2019/11/15: Sega Master System: California Games, Streets of Rage

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/11/15: Sega Master System: California Games, Streets of Rage

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2019, 3:28 pm

I'd like to get your take on my latest set of Sega Master System reviews.

ASalvaro

Re: 2019/11/15: Sega Master System: California Games, Streets of Rage

Postby ASalvaro » November 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm

excellent reviews and shows why i got rid of my NES back in the day to get a SMS

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 16th, 2019, 12:28 am

Ahh, some much needed Master System reviews- nice.

Ok, it’s official- now you have to review the NES version of California Games! That’s the version I grew up on- me and my brother had a blast playing it together all the time. For US gamers, it’s probably the most common version they’ve played, I’d guess. And based on your review of this version, the NES and SMS versions sound virtually identical. So, since you’ve called the SMS version the best one, now I’m hoping you try NES just to be sure.

I’ve never played the SMS version, but if I was a betting man, I’d predict the NES version would win by a slight edge.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 16th, 2019, 2:05 am

I absolutely *love* the old ads in that screenshot for California Games. I'm guessing there was some legit sponsoring / product placement going on there, as the 8-bit representations of the Santa Cruz, OP, and Spin Jammer logos are pretty spot-on, especially given the limited resolution and color pallete.

I can't speak for everyone, but I definitely had a Santa Cruz skateboard, a few pairs of OP shorts, and a hot pink Spin Jammer disc around that point in time. Maaaaan, seeing all those ads in one place just brings back a tidal wave of memories.

Advertising in video games was pretty rare back then, unless, you know, you had a whole game dedicated to a certain brand, like the T&C Surf Design games on the NES. Do any of the other versions of California Games have logos / ads like these in place?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 16th, 2019, 3:10 am

Matchstick wrote:Do any of the other versions of California Games have logos / ads like these in place?

Yes, the NES version does. (And I assume the others as well.) There’s several other companies too, besides just the ones you see in that screenshot. Casio, Milton Bradley, and Kawasaki for example. In fact, at the beginning of the game you select what sponsor you want to play for.

Retro STrife wrote:I’ve never played the SMS version, but if I was a betting man, I’d predict the NES version would win by a slight edge.

^ Not sure why I picked NES here.. After just watching a comparison video, the SMS looks to have the edge. Its graphics are better of course. And some of the modes look like they control better- especially skateboarding (which always felt broken to me in the NES version). But either way, it looks like a close call.

But better yet, I just looked at my SMS collection and was surprised to see that I own California Games for that system. I didn’t realize before. Maybe I’ll have to check it out for myself.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 16th, 2019, 8:30 am

Awesome to see new Master System reviews. The Streets of Rage port is indeed quite good -- I played it a fair bit years ago. It needs one of those "Europe" tags, doesn't it? I don't believe it came out in North America.

Re: California Games, a streamer I follow recently did a playthrough of literally every version of CG he could find (consoles and handhelds at least, I don't remember if he did 8-bit computers). I think the Master System, Lynx, and Atari 2600 versions came out at or near the top of the heap.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 16th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Yes, the NES version does. (And I assume the others as well.) There’s several other companies too, besides just the ones you see in that screenshot. Casio, Milton Bradley, and Kawasaki for example. In fact, at the beginning of the game you select what sponsor you want to play for.

Wooooooow. How cool is that??

Makes me laugh that Milton Bradley is one of the "sponsors." I mean, yeah, that makes sense - they published the game, for cryin' out loud! Knowing that you get to pick who you ride for is just too cool. It's like being a skateboarder and turning pro, being able to take your pick. Very cool, especially for a game from the era.

Me, personally? I'd take Casio all day. I still rock the Casio Databank wristwatch (AKA "The Calculator") on a regular basis and consider it to be one of the finest timepieces I have ever owned, as well as one of the most reliable and convenient. Even had a Casio Sport personal cassette player (you know, a Walkman...) when I was younger, too. You'd better believe I'll be a homer for them in California Games if I ever get around to playing it!

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm

This review makes me want to find the time to plug in my 7800 and break out my copy of California Games (believe it was the 7800 version). Half pipe was incredibly fun and frustrating trying to hit those hand plants without face planting.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 17th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Good reviews VGC. Just one typo, Streets of Rage (2nd line) “...his 8-bit version...”

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Only one typo huh? That's an improvement. I may finally be getting a knack for this whole English language thing!

Return to “Review Feedback”