2019/10/12: Nintendo Switch: Star Wars Pinball

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/10/12: Nintendo Switch: Star Wars Pinball

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 12th, 2019, 3:05 pm

This game caught me by surprise (didn't see it coming) but it immediately won me over.
This is the game of my dreams.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/10/12: Nintendo Switch: Star Wars Pinball

Postby Sonicx9 » October 12th, 2019, 3:53 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This game caught me by surprise (didn't see it coming) but it immediately won me over.
This is the game of my dreams.

It made better use of Star Wars then EA lol!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 12th, 2019, 8:58 pm

I'm surprised this one didn't get an A+ based on the review.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 12th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Definitely disappointed to hear that there's little in the way of the prequel trilogy that made it into this game. Episode I had an excellent real-world pinball machine that I remember being pretty cutting-edge for its time. Ate a lot of my quarters during its heyday at the arcade.

Of course, with Disney running the show, the prequels seem to have been almost entirely cut out of the SW canon. Now, they want you to focus on just their prequels, such as Solo and Rogue One. Eh, no thanks. Disney hasn't gotten any of my money since the Lucasfilm merger, and despite the quality of this game, they likely still won't. That's the best thing about this game having a physical release - if I do decide to pick it up, I can buy it used from a local shop, thereby making sure none of my gaming cash goes towards the big 'ol "Mouse Machine."

I would have totally eaten this up back in the day. Any game with a Lucasfilm license or a Lucasarts brand, I was all over. Shame things panned out they way they did, but hey, that's business. Multi-billion-dollar companies merge all the time. I get it. Doesn't mean I have to feel good about it.

That day that I heard about Disney buying Lucasfilm, it immediately made me think of the scene from the beginning of Last Crusade, "You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it." Disney's still making plenty of cash without me, and likely will for years to come. Good for them, I guess. The best thing I suppose I can say about it is that the SW license is still being put to use in some way or another, which is more than I can say for a lot of other film franchises I liked as a kid.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 13th, 2019, 1:27 am

It's sad that everyone blames Disney for Lucasfilm's creative decisions. And for the creative decisions of licensees. When they're not complaining about those creative decisions being different than their own personal headcanon. The desperation to simply hate modern Star Wars for any reason is just pathological, at this point.

And it's very familiar to anyone who remembers the original reaction to the prequels, before nostalgia and historical revisionism kicked in. Without the tie-ins to improve the experience, they'd still be passionately hated.

Still, hopefully we get some prequel love in a Star Wars Pinball 2. Or at least some expansion DLC. Pinball is perfect for some podracing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 13th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Only after Sonic pointed it out did I realize the extent to which EA has completely squandered their Star Wars license. I mean, a small independent company like Zen Studios can produce something as amazing as Star Wars pinball, imagine what great Star Wars games we could get if they released the licenses to everyone?

I'm actually surprised Star Wars Pinball got made at all, considering these horrible exclusivity agreements.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Dave, since you liked Star Wars Pinball so much, you might want to check out the collection of Marvel Pinball tables, also made by Zen Studios, which came out for PS4 / XB1:

https://www.estarland.com/product-descr ... ol-1/52441

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 13th, 2019, 6:40 pm

snakeboy - thanks for letting me know about this! Can't believe I missed it!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Only after Sonic pointed it out did I realize the extent to which EA has completely squandered their Star Wars license. I mean, a small independent company like Zen Studios can produce something as amazing as Star Wars pinball, imagine what great Star Wars games we could get if they released the licenses to everyone?

I'm actually surprised Star Wars Pinball got made at all, considering these horrible exclusivity agreements.

No kidding only thing EA has done are two subpar Battlefront games, mobile trash and vaporware and that soon to be released Jedi game next month and for a big AAA company what a joke!

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » October 14th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Better than the new battlefront games by a huge margin

Return to “Review Feedback”