no right or wrong in matters like these. Diverse opinion is a GOOD thing.

In my defense however I'd like to mention that particularly in the case of Horizon Chase Turbo, I reviewed this title with the help of SEVERAL of my friends who hail from various age groups, and they ALL echoed my sentiments.

My friend Brent recently went on an extended trip, taking his Switch with him. After that he reluctantly admitted it DOES matter how a game gracefully handles off-line mode.

Keep the feedback coming. I want everyone to have their say. I am known for being very harsh, partially as a response to all the "pushover" reviewers out there who are all-too-willing to overlook glaring shortcomings. But I realize I may not be typical and these forums are a great way to share alternate points of view.

PS: I don't care if "no one talks about his site in game communities". This isn't my job but it is my passion, and I have to stay true to myself.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 23rd, 2019, 10:01 pm

Verm3 wrote:I guess I would have expected Horizon Chase Turbo to receive around an average grade, due to being unspectacularly playing.

Based on the language in the review, I kind of feel like he may have given HCT either a "C-" or a "D+", however the constant nagging for it being offline (as he stated himself) was worth knocking off a letter grade or two just by itself. So it wasn't for that, I think the grade would have been better.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 24th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Cataclysm you were a total jerk. Just because someone doesn't agree with your game opinions you attack them personally. I don't know what your beef is, but that was a lack of class and very immature. It's a game review, get over it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 24th, 2019, 6:00 pm

I noticed someone mentioned "why not get online?"

Why should I capitulate? There's nothing on the box description that says you need to be online. Why should I go out of my way to let them off the hook? It's like me complaining about DLC, and somebody saying "why don't you just buy it?"

I think C64 Critic was right. It probably would have suffered a less harsh grade without all the interruptions.

But before you call ME lazy, consider the developers didn't test this game once offline. And if they did, they designed the game to piss off a certain group of players.

Finally, the Switch has already amassed an incredible library of top-tier titles. The bar is very high, giving games like this a very small margin of error. Get it right!

Return to “Review Feedback”