2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2019, 7:28 pm

More Halloween-related reviews for ya! Check it out.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby Sonicx9 » October 29th, 2019, 11:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:More Halloween-related reviews for ya! Check it out.

This is interesting as you gave Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on Switch a lower score despite the Switch port being fine, yet you gave the crappy Switch version of Ritual of the Night a B+ even though the port is a hot mess.: https://bit.ly/34aPuvl

Maybe if critic reviewed the PS4 version it would be around that score, and the Switch version drop to a C-/D+ range due to the ports terrible problems?

Also should I review bomb or no?

And other things worth mentioning is Miriam is the whip girl in Curse of the Moon FYI, and you did make a little mistake saying E10+ for Curse of the Moon when it got re-rated T not long after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ywb6cQWQ8 and https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/b ... on-switch/. I expect lots of user Review bombs for giving a crappy port a good score especially with a 30FPS cap which is a crime for a 2.5D Platformer game, especially considering the amazing Mega Man 11 is 60FPS like it should be on Switch.

Buttermancan

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby Buttermancan » October 30th, 2019, 4:14 am

Sonicx9 wrote:

This is interesting as you gave Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on Switch a lower score despite the Switch port being fine, yet you gave the crappy Switch version of Ritual of the Night a B+ even though the port is a hot mess.: https://bit.ly/34aPuvl

Maybe if critic reviewed the PS4 version it would be around that score, and the Switch version drop to a C-/D+ range due to the ports terrible problems?

And other things worth mentioning is Miriam is the whip girl in Curse of the Moon FYI, and you did make a little mistake saying E10+ for Curse of the Moon when it got re-rated T not long after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ywb6cQWQ8 and https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/b ... on-switch/. I expect lots of user Review bombs for giving a crappy port a good score especially with a 30FPS cap which is a crime for a 2.5D Platformer game, especially considering the amazing Mega Man 11 is 60FPS like it should be on Switch.

Sonic, obviously you know that Dave has only played the Switch port of Ritual of the Night! That's all he has to go on and he's enjoyed it. I've played inferior ports on the Switch and still enjoyed them. If someday he plays the other versions of RotN perhaps the Switch score will be revised. We'll have to wait and see!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2019, 4:21 am

Buttermancan wrote:
Sonic, obviously you know that Dave has only played the Switch port of Ritual of the Night! That's all he has to go on and he's enjoyed it. I've played inferior ports on the Switch and still enjoyed them. If someday he plays the other versions of RotN perhaps the Switch score will be revised. We'll have to wait and see!

I know, it just people on sites like reddit, Gamefaqs, Twitter, Metacritic user reviews and Crappy Games Wiki, etc. Love ro hate on the ports guts that all.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 30th, 2019, 9:00 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Also should I review bomb or no?

Do it and you're permanently banned.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 30th, 2019, 10:28 am

Sonicx9 wrote:

Are you serious? Why would you even consider such a childish tactic? Dude, stop taking this to such a weird, personal level! If people enjoy it, despite any flaws, what’s it to you? You almost seem perturbed when people don’t see what you see, or feel as you feel. Dave’s been doing this for a long time and part of the reason why I’ve been a member of the site for the past fifteen years is because he doesn’t subscribe to group think. Bloodborne is a universally lauded game, and he gave it a D! Everybody loved Viewtiful Joe, and I think he gave it a C+! You should be happy that he doesn’t follow the herd mentality.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » October 30th, 2019, 11:30 am

Great reviews! I played Curse of the Moon on the 3DS, and it was a nice treat. It reminded me of how much I really like the "Classicvania" style of gameplay. I liked how it went all in with the NES aesthetic, but clearly could never be done on an NES.

Unfortunately, my experience with Ritual of the Night was not quite as good. I played on PC, but after about 8 hours in I came across a game breaking bug. The game straight up crashes about 5 minutes after I load up my save! It doesn't matter which direction I go or what I'm doing, the screen just flat out freezes, and only a hard rest of my PC will fix it (no ctrl alt del even). I guess this will teach me to have multiple save files going next time! Up until that point I was having a blast with the game, but I think I'm just going to wait until the big patch comes and I'll try again, probably starting from scratch since it's now been a few months and I have no clue where I was or what I was doing. I definitely do want to go back to it, because I really was enjoying what I did play!

Then there's the issue of Sonicx9. If you want to enjoy Reddit and GameFAQs and all those other gaming websites, that's fantastic. I'm honestly a regular on the IGN boards. I'll listen to a Jim Sterling rant occasionally. But part of why I enjoy coming here is to get away from the noise a bit. I'm a classic gamer at heart, and this site reminds me of how to enjoy video games like I did when I was a kid. Video games are supposed to be fun, yet you seem to want to be outraged by video games sometimes. If you can't handle a game running at 30fps, that's fine, but just use that information to inform your purchasing decisions. I have a Switch, but I also have a gaming PC. I bought Bloodstained on the PC because sometimes I do enjoy prettier graphics. But I'm not upset by the Switch port; in fact, my mindset is more of a fascination about what they had to do to get it running on such weaker hardware. Sure, it could have been a better port, but it also sounds like Dave had a better time playing it on his Switch than I did playing on my PC considering he could actually finish the game! I'm sure I have a point in here somewhere, but I'm going to stop before I just keep rambling on some more.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Glad to see Dave overlook some of the technical aspects with this game. It is a fun title no matter what. That versions of the game exist at glorious 1080p and 60fps does not turn Beer into Bud.

Sonicx9 wrote:This is interesting as you gave Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on Switch a lower score despite the Switch port being fine, yet you gave the crappy Switch version of Ritual of the Night a B+ even though the port is a hot mess.: https://bit.ly/34aPuvl

Circle of the Moon was a fun little nostalgic title. Dave gave it more credit that it deserved IMO.

Sonicx9 wrote:Maybe if critic reviewed the PS4 version it would be around that score, and the Switch version drop to a C-/D+ range due to the ports terrible problems?

So basically if you were to review a beauty pageant, the beautiful lady would be called ugly if she had a single blemish on her cheek, lets say a little mole. This is pretty much what you are saying.

Sonicx9 wrote:Also should I review bomb or no?

You would be so angry and wound up were such a thing to happen with something you agree with. Apparently the converse is true with something you do not agree with. Bit of an issue here. In what way is this different behavior wise to the "bad" people you refer to on the toxic forums?

Sonicx9 wrote:amazing Mega Man 11 is 60FPS like it should be on Switch.

I can emulate Mega Man 11 on a $400 Laptop. I do not think this game is very demanding at all.

Sonicx9 wrote:I know, it just people on sites like reddit, Gamefaqs, Twitter, Metacritic user reviews and Crappy Games Wiki, etc. Love ro hate on the ports guts that all.

And back to the beauty pageant analogy. These virgins would turn down a date with a beautiful woman who has a single facial blemish, a mole on her cheek all the while writing articles on how "portrayal of beauty in ...." is oppressive to women. If these clowns are the yardstick you want to measure yourself by, then go ahead, each to their own. Just do not expect me to place a significant stock on anything they have to say.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Ok, I know I have been causing controversy, but here goes nothing.

ActRaiser wrote:
Do it and you're permanently banned.

I am sorry, I said that I won't do it again.

BanjoPickles wrote:
Are you serious? Why would you even consider such a childish tactic? Dude, stop taking this to such a weird, personal level! If people enjoy it, despite any flaws, what’s it to you? You almost seem perturbed when people don’t see what you see, or feel as you feel. Dave’s been doing this for a long time and part of the reason why I’ve been a member of the site for the past fifteen years is because he doesn’t subscribe to group think. Bloodborne is a universally lauded game, and he gave it a D! Everybody loved Viewtiful Joe, and I think he gave it a C+! You should be happy that he doesn’t follow the herd mentality.

The thing is I 100% disagree with the critic review of Switch Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and want him to go out and review the superior PS4 version, and sorry if I take his opinion too seriously. Also is there a problem if I take critics reviews too seriously because others say I take many things related with gaming too seriously in regards to opinions especially if they are not the popular opinions on the internet and what not. Also the main reason I view the critic not a fan of the 8th gen is based on reviews like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (gave the inferior 3DS version a high grade despite the Wii U version being better.), Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, The Wonderful 101, NES Remix Pack, Sunset Overdrive, Soulcalibur VI and Tekken 7 (both got lower scores then the god awful Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric game WTF!), Bloodborne (same thing), The King of Fighters XIV (the incomplete mess Street Fighter V getting a higher score blows my mind!) Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (see what I mean about Dave the Video Game critic not being crazy about the 8th gen is with scores like this.), God of War 2018 (same thing as well). Also why did critic give the not so great Yooka-Laylee a B- when it deserves a C-/D+ range as many people hate it guts like Jim Sterling. And combined with that along with polarizing opinions of the 8th gen on many social media outlist such as the PC Master Race community and people like ReviewTechUSA being unimpresed with the gen makes it hard for me to like this gen and it a fact. Also this is how I view the Switch version of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night "Play any version of Bayonetta you want, but if you pick the PS3 version, you deserve to be mocked, ridiculed and bullied for the rest of your life." Allie-RX Twitter quote: https://twitter.com/AllieRX/status/1189394372900610048, it the exact same thing for Switch Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the same/similar reasons. And BTW I message Allie-RX on Facebook saying this "You are not going to like these two reviews of God of War 2018 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and he said this ">God Of War and Sonic Boom both have a C+ score" with emoji symbols, Gotta love this guy's tastes!" Shows that Allie-RX agrees with me that the critic has bad video game taste with the 8th gen and 100% agree with him on. And BTW Banjo Viewtiful Joe is a B-, not a C+, make sure you check the review first before you point it out.

evergreen13 wrote:Then there's the issue of Sonicx9. If you want to enjoy Reddit and GameFAQs and all those other gaming websites, that's fantastic. I'm honestly a regular on the IGN boards. I'll listen to a Jim Sterling rant occasionally. But part of why I enjoy coming here is to get away from the noise a bit. I'm a classic gamer at heart, and this site reminds me of how to enjoy video games like I did when I was a kid. Video games are supposed to be fun, yet you seem to want to be outraged by video games sometimes. If you can't handle a game running at 30fps, that's fine, but just use that information to inform your purchasing decisions. I have a Switch, but I also have a gaming PC. I bought Bloodstained on the PC because sometimes I do enjoy prettier graphics. But I'm not upset by the Switch port; in fact, my mindset is more of a fascination about what they had to do to get it running on such weaker hardware. Sure, it could have been a better port, but it also sounds like Dave had a better time playing it on his Switch than I did playing on my PC considering he could actually finish the game! I'm sure I have a point in here somewhere, but I'm going to stop before I just keep rambling on some more.

Maybe I should stop taking critic reviews for grant then?

DrLitch wrote:I can emulate Mega Man 11 on a $400 Laptop. I do not think this game is very demanding at all.

Wrong Mega Man 11 requires a core i5 on official system requirements just like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night on PC, and the former is 60FPS on Switch, exposed!

DrLitch wrote:Glad to see Dave overlook some of the technical aspects with this game. It is a fun title no matter what. That versions of the game exist at glorious 1080p and 60fps does not turn Beer into Bud.

So basically if you were to review a beauty pageant, the beautiful lady would be called ugly if she had a single blemish on her cheek, lets say a little mole. This is pretty much what you are saying.

You would be so angry and wound up were such a thing to happen with something you agree with. Apparently the converse is true with something you do not agree with. Bit of an issue here. In what way is this different behavior wise to the "bad" people you refer to on the toxic forums?

And back to the beauty pageant analogy. These virgins would turn down a date with a beautiful woman who has a single facial blemish, a mole on her cheek all the while writing articles on how "portrayal of beauty in ...." is oppressive to women. If these clowns are the yardstick you want to measure yourself by, then go ahead, each to their own. Just do not expect me to place a significant stock on anything they have to say.

Last thing is should I create a change.org Petition for critic to go out and review the PS4 version because that the real version he should be playing/reviewing not the crappy Switch port or is that going to far even for me?

If I am complaining too much, maybe I should be banned from the site, and Stalvern should block me because as he recently threaten me to be blocked on the site, it just I don't know how to control my self on the internet especially when it comes to polarizing opinions, help?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Forgot to mention this, but Japan is smarter then the west on what version to buy for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night: https://gematsu.com/2019/10/famitsu-sal ... 9-10-27-19 even thought the game in the UK did better on Switch compared to the others WTF: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/bloo ... ned-in-uk/

Return to “Review Feedback”