2020/1/3: Playstation: Blast Chamber, Racing Lagoon (Japan)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/1/3: Playstation: Blast Chamber, Racing Lagoon (Japan)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2020, 8:22 pm

Here are two new PS1 reviews you may find interesting. Keep in mind you'll need a modded PS1 to play Racing Lagoon.

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/1/3: Playstation: Blast Chamber, Racing Lagoon (Japan)

Postby Retro STrife » January 4th, 2020, 12:54 am

Really churning out the reviews the past week! Always glad to see some obscure PS1 games. Racing Lagoon sounds cool. The interface looks like a mash-up of Ridge Racer Type 4 and Gran Turismo (PS1), while the concept sounds like a precursor to Metropolis Street Racer, which I loved on the Dreamcast. Any reason for putting it as "NA" and not giving it a score? I figured NA was usually reserved for unfinished games or oddities (like educational games). While it's an import, you seemed to get the full experience from it.

Blast Chamber is a game I have on the Saturn, but never played it. The cover art is pretty appealing -- looks like a cool futuristic shooter. But sounds like the gameplay doesn't match up. I'll be avoiding that one thanks to this review.

By the way, if you're looking to break out your PS1 multi-tap again, I'd recommend a 4-player revisit of your Poy Poy review. Back in 1999, you rated it an A and heaped high praise on it (i.e., you even called it the "best multiplayer game of all time".. Warlords be damned!). I bought it a couple years ago based on that old review and it seems like time has not been kind to Poy Poy. My friends didn't last long with it before I was getting groans to move on. I'd be interested to see how you guys feel if you play it again.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 4th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Why is Racing Lagoon given an NA? Was the language barrier so significant you felt you couldn't properly rate the game?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Yeah I added an extra line in there saying that while I was able to progress through several tracks, I don't think I completed a substantial amount of the game. It is an RPG after all.

Agree about revisiting Poy Poy!

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » February 9th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Nice to hear I wasn't the only one that was disappointed in Blast Chamber. Wanted that game to live up to its potential sooooo badly and it just never did. Still consider it one of my bigger PS1 letdowns.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » August 10th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Stumbled upon this a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwTHKuMXOdc&t=3s

This dude is working on an English translation patch for Racing Lagoon - hopefully it'll finally make the game accessible and eligible for a final grade. :)

Return to “Review Feedback”