2019/10/9: Playstation: Lucky Luke, Looney Tunes Racing

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/10/9: Playstation: Lucky Luke, Looney Tunes Racing

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 9th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Here' a pair of PS1 reviews for your reading enjoyment. Comments please!

goldenband

Re: 2019/10/9: Playstation: Lucky Luke, Looney Tunes Racing

Postby goldenband » October 9th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Fascinating that a Lucky Luke game came out in North America -- I had no idea, as most of them are European exclusives!

There's an interesting Lucky Luke game for CD-i that looks a lot more attractive than those PlayStation screenshots, though its playability is borderline at best. Really nice-looking game, though, all the more so given the system.

Haven't played the Lucky Luke games for SNES or Game Boy, though neither one has a great reputation.

As for Looney Tunes Racing, I played it a long time ago with my wife, and enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. Maybe I should fire it up again sometime soon?

Always glad to see original PlayStation reviews, especially for lesser-known games! There are so many interesting titles out there, like Rescue Copter, Tail of the Sun...and Flintstones Bedrock Bowling. :D If you want a quick review sometime you might try Beyblade: Let It Rip! (which is pathetic but can be beaten in an hour) or RC Helicopter (which is also kind of pathetic but has a low-budget charm).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here' a pair of PS1 reviews for your reading enjoyment. Comments please!

Critic you are not alone on Lucky Luke on PS1, others hate it as well: https://youtu.be/13nfj1RSANo?t=119

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 10th, 2019, 7:20 am

I never bothered checking out Looney Tunes back in the day as I thought it looked like a pathetic Mario Kart clone. I have a feeling that some critics at the time panned it but I could well be wrong. I will certainly check it out now. Looking at the screenshot the graphics look good. I like the simplistic cartoon aesthetic.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 10th, 2019, 7:25 am

Just thought I'd bring a typo to your attention. "LTR may Suppress CTR" should obviously have the word Surpass instead of supress! Thanks for the reviews!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 10th, 2019, 10:15 am

goldenband wrote:Fascinating that a Lucky Luke game came out in North America -- I had no idea, as most of them are European exclusives!

There's an interesting Lucky Luke game for CD-i that looks a lot more attractive than those PlayStation screenshots, though its playability is borderline at best. Really nice-looking game, though, all the more so given the system.

I was going to mention the same. I found this review really interesting too. Lucky Luke is a popular comic and cartoon series in Europe, but I had never heard of it in the U.S. until I came across the CD-i game a few years ago. (I think the CD-i game was a European exclusive though.) But, interesting to see that there was a PS1 game in the U.S. too. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems that Lucky Luke has had quite a few games, but only the PS1 and GBC got releases in the U.S.

Anyway, to check out the CD-i game, here's a video from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HDBQfMs2o

I also watched a video of the PS1 game, and it looks as bad as the VGC's review describes.

red_curry_paste

Postby red_curry_paste » October 10th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Lucky Luke is a pretty bad game, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. When I was nine, my dad told me if I made three shots in my upcoming in-town basketball league game, he'd buy me a new Playstation game. I made five, so nine-year-old me picked Lucky Luke as the rich reward.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 10th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Lucky Luke is a popular comic and cartoon series in Europe, but I had never heard of it in the U.S. until I came across the CD-i game a few years ago. (I think the CD-i game was a European exclusive though.) But, interesting to see that there was a PS1 game in the U.S. too. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems that Lucky Luke has had quite a few games, but only the PS1 and GBC got releases in the U.S.

Yes indeed, the CD-i version of Lucky Luke is a European exclusive, and I had to import it from the Netherlands. I don't remember if there were any PAL/NTSC issues with the screen getting cut off a bit, but if there were, it was still playable.

Lucky Luke is one of a few CD-i games -- all made by the same group of developers, the Vision Factory -- that are a bit harder to dump and burn because of quirks in their disc structure.

So games like Lucky Luke, Steel Machine, Accelerator, etc. haven't gotten a lot of coverage...which is a shame, because they're some of the slickest-looking CD-i games! Their playability is another matter...

And yeah, only the PS1 and GBC Lucky Luke games got released stateside AFAIK. I seem to remember reading that the SNES game (PAL exclusive) is absolute torture, but the GBC one got a couple positive reviews for its sense of humor.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 10th, 2019, 10:20 pm

goldenband wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Lucky Luke is a popular comic and cartoon series in Europe, but I had never heard of it in the U.S. until I came across the CD-i game a few years ago. (I think the CD-i game was a European exclusive though.) But, interesting to see that there was a PS1 game in the U.S. too. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems that Lucky Luke has had quite a few games, but only the PS1 and GBC got releases in the U.S.

Yes indeed, the CD-i version of Lucky Luke is a European exclusive, and I had to import it from the Netherlands. I don't remember if there were any PAL/NTSC issues with the screen getting cut off a bit, but if there were, it was still playable.

Lucky Luke is one of a few CD-i games -- all made by the same group of developers, the Vision Factory -- that are a bit harder to dump and burn because of quirks in their disc structure.

So games like Lucky Luke, Steel Machine, Accelerator, etc. haven't gotten a lot of coverage...which is a shame, because they're some of the slickest-looking CD-i games! Their playability is another matter...

And yeah, only the PS1 and GBC Lucky Luke games got released stateside AFAIK. I seem to remember reading that the SNES game (PAL exclusive) is absolute torture, but the GBC one got a couple positive reviews for its sense of humor.

The SNES Lucky Luke got a positive reception on Gamefaqs though. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/924623-lucky-luke

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 11th, 2019, 9:26 am

goldenband wrote:Lucky Luke is one of a few CD-i games -- all made by the same group of developers, the Vision Factory -- that are a bit harder to dump and burn because of quirks in their disc structure.

I'm always looking for an excuse to play some CD-i, so I might give this one a shot soon. I'm pretty sure I have it in my collection but haven't tried it before. It's one of those games that looked interesting when I saw it on ebay, but then never looked interesting enough on my shelf to actually play.

Return to “Review Feedback”