2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
DrLitch

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby DrLitch » November 1st, 2019, 10:21 am

I find there is a correlation between boredom and internet posting.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby Sonicx9 » November 2nd, 2019, 1:13 am

Rather late response due to being busy, but here goes nothing:

DrLitch wrote:
Well as much as I love Bloodstained I have played it three times I am done with it probably forever unless they do DLC and even then I am spent. I only watched Last Jedi once I probably could handle watching Luke Skywalker Astral Travelling again or Leia floating in Space. Not recommended but I can take one for the team if need be :roll:

I know how you feel and Bloodstained and has DLC planned FYI.

DrLitch wrote:Not defending a bad product. Given a choice, only allowed one copy, I would take PS4/Xbox/PC version over the Switch. Easy no brainer choice here. Porting flaws did not make the game trash on the Switch. Compromised, yes. Trash, no. Important to recognize that.

Is it because the internet is overreacting for nothing, or are port/framerate elitist a problem?

DrLitch wrote:One of my favorite games of all time is Horizon Zero Dawn, running at glorious 1080p and 30fps. I say that sarcastically. I do not care, game awesome, end of discussion.

Breath of the Wild WiiU/Switch also among my favorite games. That hardly runs well but what a nice game to run around in anyway.

Another of my favorite games ever, Nier Automata runs like hell on any platform it was released on. PC version is absolutely horrific in particular. Ahhh but the game, pure bliss, one of best ever, I can overlook a lot of things.... also cannot get nude mods on console I should be ashamed of myself...... :cry:

The first two are huge scale open World Action Adventure games that don't need lighting fast framerate so it not that deal breaker. Nier Automata is blamed on Platinum Games weak track record on optimization And what weird is why are people fine with is why are people fine with FPS ports being 30FPS with drops, but not Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, is it double standards much

DrLitch wrote:Internet differences of opinion should be normal, 100 people reading and commenting on conversations impossible for people to agree all the time. That is a good thing. As a problem though, as in drama, no not at all. Most people can separate real drama from differing opinions.

I get what your talking about, understand.

Stalvern wrote:I apologize for losing my patience and being so blunt and harsh. I'm bad at recognizing when I should let my thoughts cool a bit before I put them out, and I definitely jumped the gun here. I'm sorry, Sonicx9.

Thanks for the apology.

Stalvern wrote:I'm sure that I actually have, but I probably wasn't as overt about it because it really is much less of an issue. There's no double standard; it is worse in every possible way to take a cesspool like One Angry Gamer too seriously than it is to take this site too seriously. Who's unhealthier, an overeater or an overeater who eats spoiled food?

Then again, you can also add other cesspools like TV Tropes, Gamefaqs, Metacritic users, Crappy Games wiki, YouTube, Discord, Reddit or even certain people on these sites like people like Allie-RX with extreme comments like "Play any version of Bayonetta you want, but if you pick the PS3 version, you deserve to be mocked, ridiculed and bullied for the rest of your life." (I know I have repeated them many times but only making an exception for this response.) And I should not take all of critics reviews for grant even if I disagree with some every now and then is that correct?

Stalvern wrote:I've said this before, but get some real hobbies. Books, music, and biking mean more to me than chit-chat about video games ever can. Do things that put your mind in a constructive space instead of a corrosive one. I never feel more alive than when I'm speeding down the road on a clear day or diving into an unread classic. I never feel more dead than when I waste an afternoon refreshing websites to see who said what.
I do watch movies and Anime and have done big walking adventure trips as things to keep my mind busy, also trying to get into day programs as well.

Stalvern wrote: Have you thought about seeing a therapist? A professional in the real world would do a lot more to help you than a crowd of faceless Internet people.

I have a therapist and do get help as it is useful when I am feeling down.

DrLitch wrote:
Social Media thing. Convince a group to downvote or negatively comment on something you all disagree with. Goal is to suppress content or rig something in your favor. Gets abused - i.e. you have a rival vendor in an online marketplace and that vendor will get 10 - 20 reviews trashing his/her product.

An example is Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot boxes and recently Borderlands 3 as notable examples of this practise.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sonic-
We all like you here but you're posting too much. As a rule of thumb, I you reply to the same thread more than once on the same day, you're doing it too much. Moderation is key!

Voor wrote:Same here, I recognized I’m posting too much, so I think I need a self-imposed break. See you guys after Christmas!

I will do more moderation and not post so much per day on the same topic which is why I did not do my late responses until now. Thanks Critic and Voor

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So, based on what I've read so far, when faced with something as controversial as Bloodstained on the Switch, you should try to see why some gamers gave it a different review than you would have, and not spam your own hate for it all over the internet. And certainly not review bomb the audience score in order to discredit a critic's grade. That's going too far.

It's unhealthy to hate anything that much, even if you think you're doing the right thing.

And when faced with something as controversial as The Last Jedi, you should casually dismiss all the reasons why some Star Wars fans gave it a different review than you would have, and spam your own hate for it in unrelated topics all over the internet, so that there's no escaping the only opinion that counts.

Also don't mention, at all, the review bombing of the audience score used to discredit critics. Hell, it's been pretty successful so far.

Do I have it right, so far?

No wonder why Sonic's confused.

I admit sorry for the review bomb threat it was because some people like to have the Bronies join the herd mentality of hating something if it popular to do so on the internet like Bloodstained Switch and The Last Jedi, or even the 8th gen consoles from 2013 to 2016 period as the PC Master Race Reddit and YouTube communities where ripping the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U a huge one saying they suck compared to gaming PCs. I should just think more for myself and not bandwagon freek anything to hate cool train?

Buttermancan wrote:Hello Sonic,

I thought that you may have autism, what with your overbearing appeal to authority posts! I think you are a good guy and you clearly love videogames.
Dont' forget that this website was created to talk about our love of videogames! It's natural to have disagreements and what have you but don't let things get to you too much. I think you're love of the medium has led you down the YouTube algorithm path where YouTube often showcases negative content. Perhaps you could focus on some of the more positive aspects of the passtime.

As another poster suggested, it would be a good idea to try and find other hobbies outside of videogames. I apologise if this comes across as condescending as that is not my intention. I have a cousin that has Autism, we always have quite a laugh when together. He is fixated on everything to do with trains ( Certainly could be described as a trainspotter ) and that is what his life revolves around! You should indulge your hobby when appropriate but should do so in a manner that is positive. So many media outlets focus purely on negative topics. This includes Jim Sterling and the like. I enjoy and am enlightened by some of the videos that he produces but things must have a balance! The majority of his output focuses on the negativity of our hobby and that can leave a bad, sour taste, prompting us to question if our hobby is worth it! Autistic people often have a black and white view of things when in reality there is so much more in between!
I hope this post has not come across offensive or belittling? I mean well!

I think you do have great points Buttermancan that are great advice and I did say about other hobbies above for Stalvern case, and will try to do more positive coverage on the passtime/medium and not try to be another Jim Sterling/ReviewTechUSA, etc who love to abuse the YouTube algorithm, and mind you one Video Game YouTube celebrity I like that not extreme and neutral and balance is Liana K, we need more people like her as she does it the right way, something we do not see often in the YouTube Gaming community sadly but truly. I recommend her because she is also hot and a cat lover, something Ozzybear would love for the cats case. And it true with autism is the black and white as a whole as I have a friend on the spectrum that even admit to the problem as well. And on the topic of doing something positive I do plan on doing a Reader Reviews on Blade Strangers for the Nintendo Switch as it a underrated fighting game gem that needs more attention that does not fall into the nickel and dime live service trap for consumers unlike most modern fighting games as that a problem that has turn many people off from the genre in today's market. (looking at you Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, NetherRealm Studios, etc.)

Gleebergloben123 wrote:So we all agree that everyone posts too much here except me :D.

Also Sonix, for what it’s worth, over the last year+, I thought that Stalvern’s past posts to you were quite supportive of you.

You have good points about Stalvern’s past post being quite supportive and thanks Gleebergloben123.

velcrozombie wrote:
Hey Sonicx9, I'm a bit older than you but I wasn't formally diagnosed with autism until four years ago (although I did have a counselor bring up the term Asperger's as early as 2006, she didn't have the ability to make a formal diagnosis). I have had similar issues dealing with the opinions of others over the years, including those relating to video games - I used to have an account at The Escapist forums that I eventually abandoned in an effort to preserve my mental health. I don't know your financial situation or your means to access healthcare - I have Medicaid through a program for working people with disabilities - but working with a counselor or therapist can, over time, do a lot of good in learning to have better control over your thought processes and emotions. It's not an instant solution and it requires a lot of self-reflection and monitoring your behavior in order to make adjustments, but you can make significant progress if you keep at it. Other people have recommended looking at hobbies outside of gaming and I think that is healthy (I'm actually more into playing and writing music than I am into games and I've recently gotten back into learning how to draw starting from the fundamentals) but with the caveat that the issues you have with games will follow you into your other hobbies - you will feel the need to do things "correctly" and second-guess yourself just as much as in gaming. Probably the best piece of advice i can give regarding this is to only take information as needed - don't read a dozen articles and watch hours of video on a game to make sure you are thinking correctly about it, just look at enough to know whether you are interested enough to play it or not and then play it without referencing the thoughts of others. Doing this without caring if you are right about something - without needing the approval of others - will strengthen your own convictions and you will begin to build a more concrete set of personal boundaries, which will further empower you. I just wanted to say that I have been where you are and, while it will never stop being a challenge, you have more power than you realize.

I really like your points velcrozombie, and I should take the advices and some like the different hobbies I mention for Buttermancan and Stalvern case, and will try to do more positive things with the pastime as I do admit I jumped on the Switch Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night hate train because everyone else online was doing the same thing and admitted not played the Switch port so I can not give feedback if the problems are as bad as the hate train says it. I will do Reader Reviews for smaller, more underrated neich games to make things better and more balanced with my upcoming Blade Strangers for the Nintendo Switch Reader Review as it does shows that not all modern fighting games are nickel and dime live service traps.

DrLitch wrote:I find there is a correlation between boredom and internet posting.

In a way yes, and I am guilty about it so I will try to balance my self more in the future.

Sorry for the long response glad I had a break.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am

Sonicx9 wrote:I know how you feel and Bloodstained and has DLC planned FYI.

I will probably play it :lol:

Sonicx9 wrote:Is it because the internet is overreacting for nothing, or are port/framerate elitist a problem?

The few lead the many. Many people complaining about the port have never played it. Case of small percentage of disgrunted voices followed by mob rule.

People will also say any BS for upvotes - a mechanism where someone you do not know and have no reason to care about clicks a little icon because they like what you said. Apparently addictive.

Dave/Critic done good on this site by not implementing an upvote system.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 2nd, 2019, 12:17 pm

DrLitch wrote:I will probably play it :lol:

It quite a lot of DLC from the Kickstarter stretch goals so be prepared to be busy when all of it comes out.

DrLitch wrote:The few lead the many. Many people complaining about the port have never played it. Case of small percentage of disgrunted voices followed by mob rule.

People will also say any BS for upvotes - a mechanism where someone you do not know and have no reason to care about clicks a little icon because they like what you said. Apparently addictive.

Dave/Critic done good on this site by not implementing an upvote system.

You have a point about the mob rule mentality along with the BS upvotes, it does cause a lot of problems and it shows.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 7th, 2019, 10:43 am

Finally sat down and played Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for about an hour and a half last night. I didn't get very far (I probably spent a good half-hour looking for a double-jump ability that shows up later on after I couldn't reach some out-of-the-way places on the ship) but it's everything I was hoping for so far as a SOTN fan, and much better than the early trailers led me to believe it would be. Apart from load times and a menu that took a bit of extra time to respond once or twice, I received a glitch in the middle of the cutscene where you first meet the exorcist where everything momentarily turned into a mess of gray pixels- I guess all versions of the game have their issues.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 7th, 2019, 4:53 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Finally sat down and played Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for about an hour and a half last night. I didn't get very far (I probably spent a good half-hour looking for a double-jump ability that shows up later on after I couldn't reach some out-of-the-way places on the ship) but it's everything I was hoping for so far as a SOTN fan, and much better than the early trailers led me to believe it would be. Apart from load times and a menu that took a bit of extra time to respond once or twice, I received a glitch in the middle of the cutscene where you first meet the exorcist where everything momentarily turned into a mess of gray pixels- I guess all versions of the game have their issues.

True, but the worst one in that case is Switch.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 16th, 2020, 8:13 am

I just "finished" Ritual of the Night, thought I'd give my thoughts. I beat Gebel, but apparantly (after consulting a guide), you're not supposed to beat him, but instead use a specific weapon and hit the moon when it turns red when you are about halfway through the battle with him. WTF? How on earth would anyone know that without consulting a guide! If you hit the moon, then you are many more areas to explore but it you beat Gebel, you get the "bad" ending.

Also, I found it strange that there are so many weapons, and armour, etc, but you don't really need any of them. Up to this point, I only used about 3 different weapons, and everything else was woefully underpowered with their stats. Most weapons I didn't use.

I generally enjoyed this game though, but I think I've had enough and will not be exploring the game after Gebel. For one, I have no idea where to find the Zangetsu sword that I need to hit the moon with. I just feel that I've played enough.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

bluenote wrote:I just "finished" Ritual of the Night, thought I'd give my thoughts. I beat Gebel, but apparantly (after consulting a guide), you're not supposed to beat him, but instead use a specific weapon and hit the moon when it turns red when you are about halfway through the battle with him. WTF? How on earth would anyone know that without consulting a guide! If you hit the moon, then you are many more areas to explore but it you beat Gebel, you get the "bad" ending.

Also, I found it strange that there are so many weapons, and armour, etc, but you don't really need any of them. Up to this point, I only used about 3 different weapons, and everything else was woefully underpowered with their stats. Most weapons I didn't use.

I generally enjoyed this game though, but I think I've had enough and will not be exploring the game after Gebel. For one, I have no idea where to find the Zangetsu sword that I need to hit the moon with. I just feel that I've played enough.

Oh, one other thing: I played the Switch version, and it is glitchy as hell! My character would get stuck constantly in a crouching position, and sometimes I would go to the menu and the curser would scroll like crazy with me not touching the controller. Bit frustrating, but not a game breaker though.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 12th, 2021, 1:10 am

I feel kinda bad for dredging this old thread up (what went down on the first few pages was part of the reason why I took an extended break from the message boards) but, as I am currently playing Bloodstained: ROTN on the Switch, I wanted to chime in.

I mentioned in a [now years-old] previous post that I had picked up ROTN on the Xbox One, but I never got around to playing it, and ended up selling if off along with the rest of my X1 games last year. I recently saw the Switch version at a local pawn shop for $15, so I thought, what the heck, let's try it out.

In short, I'm very impressed! I've only played for a few hours, but so far, the game has run well and is definitely keeping me hooked. I'm playing exclusively in handheld mode, and I like that I can tweak the volume of the music (up) sound effects (down) and voice acting (OFF) to make the game more pleasant on the small built-in speakers. The contrast and colors of the game play nicely with the darker lighting, and give the castle a real spooky, mysterious vibe.

While I haven't hit any technical issues yet, I think this is mostly a product of playing the game in mid-2021, after it's been patched to Hell and back. I also seemed to have unlocked quite a bit of content after I updated the game and booted it up for the first time, so it seems like a lot of extras have been added in over the years. Classic Mode, in particular, has me interested, but I want to hold off on playing it until after I complete the main game.

Like The Critic said in his review, this is one game that keeps you looking forward to it when you're not playing it. I spent today working in the garden and doing household chores, and I couldn't wait to get everything done so I could get down to some game time. So far, I'm having a blast!

AllieRX

Postby AllieRX » August 10th, 2022, 9:52 pm

Bloodstained: ROTN is a phenomenal game, but the Nintendo Switch port is not good at all. I don't think this review should score it that high. I'd say D+.

Even if you take portability into consideration, it's a 2.5D Metroidvania, and a 2.5D Metroidvania should not run at 30fps and at the performance it does on the Switch.

And it went through a number of patches and updates and it's still not a good port.

I think it was somewhat rushed given the game was originally intended for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Wii U and PS Vita, but not the Switch.

Return to “Review Feedback”