2019/12/22: Xbox One: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Gentlegamer

Re: 2019/12/22: Xbox One: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Postby Gentlegamer » January 2nd, 2020, 6:18 am

I recently played the nuRaider trilogy, the first two are good, but Shadow is mediocre at best.

Matchstick

Re: 2019/12/22: Xbox One: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Postby Matchstick » January 10th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Been watching my wife play this one lately, also on the Xbox One. It was one of the games included with her Game Pass trial, so she figured she'd give it a go before the "3 months for $1" deal expired.

While I haven't been present for every second of the game, it looks... OK. I swear, every time I look up or walk into the room, Lara is doing the exact same thing - crawling upwards through some narrow, claustrophobic rock tunnel. Sometimes it's underwater, sometimes it's at night, but I swear I've seen that same tunnel-crawling sequence four or five times now.

That, and there seems to be an overabundance of underwater segments in the game. Yes, it's a bit of a Tomb Raider staple, but I feel like at least half of this game has taken place underwater. I was walking down the hallway from another room last night, and before I even turned the corner to go into the living room, I said out loud, "Let me guess, you're underwater again?" And I was right!

One gripe with this series: how come, in the first game of the new trilogy, when Lara finishes a so-called "Challenge Tomb" the fitting message "Tomb Raided" pops up on the screen, but in the next two games, the message reads "Tomb Completed," instead? What a cop-out! Last time I checked, the name of the game isn't "Tomb Completer!"

My wife was so irked by this change in the last game, Rise of the Tomb Raider, that she wrote an e-mail to Square Enix voicing her disappointment, hoping that other fans would follow suit and get it changed back. Apparently, that didn't happen.

To me, that small oversight sums up the entire experience with SotTR - the game does many things very well, but just can't the little things right.

Return to “Review Feedback”