2019/10/2: Super Nintendo: Power Instinct, Frogger

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/10/2: Super Nintendo: Power Instinct, Frogger

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Let me hear your thoughts on my latest SNES reviews.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/10/2: Super Nintendo: Power Instinct, Frogger

Postby Sonicx9 » October 2nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let me hear your thoughts on my latest SNES reviews.

Good reviews, and yes SNES Frogger is an interesting example of same name different game version back when console differences where obvious, also one of the last licensed North America SNES game as the game has a regulare E rating not K-A rating like most ESRB rated SNES games save for certain player choice re-releases here and there. And certain T rated and dare we say 3 M rated SNES games and the 3 SNES games to be rated M or Doom and Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate 3.

For Power Instinct, it actually a big series in Japan called Gōketsuji Ichizoku which is a big creator oddball as it from Atlus (now owned by Sega) that a Fighting game not a RPG which Atlus is more famous for making and publishing. And considering that the series was big in Japan it flopped in the west which is why not many of the games got released in the west. Heck a Sega Genesis version of Power Instinct did get released but only in Japan due to the SNES game selling poorly and is a worse port due to Atlus having more experience with the SNES/Super Famicom then the Genesis/Mega Drive hardware. Also the Japanese Super Famicom version has endings that were removed in the US version sad face. More info on the series at HG101: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/power-instinct/ and the character designer Range Murata is a famous Anime character designer as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_Murata

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

I don't understand why Frogger lacks music unless it was released in an unfinished state. Quick cash grab.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 2nd, 2019, 11:28 pm

mbd36 wrote:I don't understand why Frogger lacks music unless it was released in an unfinished state. Quick cash grab.

Could be considering it was a late 1998 release around the time period SNES was about to retire and considering this game was produced very cheap and with minimal effort no surprise there.

jon

Postby jon » October 3rd, 2019, 3:57 am

This is kind of interesting about Power Instinct. Apparently, there were 5 games in this series, the last of which is a Neo Geo game Matrimelee, in 2003. I looked online, it's only going for about $500, MVS of course.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 3rd, 2019, 9:19 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Good reviews, and yes SNES Frogger is an interesting example of same name different game version back when console differences where obvious

What does the hardware have to do with the choice between releasing a straight port and a remake? They're completely different projects that could just as well have been released on either system.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:I don't understand why Frogger lacks music unless it was released in an unfinished state. Quick cash grab.

Could be considering it was a late 1998 release around the time period SNES was about to retire and considering this game was produced very cheap and with minimal effort no surprise there.

I was a little surprised to learn that there was a SNES port of Frogger. I'd never heard of it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

Stalvern wrote:What does the hardware have to do with the choice between releasing a straight port and a remake? They're completely different projects that could just as well have been released on either system.

I know I should have said thing differently, but still it interesting that the 1998 16 bit Frogger games had a different look and feel.

mbd36 wrote:
I was a little surprised to learn that there was a SNES port of Frogger. I'd never heard of it.

Not surprising considering it a late life release.

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

I always thought Power Instinct was underrated on SNES. I think it still holds up and is not too complicated. I feel like I need a PHD to play some of the modern fighters!

The SNES version of Frogger shows that updated graphics don't necessarily mean better graphics. Art design has a lot to do with it. For example, I like the style of Street Fighter II much more than Street Fighter V. The new character models in Street Fighter look goofy and generic. At least the current generation of Mortal Kombat's graphics look really good and follow the style of the originals. And, don't get me started on the latest King of Fighters!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 3rd, 2019, 11:15 pm

noah98 wrote:I always thought Power Instinct was underrated on SNES. I think it still holds up and is not too complicated. I feel like I need a PHD to play some of the modern fighters!

Keep in note that not all modern fighters are complicated, in fact I can name 3 modern fighters that are more accessible. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Switch, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid for everything under the sun including Google Stadia, and last years underrated indie crossover fighting game Blade Strangers Switch, PS4, PC and Arcades (god dang it I need to put out my long delayed Now Playing impressions for that game, it just between taking care of life stuff and other things here and there, it been delayed but hope to get it out before the end of this month.)

Heck this wiki is for more niche and accessible fighters: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Main_Page

Return to “Review Feedback”