2019/9/28: Bally Astrocade: Artillery Duel, Pseudo-ku 2008

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband

Re: 2019/9/28: Bally Astrocade: Artillery Duel, Pseudo-ku 2008

Postby goldenband » September 30th, 2019, 3:59 pm

The other thing that helps, for me, is to set goals. I've never been that keen on solo gaming for high score, but participating in high score contests can be fun.

Old consoles sometimes excel at multiplayer gaming, too. Those 4-player paddle games on Atari 2600 can be really fun and have a low barrier to entry, for young and old. And these examples both point to a common thread: pre-crash gaming was, more often than not, meant to be a social activity, vs. the "solitary experience deep in an imaginary reality" offered by more recent platforms.

Finally, some pre-crash games do offer an exploratory world that can be beaten, like the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons games on Intellivision. Or Pitfall!, where the whole point is that it's a continuous 20-minute gauntlet of skill. There's nothing about Pitfall! that needs improving -- neither graphical tweaks nor anything else make any version better than the Atari 2600 version.

But basically, you have to be willing to accept the premises of that era of gaming. If you're going to spend the whole time annoyed that a game doesn't Mario-style physics or regular save points, it's sort of like going to a classical music concert and getting grumpy because there aren't enough aggressive drum beats or guitar shredding. :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:While I love reading about these old games and systems, I've tried some old CPU games on Emulation and have gotten a few of those atari flashback consoles in over the years and played them... and seriously power to you guys that can still play these titles, especially in their original form. I can have a hard time playing a 16 bit game that doesn't have save points, let alone an 8 bit game with incredibly long passwords. I feel a little spoiled by a lot of the modern conveniences, and traveling backwards that far in time is really, really hard for me.

I think playing for score is key for these oldies, since you're basically going to see all there in within the first 15 minutes. I have a high score binder, and when my friends come over the first thing they ask is "what's the high score" and they go after that. It makes all the difference, even if it's your own high score.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 1st, 2019, 11:38 am

That is essentially the issue there, and why I mainly gravitate to RPGs. I don't have a social gaming group that I can play and compete with. I would love that, but so far all my efforts haven't quite worked out. Even back then I mainly played dungeon crawlers, MUDs, and the like. But man... playing wizardry and someone levels up and loses more stats than they gain? Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.

And honestly without anyone around to enjoy these games with even the Flashback I brought home with 40 games on it bored me pretty quickly. And it had a lot of good games like pitfall, river raid, and asteroids. But I could never play it for longer than 10 or 20 minutes before I get frustrated with some aspect of it or just go, "ok, that's as far as I can get. Moving on."

Though there was an old 4 player arcade game where you had castles and cannons and shot each other, it had the rolling wheel controls, and my buds and I played the hell out of that at our local nickel city when I was growing up. So maybe it really is about the right game and environment. (Ok, long ramble done.)

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » October 1st, 2019, 3:32 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:That is essentially the issue there, and why I mainly gravitate to RPGs. I don't have a social gaming group that I can play and compete with. I would love that, but so far all my efforts haven't quite worked out. Even back then I mainly played dungeon crawlers, MUDs, and the like. But man... playing wizardry and someone levels up and loses more stats than they gain? Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.

And honestly without anyone around to enjoy these games with even the Flashback I brought home with 40 games on it bored me pretty quickly. And it had a lot of good games like pitfall, river raid, and asteroids. But I could never play it for longer than 10 or 20 minutes before I get frustrated with some aspect of it or just go, "ok, that's as far as I can get. Moving on."

Though there was an old 4 player arcade game where you had castles and cannons and shot each other, it had the rolling wheel controls, and my buds and I played the hell out of that at our local nickel city when I was growing up. So maybe it really is about the right game and environment. (Ok, long ramble done.)

are you talking about Rampart?

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 2nd, 2019, 1:02 am

I think it was Rampart, yes. That game was awesome with friends

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2019, 6:48 pm

Thanks for bringing up Rampart. Sounds like a good game to throw in next time I get the gang together.

Return to “Review Feedback”