2019/10/25: Saturn: Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/10/25: Saturn: Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Hope you enjoy this review! Feel free to chime in.

Stalvern

Re: 2019/10/25: Saturn: Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster

Postby Stalvern » October 25th, 2019, 6:19 pm

"The box is thin and made of sturdy black plastic - a far cry from the fragile clear Saturn cases." This should say, "the fragile clear American cases," since you're comparing regions, not systems. I actually got thrown off and wondered for a split second if you were referring to some Genesis port of the game (although part of that was probably from the early confusion in the forum thread about it here).

I wonder if there should be an Adventure Critic, like the C64 Critic and the RPG Crew, since a point-and-click game is all but guaranteed to get a D or F. This review says basically nothing about the game's quality, just that you don't have any interest in the genre, which everyone already knows.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I don't have anything against point and click games. This one is just poorly designed.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 25th, 2019, 10:05 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hope you enjoy this review! Feel free to chime in.

Good review and good thing it was PALand exclusive because most PALand exclusive are shovelware ASS, don't believe me look up Phoenix Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vlvztYCKrc warning: Strong language and garbage ahead in the video.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 25th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Good review and good thing it was PALand exclusive because most PALand exclusive are shovelware ASS

It really depends on the system. The Genesis has a bunch of very decent PAL exclusives, for instance, and most of the Master System's best games were only released in PAL regions.

And yeah, Phoenix Games are infamous, but they're only a fraction of the PlayStation's PAL exclusive library, which has some very decent games in it. The CT Special Forces games are pretty fun, for instance.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 25th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:PALand exclusive are shovelware ***

Language, mister - this is a family website!

I do think I have to agree with Stalvern on this one. Even before this review went live, I had a hunch it would get an F. I guess there's a small victory in that it didn't earn an F-, but based on some rumblings from another topic about this same game, it just didn't seem like something that would be all that fun to play.

I feel bad because I recommended the game Hell for the 3D0 a while ago, but again, I have a hunch it will wind up with an F or an F-. I, myself, like these "product of their time" adventure games with real-life Hollywood actors. Yes, the games often aren't all that great, but I definitely was one that drank the Kool-Aid back in the day when I saw a celebrity's name on a video game box. Toonstruck also comes to mind, as you played the entire game as a digitized Christopher Lloyd. I don't remember the game being all that great, but I remember liking the sense of humor and thinking is was so, so rad to be playing a videogame with an actual well-know Hollywood actor.

Just stay far, far away from Pyst, a spoof of Myst (duh) starring none other than John Goodman. He even sings a song in the game, for cryin' out loud! What a strange game. OK, maybe play that one for curiosity, but just don't go expecting a quality game.

In essence, I guess that's what all of these cheap adventure games with live-action actors boil down to. Some are definitely better than others, but for me, the cheesiness and "quality" of the acting in such games earns them a special place in video game lore. In the case of this site, though, that place tends to be right at the bottom of the scorecard!

So be it. I like the differing points of view, and whether I agree with the reviews or not, they're still fun for me to read. You can't scare me away that easy, Critic ;)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 25th, 2019, 11:19 pm

goldenband wrote:It really depends on the system. The Genesis has a bunch of very decent PAL exclusives, for instance, and most of the Master System's best games were only released in PAL regions.

And yeah, Phoenix Games are infamous, but they're only a fraction of the PlayStation's PAL exclusive library, which has some very decent games in it. The CT Special Forces games are pretty fun, for instance.

It just the PAL region gets a bad rep thanks to companies like Phoenix Games which is sad but true.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 25th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:PALand exclusive are shovelware ***

Language, mister - this is a family website!

Actually the critic is fine with Ass, it only strong language like F***, S***, and A** **** are the forbidden words that need to be removed for the obvious reasons.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 25th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:It just the PAL region gets a bad rep thanks to companies like Phoenix Games which is sad but true.

Maybe to you, clearly based on a very small sampling. Europe has a strong tradition of game development, and there are many systems (mainly computers) that have almost completely European libraries. Overwhelming influence from Japanese and American console gaming diluted its character after the early '90s, but the 8- and 16-bit eras not only saw a separate European "scene" but distinct qualities in each country's games: German and Scandinavian games tend to be technically impressive but conservative in design, French games are fantastical and surreal but often half-baked, Spanish games are action-packed but have the cheapest difficulty, and British games are imaginatively quirky but often irritating to actually play. It's a world that's still almost completely unknown in the States, but I find it much more interesting than (if not always as fun as) American console gaming of the period, which is pretty much an endless parade of platform games, shoot-em-ups, and the occasional fighting game or RPG.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 26th, 2019, 2:55 am

Stalvern wrote:Maybe to you, clearly based on a very small sampling. Europe has a strong tradition of game development, and there are many systems (mainly computers) that have almost completely European libraries. Overwhelming influence from Japanese and American console gaming diluted its character after the early '90s, but the 8- and 16-bit eras not only saw a separate European "scene" but distinct qualities in each country's games: German and Scandinavian games tend to be technically impressive but conservative in design, French games are fantastical and surreal but often half-baked, Spanish games are action-packed but have the cheapest difficulty, and British games are imaginatively quirky but often irritating to actually play. It's a world that's still almost completely unknown in the States, but I find it much more interesting than (if not always as fun as) American console gaming of the period, which is pretty much an endless parade of platform games, shoot-em-ups, and the occasional fighting game or RPG.

Ok I admitted I should have researched better my bad, and yes I do like PAL region developed games like the Rayman series so I do know that the region can produce high quality software just like the Americas and Japan the two other main regions of gaming.

Return to “Review Feedback”