2019/10/9: Playstation: Lucky Luke, Looney Tunes Racing

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband

Re: 2019/10/9: Playstation: Lucky Luke, Looney Tunes Racing

Postby goldenband » October 11th, 2019, 2:20 pm

mbd36 wrote:The SNES Lucky Luke got a positive reception on Gamefaqs though. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/924623-lucky-luke

Interesting -- maybe I just happened to run across a review from someone who didn't like it?

Retro STrife wrote:I'm always looking for an excuse to play some CD-i, so I might give this one a shot soon. I'm pretty sure I have it in my collection but haven't tried it before. It's one of those games that looked interesting when I saw it on ebay, but then never looked interesting enough on my shelf to actually play.

It's definitely a distinctive and nice-looking game. As for playing it...well, I spent about an hour on it sometime in 2017, and I just remember saying to myself "Hoo boy, if I try to beat this one, I'm in for a long slog." But it's possible that I didn't fully understand the game.

I wish I could remember whether it displayed properly in NTSC mode; I have a PAL/NTSC converter and a CD-i that can do either one, so I may have tried it in both. That development studio has at least one game -- I think it's Golden Oldies 2 -- that doesn't work properly on NTSC systems.

(Speaking of CD-i games with PAL/NTSC issues, there's also De Zaak van Sam, a short but memorable FMV game in Dutch, with English subtitles that get cut off -- at least on my CRT -- unless you play it in PAL mode. I'd love for the Critic to review that one sometime as it's pretty amusing, but it's extremely rare!)

zetax

Postby zetax » October 12th, 2019, 12:00 am

Dave,

Typo/hyperlink error in the review. Looney Tunes Racing for the Dreamcast is referenced, you meant Looney Tunes Space Race (with corresponding link.)

VicViper

Postby VicViper » October 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm

mbd36 wrote:
goldenband wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Lucky Luke is a popular comic and cartoon series in Europe, but I had never heard of it in the U.S. until I came across the CD-i game a few years ago. (I think the CD-i game was a European exclusive though.) But, interesting to see that there was a PS1 game in the U.S. too. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems that Lucky Luke has had quite a few games, but only the PS1 and GBC got releases in the U.S.

Anyway, to check out the CD-i game, here's a video from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HDBQfMs2o

Yes indeed, the CD-i version of Lucky Luke is a European exclusive, and I had to import it from the Netherlands. I don't remember if there were any PAL/NTSC issues with the screen getting cut off a bit, but if there were, it was still playable.

Lucky Luke is one of a few CD-i games -- all made by the same group of developers, the Vision Factory -- that are a bit harder to dump and burn because of quirks in their disc structure.

So games like Lucky Luke, Steel Machine, Accelerator, etc. haven't gotten a lot of coverage...which is a shame, because they're some of the slickest-looking CD-i games! Their playability is another matter...

And yeah, only the PS1 and GBC Lucky Luke games got released stateside AFAIK. I seem to remember reading that the SNES game (PAL exclusive) is absolute torture, but the GBC one got a couple positive reviews for its sense of humor.

The SNES Lucky Luke got a positive reception on Gamefaqs though. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/924623-lucky-luke

Lucky Luke SNES is the same game as Lucky Luke Wanted on GBA, with the latter missing three levels, having a overhauled presentation, different soundtrack, and added minigames.

And frankly, it was pretty average. Okay at best.

Infogrames developed games of that era tended to either be extreme on the BS difficulty scale (you'd get hurt by basically anything on screen coloured slightly different), or just be decent in the best case scenario but forgettable. The Smurfs on NES and the 1995 Astérix & Obélix game on SNES & PC are the only ones I've played which are exceptions to that rule. In the worst case scenario... you get Fantasia on Genesis.

They got better by the PS1, Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf/Sheep Raider was legit one of the most unique games I've played as a kid. Shame it bombed. Hard. (120k sold)

RudeGravity

Postby RudeGravity » October 23rd, 2019, 5:49 am

I enjoyed the SNES version of Lucky Luke. Not great but above average. One of the better Infogrames SNES games (and much better than the CD-i game). I'm not familiar with the PSX game though.

Return to “Review Feedback”